Talk

Advanced search

to have told this girl off today...

(191 Posts)
ImABadGirl Mon 27-May-13 23:29:06

was a lovely sunny day today so I went bike riding with my family, as we waited in the queue for an ice cream, this girl screams and flicks a bug off her shoulder (we're in a country park)

anyway after a couple of minutes she looks at the dragonfly that she flicked off and promptly stands on it.

I'm quite angry at this and tell her so, there were a lot of kids around. My mum said I shouldn't have had a go at her so WIBU?

ImABadGirl Mon 27-May-13 23:30:26

forgot to add she was in her twenties so not a youngster...

Samnella Mon 27-May-13 23:32:14

YANBU. But she is a woman not a girl.

SoleSource Mon 27-May-13 23:32:38

Yanbu.i feel the same about any i.sects etc natice to UK

FadBook Mon 27-May-13 23:35:02

Yanbu

I wouldn't have bitten my lip either. Well done for saying something.

It's unkind to kill something that is harmless. What message does that give to young children? Anything smaller than you, you have control over.

What was her reaction to you saying something?

ImABadGirl Mon 27-May-13 23:37:57

she went very red and murmured 'sorry' the friends she was with all laughed at her...

So she flicked off the dragonfly and it was there a few minutes later? Hurt? Couldnt fly away?

Should she have let it suffer?

YABU and self righteous.

morethanpotatoprints Mon 27-May-13 23:39:19

I'd have stamped on it too.
Out of sheer panic I think.

YABU, none of your bloody business.

ImABadGirl Mon 27-May-13 23:40:22

not sure it was hurt, probably a bit stunned, am talking 2 minutes not more than 5, it was certainly crawling around

hiddenhome Mon 27-May-13 23:40:33

People are encouraged to be pathetic and hysterical these days sad

Stupid woman for killing it. Let's hope she thinks twice next time.

DiscoDonkey Mon 27-May-13 23:40:56

I suppose it depends why she did, like wannabe said if it was half dead maybe that's why she did it? Or maybe she was an arse

poncypony Mon 27-May-13 23:41:10

If the dragonfly was still on the ground, it was probably injured anyway. I would kill an insect that had no chance of recovery.

Although it is awfully melodramatic to attack a dragonfly in the first place.

ImABadGirl Mon 27-May-13 23:42:12

she wasn't hysterical, I think it made her jump, if she was that terrified of it, wouldn't she have stamped on it straight away?

hiddenhome Mon 27-May-13 23:42:38

Such people take a perverse pride in their over reactions hmm

Melodramatic perhaps.

Still not sure what gave the OP the right to have a go. Is she the insect police now? hmm

hiddenhome Mon 27-May-13 23:43:51

We are becoming further and further removed from the nature around us sad

BackOnlyBriefly Mon 27-May-13 23:43:52

I kind of get how you felt, but what do you say to people in the shop buying fly spray?

See you feel a certain way about insects, but others feel differently.

ImABadGirl Mon 27-May-13 23:44:37

not insect police hmm just think if you're going to go to a country park you can expect to see bugs and not go around killing them

SPsCliffingAllOverMN Mon 27-May-13 23:45:25

I stood on ants today. They were trespassing though

hiddenhome Mon 27-May-13 23:46:15

It doesn't matter if it was 'only an insect' it's a living creature and presumably people would be up on arms if she did it to a bird or something.

The insect population needs all the help it can get really.

And if you are going to go to a country park you should expect to be able to enjoy it with out a stranger having a go.

hiddenhome Mon 27-May-13 23:47:52

Fly spray is used to kill disease spreading flies that come into the house. A dragon fly in a country park has the right to be left in peace.

ImABadGirl Mon 27-May-13 23:47:58

very true hidden, in 20 years half of the insect species we see today won't be around for our children's children to see sad

hiddenhome Mon 27-May-13 23:49:03

A country park is home to these creatures. Stupid, hysterical people should remain in shopping centres hmm

ImABadGirl Mon 27-May-13 23:49:09

I think if I hadn't said anything a few others would have, got a few people nodding their agreement

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now