Talk

Advanced search

To want to put a fence up in my garden?

(18 Posts)
PenguinBear Thu 30-May-13 11:59:43

We have a newish house with a fairly small garden. On one side there is a fence ( we are the first house in the close) but the other has a sort of green wirery fence barely even waist height.

I want to put up a wooden fence so we can (both sides) have some privacy! It's a nice one with a wavy pattern at the top.

The neighbours next door are mid 70s and have lived here since the houses were built..
I know their 'old neighbours' didn't mind the low fence as they were of similar she and chatted over the fence.

I feel like we can't use our garden as I worry about being spotted. Plus he is a nosey whatsit and likes to know what's going on.

Do I need to say anything? We rarely see them and never seem to get past the 'good morning' stage. He lives with his wife and we barely see her, think I've only ever seen her twice in 2 years.

He has a green house on his side and DP says we will block his light.

LIZS Thu 30-May-13 12:03:47

You are entitled to build a fence your side even if the boundary sir not "yours". It would be polite to mention it first especially wrt the greenhouse although our neighbours sited theirs next to our west facing fence to no ill effect. Maybe a 4 ft fence and trellis would work ? Check there are no covenants regarding garden fences too before you start (may limit height, style etc. )

UserError Thu 30-May-13 12:06:28

I'd mention it first, but you certainly don't need their permission. Something like a quick 'Oh, just wanted to let you know that we're putting a new fence in, in case you wondered what all the hammering noise was! Shouldn't take too long anyway.'

PenguinBear Thu 30-May-13 12:11:17

I never see him... Is it a knock on the door type mention? I hate things like that and avoid at all costs blush

LIZS Thu 30-May-13 12:18:05

yes , or you could put a note through if no reply.

Bobyan Thu 30-May-13 12:30:02

Tell them your preparing for your new dog grin

PoppyWearer Thu 30-May-13 12:37:51

We have those fences on both sides of our garden.

Since moving in we have left the fences but planted a fuckload of few large bushes which after a couple of years are screening off the neighbouring gardens nicely. grin

<insert bush jokes here>

PenguinBear Thu 30-May-13 16:36:15

I suppose that would be another option... Though expect it would take years to get to the required 6ft grin

you need to check the laws on fence heights, google it as I think you can only build up to a certain height. as we discovered when we wanted to build ours to screen out next doors hideous 'conservatory' shed type lean to

Morgause Thu 30-May-13 16:46:29

There will almost certainly be a height restriction on fences for new build houses.

PenguinBear Fri 31-May-13 20:06:37

I have spoken to him... He was in the garden when I was hanging out the washing and mentioned how I really liked his fence (the other side!) and said we wanted something similar. So he knows I'm doing it! smile

DeWe Fri 31-May-13 20:33:00

Are they your boundries?
The way it works round here is you own the back fence and one side and your neighbour owns one side.

digerd Fri 31-May-13 20:48:23

One of our neighbours has erected a fence on her side of the boudary despite the fence behind it belonging to her neighbours, and is higher than the neighbours. She doesn't speak to them.
Her neighbours were actually pleased as it gave them more privacy from her. smile

UserError Sat 01-Jun-13 13:38:39

Huzzah! Subtly done, too.

Noideairrington Sat 01-Jun-13 13:46:10

Recommend planting some laurel instead - grows fast, not expensive and gets as big as you want, only need to trim once a year and is basically indestructible. A lot nicer for both but still gives you privacy.

everlong Sat 01-Jun-13 15:05:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

2rebecca Sat 01-Jun-13 16:06:13

I prefer hedges but they take a while. We have a mix of fences and stone walls but none of them are that high because the gardens are fairly small and would be permanently shady if we all had huge fences. I'd rather have a beer in the sun and chat to my neighbours than a shady beer in private. I can go inside if I want privacy.

itsnothingoriginal Sat 01-Jun-13 20:38:34

Laurel is quick - mine got to 10ft in 2 yrs! It will take up space if you have a small garden. I decided I needed privacy more than space grin

You could attach some some bamboo screening to the wire fence on your side which allows for light privacy rather than total obliteration of your neighbours?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now