Talk

Advanced search

To Want To Stop OH Starting A Business

(20 Posts)
VikkiiKawaii Tue 28-May-13 19:03:48

I feel like a really mean girlfriend but I really don't want my boyfriend to start up a business at the moment. We are just not in a financial position to start it up and I just can't see anyone buying origami roses which is what he wants to try to sell.

Am I being unreasonable?

LackaDAISYcal Tue 28-May-13 19:07:10

Could he start off sellking small on etsy or similar sites or submit his ideas to notonthehighstreet.com and if there is a market and he starts selling well, then look to setting up a more formal business?

This way, his initial outlay will be small and he will get a feel for the market.

But no, I don't think YABU to want him to consider all options before rushing headlong into it.

zonetwo Tue 28-May-13 19:09:49

What's he doing in the meantime?

StuntGirl Tue 28-May-13 19:12:32

Has he done a business plan? Is there a viable market and does he have the funds to set up/support himself til he starts turning a profit?

Virgil Tue 28-May-13 19:13:28

I would agree, he needs to start it up as a sideline and see how it goes.

But in general being your own boss is great and its fab that he has the will to do it.

VikkiiKawaii Tue 28-May-13 19:22:26

At the moment he's applying for jobs and doing Mystery Shopping to make our finances stretch. Neither of us have 'real' jobs at the moment and I hate the idea of him pouring money we don't have into something I can't see selling.

He's in the middle of a business plan now and I'll suggest 'notonthehighstreet' to him.

QuintessentialOldDear Tue 28-May-13 19:25:26

Origami Roses? confused

Who in their right minds would buy those?
Has he done his market research and established that there is a market for this product?

What are you meanwhile doing to address your own employment situation?

LadyBeagleEyes Tue 28-May-13 19:27:47

Origami roses? grin.
Could he make money from that?

Tee2072 Tue 28-May-13 19:28:48

Not something I would buy.

What kind of research has he done?

zonetwo Tue 28-May-13 19:29:31

Origami roses might work. After all pebbly things, twigs with fairy lights and candles did. Paper lanterns are on the way back too. Where's Marie Osmond?

StuntGirl Tue 28-May-13 19:30:32

I suspect its a wedding thing? Some people choose origami flowers as they're cheaper than buying real ones.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Tue 28-May-13 19:32:54

Origami Roses? Bloody hell.

There is nothing wrong in principle with starting a business, DH did last year when he was made redundant for the second time in 4 years. The difference is that is required no outlay, and he has a sought after skill-set that he is able to charge people good money to access.

Where has he got the idea of paper roses from, and who is he planning to sell them to?
What are his skills - and yours for that matter? Running your own business can be very rewarding, financially and in terms of a feeling of achievement, but you have to be selling (broadly speaking) something that people want to buy.

Salmotrutta Tue 28-May-13 19:35:05

Imagine having to sit making hundreds of origami roses... shock

If it was me the business would fold very quickly... Geddit?

IAmNotAMindReader Tue 28-May-13 19:37:51

Sounds like something that needs to be started online as a sideline to take off and may have a limited shelf life.
For free advertising get on facebook and twitter and any other free local groups.

Fragglewump Tue 28-May-13 19:39:24

I have never and probably never will buy origami roses! Who will buy them????

cherhorowitz Tue 28-May-13 19:41:52

YANBU.

It's something that should be tested online via Etsy, BigCartel or an eBay shop then contacting people like Notonthehighstreet.

I would buy origami roses for my wedding if the price was right but there's people already selling on Etsy that I've seen.

NatashaBee Tue 28-May-13 19:41:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pandemoniaa Tue 28-May-13 19:43:03

I suspect the market for origami roses is very limited. However, I also suspect that the time and effort needed to produce a half-decent origami rose is likely to be very great. So I fear that this one has "non-business" written all over it.

Tee2072 Tue 28-May-13 19:46:07

Quick Google...there are tons of people already doing this.

Has he Googled?

Kenworthington Tue 28-May-13 19:47:01

I had a very beautiful shop selling all handmade items. It became quite well known and I had some origami flowers. In a year I sold ONE bunch. There is no money in this imho and you are right to be worried about it. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now