Talk

Advanced search

To think the PDSA are absolutely wonderful?

(31 Posts)
lougle Wed 29-May-13 19:50:05

The PDSA (People's Dispensary for Sick Animals) is a charitable organisation which provides vetinary care for people on low incomes in receipt of Housing Benefit/ Council Tax Benefit (Council Tax Reduction).

This morning my father spoke to me and said that his dog had taken a turn for the worse. He'd been a bit wobbly, and is fairly old. However, he wouldn't eat dinner last night. This morning he couldn't stand up. Dad had taken him out to have a wee, but had to hold him up, and his breathing was laboured. He wouldn't even drink from Dad's cupped hand.

I telephoned PDSA at 07.30. They don't open until 9am, so I called their emergency number.

They were absolutely wonderful. Mum and Dad couldn't find their Council Tax award (they get pension credit) and the woman said not to worry, they'd deal with it and to bring the dog in by 08.30.

We got there, went to reception. The vet immediately came out and said 'paperwork later, let's see to your dog.'

She quickly and kindly examined him, and gave the opinion that he probably had a tumour in his chest, but given his legs it wasn't kind to investigate further and that he was incredibly poorly. She offered to euthenise him and did so kindly and compassionately.

They offered to deal with paperwork tomorrow, but Dad wanted it done. The receptionist phoned the local council, explained that Dad had just lost his dog but they needed proof of his benefit. It was quickly confirmed, and they sorted the paperwork swiftly.

God bless the people who donate to keep the PDSA running.

HoHoHoNoYouDont Wed 29-May-13 19:55:01

It's always a sad time when a pet dies so I hope your dad is ok.

It's lovely to hear a positive story and I will certainly make a small donation to them when I get paid.

Perhaps sometime in the future your dad might feel like homing a rescue dog?

issey6cats Wed 29-May-13 19:56:26

you are right unlike some of the vets i know and other charitable orginisations the PDSA puts animals first and so glad that though your dad still had to have his dog PTS sleep that they made it as stress free as they could

lougle Wed 29-May-13 19:58:21

The dog he lost was a rescue, 11 years ago smile

I'll never forget it. Mum and Dad had walked down to the village, and they saw some dogs in the back of a car. One of them was pitifully thin and weak looking. A woman saw them and said she was trying to get rid of him because he was the runt of the litter and other dogs picked on him. He was about 5 months old.

They opened the door and didn't walk in. I looked into the hallway, and in tottered this wobbly, weak, scared dog.

11 years later he's left them.

Toughasoldboots Wed 29-May-13 19:58:32

That's so nice to hear, sorry about your Dad's dog, glad that his ending was peaceful.
Donate to them instead of RSPCA.

ExitPursuedByABear Wed 29-May-13 20:00:38

Agree. The PDSA do great work and ALWAYS put the animal first.

OctopusWrangler Wed 29-May-13 20:03:32

They're good people. I've had cause to be grateful for their help before.

wankerchief Wed 29-May-13 20:12:05

I think the PDSA are great
They sorted out out old dogs leg op when our pet insurers fucked us over, they dealt with the insurers for us too. Dh had been made redundant and we lost our home a few months before and it was the first nice thing that had happened to us in months.

Its been a few years since and now we are back on track we donate every month so they can help others.

lougle Wed 29-May-13 20:13:48

They never put pressure on the donation, either. They simply say 'would you like to make a donation today?'

Dad could only give £20 today, and the cost was likely much more, especially as they will cremate the dog, but they were as kind and respectful as if he'd given £100.

bassetfeet Wed 29-May-13 20:40:44

A wonderful place indeed. Kind care and lovely vets /reception staff .
My old dog was treat with such gentleness in her last days .....and I was also .
The vet lay on the floor beside my old gal as she was so weak . That meant a lot to me .

I gave as much as I could for care given with help from family .

manticlimactic Wed 29-May-13 20:46:32

They ARE wonderful, they have always been great when it comes to my pets. Much better than Vets for Pets <hollow laugh> who couldn't see my neighbours seriously ill cat for 8 hours as the only vet was operating. No offer of contact details for another vet.

ChazDingle Wed 29-May-13 20:47:39

i don't have pets myself but my only experience of the PDSA i wasn't impressed with them (derby branch). I was going to work and a car in front hit a cat. The cat was obviously really injured and it ran off under a parked car. We tried to get it out but it kept hissing at us if we tried to go near it and cus it was under the car it was difficult to even get near it. This was literally outside the door of the PDSA so i nipped in thinking they would perhaps have equipment and would be able to come out to help us get the cat. The woman on the desk said they weren't allowed to come out to animals as they weren't insured to do that, i said it was only out the front but she said we'd have to bring it in. We tried again but no joy so the cat ended up getting left there no way to get it out. I think someone possibly called a vet to see if they could come out but not sure what happened

TidyDancer Wed 29-May-13 21:12:50

Oh. sad I'm so sorry for your dad's loss. You are right though, the PDSA do a wonderful job and thank God for the likes of them.

SillyTilly123 Wed 29-May-13 21:22:21

I always donate my old clothes to the pdsa, they collect too which is great. I've had loads of positive experiences with them, and it really bugs me when I hear people in the waiting rooms moaning at the amount of wait there is. I feel like saying 'if you dont want to wait-go private!' My old boss (loads of money) would ask someone he knew to register his dog with pdsa so he didnt have to pay vets fees angry

BigGreenFrog Wed 29-May-13 21:24:09

Agree they are a great organisation. I always buy Christmas cards & wrap, calendars and diaries for stocking fillers from their shop in our town. I believe most of the money goes to the charity, as opposed to buying charity cards from another retailer.

SillyTilly123 Wed 29-May-13 21:24:10

I have very little money (which is why im entitled to pdsa help) but I always make a small donation and try to donate where ever else I can (ie buy xmas cards in their shop)

Thumbtack Wed 29-May-13 21:47:54

Yes PDSA get my vote too.

MimsyBorogroves Wed 29-May-13 21:55:33

Wonderful people.

I found a kitten in a bag, and took him to our local place. I was working at the time (though not on much money), explained the situation and that I didn't have my bag with me - I just wanted him checked over as soon as possible. Told them I wasn't entitled to help.

They saw him anyway, checked him all over, gave him something to eat, wormed and flead him and gave him his first inoculations. They knew I wanted to keep him and gave me a cat carrier and shooed me back out of the door.

I went back later with a large donation.

And I still have the now large, grumpy, orange oaf.

ExitPursuedByABear Wed 29-May-13 22:04:04

Think we need a photo mimsy

bassetfeet Wed 29-May-13 22:20:33

My dog died at home . I took her wee body in and was distraught.
Not sure in my befuddled mind she had gone. It was closing time .
The receptionist comforted me and told me she would get vet to check and she would ring me at home. And she did with so much compassion and care long after her shift must have ended .

Unlike previous experiences with other loved dogs when working and able to pay vet prices. Not a good experience at all.
You dont forget these things do you?

“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”

so yes to raising money and what little I have left will go to them .

Toughasoldboots Wed 29-May-13 22:53:14

Aww, mimsy. All such lovely stories.

MimsyBorogroves Wed 29-May-13 23:01:47

Photos of the orange git on my profile. Unfortunately I've not got any kitten pics to hand; will try and dig them out sometime.

ExitPursuedByABear Wed 29-May-13 23:05:08

Oh no. He looks like my boy. I rescued him but he was poisoned at a year old. He was the most fabulous cat and now I feel sad. That was 25 years ago. Must get a grip.

MimsyBorogroves Wed 29-May-13 23:24:59

Oh, how awful sad No grips necessary, that is heartbreaking.

He is a terrible grump, but still thinks I'm his mum, to the point where if I wear anything soft he will launch himself at me and paddle and suck. After I found him he used to sleep curled up on my neck at night (he would suffocate me now, if he were to try it) and would often suck my neck. Bit embarrassing to admit to the teenagers I was working with that my love bites were from a kitten.

Stinkyminkymoo Thu 30-May-13 07:06:28

Your poor dad, it's so sad losing a much loved pet hmm

I really admire the PDSA & think they could teach the RSPCA a thing or 2

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now