Talk

Advanced search

I know they are only being polite. However....

(45 Posts)
C999875 Tue 28-May-13 14:36:11

I am being unreasonable to feel somewhat patronised when I buy myself clothes ect and the cashier says "Are you treating yourself". Does anyone feel like this or am I a strange comodety.
All thoughts and opinions welcome.
Thanks in advance for your responses. xx

fieldfare Tue 28-May-13 14:39:25

They've probably been told to chat to the customers more and to make small talk.

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 28-May-13 14:40:18

What they are really saying is, "I'm bored and hate my job but my PRP relies on making inane chat with customers. I actually don't give a monkey's".

My favorite was in a shop when I asked the salesperson if they had a certain CD, they said no, I walked to the till to buy the one I had and she said, "did you find everything you were looking for?" Ummmm, no.

Small talk - far less awkward than serving a customer in stony silence.

Dont sweat the small stuff smile

JollyOrangeGiant Tue 28-May-13 14:45:11

Shoe salesman: Are you buying these for anything special?
Me: Yes. My old ones have holes.

I don't think he expected that response grin

Lottapianos Tue 28-May-13 14:49:41

Would much prefer it to stony silence, no eye contact, no smile, just acting as if I am not there - that gives me the angry

HeySoulSister Tue 28-May-13 14:50:29

My dd works in next and has to do this.... She didn't find it easy at first as she is quite shy, as some teens are. Put yourself in their position?

HeySoulSister Tue 28-May-13 14:51:21

Also, they live in fear of 'the mystery shopper' coming in....

girlylala0807 Tue 28-May-13 14:56:31

If shop assistants ask me if I would like anything else I always say yes...tonights winning lottery numbers smile

C999875 Tue 28-May-13 14:57:06

Hi Heysoulsister. No I don't mind small talk. It's just the are you treating yourself that gets me. xx

TheBigJessie Tue 28-May-13 15:33:16

It's probably one of the approved "lines".

Tee2072 Tue 28-May-13 15:36:57

This is why I love self service tills. All shops should have them. No inane chatter from the staff.

I don't want to be your friend. I want to buy something. STFU

Moominsarehippos Tue 28-May-13 15:39:35

I usually get asked in Tescos how I am proposing to cook some unusual vegetable or other that I'm buying!

OwlinaTree Tue 28-May-13 15:41:44

I hate it when they say 'would you like to open a store card account?' At 45% apr or some such s***? No thanks

recall Tue 28-May-13 15:45:06

I had one in Tescos, he drove me fucking nuts in the end

"oooh ! Just the one tomato?"

"yeah"

"why just one ?"

"I only want one on my sandwich"

"why don't you buy more at once?"

"well….cos they would go off"

"You could store them in the fridge…"

"But I don't like them cold"

"Well you could take one out a few hours before you planned to eat it …"

I was feeling a bit stabby by this point, and really did want him to STFU angry

Tee2072 Tue 28-May-13 15:47:43

Owlina that's where it's helpful being American. They assume I'm a tourist. grin

TheCrackFox Tue 28-May-13 15:51:56

Do you really think shop assistants enjoy chatting to you? No, but if they don't they can get sacked.

GlitterFingers Tue 28-May-13 15:54:54

What do people want from sales assistants? You don't want them to be rude and unhelpful but you don't want them to be happy and helpful hmm

Tee2072 Tue 28-May-13 15:56:30

They can be as happy as they want, but a simple 'Thank you.' is enough without the simpering, inane, obviously company required chatter.

GW297 Tue 28-May-13 15:57:47

It's when you try on shoes and they say, 'we haven't got that one in a 6, would you like to try it in a different size? We have it in a 3 and an 8...'

TheCrackFox Tue 28-May-13 15:58:19

I'm sure the staff would be delighted if they didn't have to make inane chatter but they have no choice.

treaclesoda Tue 28-May-13 16:02:45

The inane chatter is a bit annoying but I feel sorry for them having to do it. They hate doing it, the customers hate them doing it, they know the customers hate them doing it, yet do it they must, because some senior manager who is too rich to shop with the plebs has decided its a good idea and people will like it. It grates a bit, and I hate the feeling that the contents of my supermarket shop, for example are under scrutiny. 'ooh, Dioarlyte and toilet roll? Got a bug in the house?' ok no one has actually said that, but I'm sure its happened to someone.

It certainly beats the arse off the old fashioned approach to retail which was for the staff to look bored and ignore you whilst discussing some sort of staff room gossip.

Snowflakepie Tue 28-May-13 16:11:17

I work in retail. We are measured on customer satisfaction and our bonus, should we happen to sell enough to qualify, is dependent upon having a high customer rating. It sucks beyond belief. However, we are given all sorts of opening line suggestions to try and get a customer to chat and feel positive. Treats fall into the feel good category, after all who doesn't like to treat themselves! The idea being that if you associate the particular shop with a treat you will feel happy and link that to the brand, come back again and spend more!

It still sucks. I hate being asked it myself, especially if I'm not treating myself. But it's better than the sullen grunting or silence, and sometimes you do end up having a lovely chat with a customer that actually makes your crappy job seem that bit better. Why not make up a long and crazy story the next time it happens and know that your sales assistant will be that little bit happier too?

CrispyFB Tue 28-May-13 16:13:48

I've had sales assistants ask me if particular pregnancy test brands are any good before, and another one asking if the test is for me. I get the need for small talk (I worked in Sainsburys on the tills myself part time for four years, I do understand!) but there's a line..

OwlinaTree Tue 28-May-13 16:22:43

crispyFB maybe 2 lines on the pregnancy test wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now