Talk

Advanced search

to be surprised the French are so opposed to gay marriage.

(6 Posts)
ophelia275 Mon 27-May-13 12:52:46

I know it's not all French people but I am really surprised that thousands of them are out in Paris marching against gay marriage.

I thought the French were supposed to be tolerant and fairly liberal.

I really don't get the issue with gay marriage and why so many people are bothered by it. Seems like a storm in a teacup to me. Live and let live etc.

Rugbycomet Mon 27-May-13 12:53:36

I suppose it's because it's a catholic country???

burberryqueen Mon 27-May-13 12:54:04

the French? tolerant and liberal? buauauauuauauaahahahhahahaah grin

LaurieFairyCake Mon 27-May-13 12:56:37

I'm not surprised. I've found the French people I know very conservative.

Surprisingly sniffy too, there seems to be one way to do something (whatever it is) and you're fucked if you get it wrong grin

unobtanium Mon 27-May-13 13:00:20

Goodness, it's many, many more than just "thousands". The police say 150,000 and the organisers say 1,000,000. Quite a discrepancy in the numbers but I was in Paris yesterday and I would say, going on what I saw (and the media coverage thereof later in the evening) that the million figure is much closer to the mark. People were coming from all corners, in the busloads, and all the motorways became carparks.

Most French are quite happy with civil partnerships for gays but are absolutely frantic about the possibility of gays adopting. Even some gay people marched against gay marriage yesterday, on the same grounds.

That they law has been enacted does not bother them one iota. They love demonstrating.

ophelia275 Mon 27-May-13 13:02:30

Gosh, in that case I wouldn't want to be gay in France.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now