Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To not get the fuss with covent garden

(112 Posts)
Fairyloo Mon 27-May-13 19:21:45

Every time I go to london people tell me go to covent garden "it's amazing". I always go and feel a bit let down. It's high st shops and millions of miserable street performers.

I like the inside market bin but so overpriced.

I do love south bank.

Am I missing something with covent garden??

burberryqueen Mon 27-May-13 19:23:46

YANBU South Bank is much more interesting

louisianablue2000 Mon 27-May-13 19:25:22

yanbu, Londoners like to big up everything about the capital but it's not all that. Personally I think it's just very smelly and Covent Garden is nothing exciting at all.

VashtaNerada Mon 27-May-13 19:32:10

It's a very different place during the day and at night. It was probably just bigged up too much which is why you felt let down. I love it though - Sanctuary spa, theatres, markets, shops, restaurants, comedy club - lots going on in a tiny space.

complexnumber Mon 27-May-13 19:33:37

It must have changed since I was last there (admitedly a v. long time ago... alright they weren't exactly still selling cabbages, but still a long time ago)

But there was a really good atmosphere, the street performers were amazing, the shops were often independant, the Punch And Judy served a decent (if expensive) pint.

Sad to think it might not be so much fun these days.

MortifiedAdams Mon 27-May-13 19:37:07

Igh me too OP. much prefer Camden.

WafflyVersatile Mon 27-May-13 19:38:04

When I first moved here I used to chill out there before I started my job but that was a long time ago and if I go there now it's incidental to whatever mission I'm on. Very crowded. I usually try to vacate the station area and get to my designation asap. (usually hair by fairy who do cheap hair cuts)

Generally I only got to central london now for the theatre or for specific reasons. I never go pubbing or clubbing in CG or Soho these days and I don't work in the area now.

I used to think Southbank was great for a meander at the weekend but would be better if it just had a couple more places to eat and drink. Now it has loads but is rammed at the weekend. It's like taking a leisurely stroll along Oxford Street.

Never happy!

eccentrica Mon 27-May-13 19:47:12

I don't think any true Londoners big up Covent Garden! It's a tourist trap, street performer nightmare. I haven't been there except to go to the theatre for about 20 years.

See also: Camden, Leicester Square, Brick Lane (or rather don't see)

Punkatheart Mon 27-May-13 19:52:42

South Bank. East end.

burberryqueen Mon 27-May-13 19:54:00

Londoners like to big up everything about the capital but it's not all that yes it is

burberryqueen Mon 27-May-13 19:54:40

welll not Covent Garden , but the capital in general which is what u meant i suppose

Yonionekanobe Mon 27-May-13 19:56:39

Completely agree with eccentrica. I've never heard a fellow Londoner 'big up' Covent Garden.

But a lot of the capital, is definitely 'all that' - and before anyone asks I have travelled extensively and loves elsewhere home and abroad! Maybe we are all just used to the smell confused

Yonionekanobe Mon 27-May-13 19:58:45

Loves = lived. I was doubtless put off typing by the stench coming in through our windows.

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 27-May-13 19:59:00

I agree with Burberry. London is all that.

But not Covent Garden, Leicester Square or Camden Market.

But it's still fantastic, shite bits included.

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Mon 27-May-13 20:00:54

I have no idea why anyone would go to Covent Garden unless they had a destination eg Transport Museum, theatre etc. It always baffles me when tourists mention going there to look round. At what? The Boots? The Disney Store? M&S?

Unless you have kids who like street perfromers

KentishWine Mon 27-May-13 20:03:52

As a Londoner I'd never chose to spend a weekend day at Covent Garden, especially at this time of year.

But I disagree with louisiana, London is all that! London is much more than its tourist traps.

chickieno1 Mon 27-May-13 20:04:00

Southbank is fab

Saski Mon 27-May-13 20:04:40

It's cute, but not amazing. I recently went to Spitalfields Market for the first time after living in London for 10 years! and that's amazing.

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 27-May-13 20:06:39

There's nothing in Covent garden to look at, loads of places in London to walk about looking at the architecture, parkland, river, whatever. There is nothing there unless like other say you are going to the theatre, to a specific restaurant whatever. It just has an atmosphere of bored tourists.

And I can't stand street performance.

edam Mon 27-May-13 20:08:28

Covent Garden is indeed a tourist trap. Never go there unless it's to the theatre or the London Transport Museum. However, if I am taking ds to the museum, there's one nice bag stall on the market...

ashesgirl Mon 27-May-13 20:09:10

Covent Garden very touristy and busy, but Transport Museum is great.

And yes London is all that!

mooface Mon 27-May-13 20:09:15

I love the tea shop in the covered market bit, it's got oodles of free samples and more different types than I've ever seen.

But the ice-cream shop recently closed down sad

edam Mon 27-May-13 20:10:06

Last time I went, the BBC local radio had a big red double decker parked up promoting their shows. Faces of presenters all over the bus... Vanessa Feltz on the back end. grin

She must have really pissed off someone in PR...

TotesAmazeGoats Mon 27-May-13 20:12:40

I wish I could afford to live in London. I think it's all that. envy

hesterton Mon 27-May-13 20:16:31

I don't think Londoners often go to Covent Garden. I certainly don't unless it's connected to theatre or London Transport Museum which I do like.

Much better places include Geffrye Museum in Hoxton, Ridley Road market in Dalston Kingsland or the British Museum and the Bloomsbury Squares. The South Bank is fun too, and I like Spitalfields Market too.

Or if you have to be in the West End, the Portrait Gallery and Green Park/Shepherds Market (for bars/restaurants, not stalls) are much nicer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now