Talk

Advanced search

To think manners maketh a man but rudeness gets you into a position of power?

(6 Posts)
KnickKnacks Tue 28-May-13 17:08:51

I am fed up of how rude senior management are at my place of work.

The boss walks into a room, regardless of conversations/telephone calls taking place will never say 'Excuse me' 'Hello' or any other acknowledgement barks his order with no please or thank you and leaves the room

All senior level are as bad as each other.

Really rubs me up the wrong way. I'm teaching my kids manners and am actually thinking, do you know what kids you'll get further by ignoring manners and just barking orders.

I have noticed this in a number of places I have worked.

Are there any polite senior staff?

AIBU to think manners are out for management?

BackforGood Tue 28-May-13 17:17:41

Not something I've ever come across. My manager is lovely, as is her manager.
Maybe it is particular to your particular trade ?

AdmiralData Tue 28-May-13 17:49:28

YANBU. Both of my managers and anyone I have ever met who has been a manager has had a serious God complex and think manners are for little people, I don't think it's all managers, we've just been unlucky :D

HollyBerryBush Tue 28-May-13 17:58:13

"please" and "thank you" get you far further in my experience. People will do anything for you willingly if asked, they will go the extra mile. Start demanding and people soon do the bare minimum.

ComposHat Tue 28-May-13 18:00:53

At least you know where you stand with the overtly rude ones.

It is the passive agressive cunts that you need to watch for.

Subjecttosurvey Tue 28-May-13 18:25:11

Yanbu. To deviate slightly from your post, I find that being too nice, as I think I am, goes against me when it comes to customer service. I have a friend who, whilst not exactly rude, is very matter of fact when it comes to waiters, bartenders etc and they bloody fall over her. My abundance of manners (and friendliness) on the other hand is rarely reciprocated. Pisses me right off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now