Talk

Advanced search

Barking neighbours dog ( and other noises)

(7 Posts)
Ilovemyself Mon 27-May-13 08:33:41

There is a garden that backs onto our house that seems to be noise city.

We live in the centre of a very small town, and our back garden backs directly onto the back garden of some people in another street.

They regularly leave their dog in the back garden, sometimes in a run, other times loose.

The dog can bark for ages. It can be 15 minutes or more if they are in, or much longer if they are out. And it can be at any time of the day or night. They also have several avierys and a very noisy cockeral.

This morning it was 10 minutes of barking at 07.30. As the other half is at the in laws with the children I was looking forward to a lie in but the dog put an end to that.

As we like to sleep with the window open, it really is a nuisence.

We have only been here 18 months and get on with the neighbours in our street. Should I do something?

Selba Mon 27-May-13 10:46:46

Yes. Absolutely. You are not being in the slightest unreasonable. I have discovered that some dog owners seem to genuinely not register that their dog is barking.
I had exactly this problem with my neighbour so went round and spoke to him face to face, very politely. I just said something along the lines of hi Jim, can I have a word. At this point his dog ran over barking, so I just said we'll its about the dog actually. I'm not sure whether you realise how noisy it is . I can hear it from every room in my house and it sometimes wakes my children early in the morning. Can you do something about it please ?
This more or less solved the problem, he is a nice and reasonable man.
Why the hell do some dog owners think this is ok? I have three young children and I have never allowed them to run round the garden yelling .

I do genuine think some owners just zone out the noise of their dog barking . Idiots .

Selba Mon 27-May-13 10:47:35

Also, have you discussed it with the other neighbours?

Ilovemyself Tue 28-May-13 12:24:21

The neighbours one side are hardly ever there so they haven't noticed. The ones the other side are fed up having lived there longer but don't want to rock the boat.

I did drive down their road to see the house number and having seen boxing club signs everywhere I am a little reticent to knock in their door!

aPseudonymToFoolHim Tue 28-May-13 13:16:43

I have the same problem, a little yapping thing that is left out ALL night and yaps CONSTANTLY to be allowed back in.

It had been disturbing my sleep for MONTHS. It's been kicked out even in frost, snow, ice, wind, rain.
One night after listening to it for TWO HOURS (whilst wearing ear plugs and wrapping a pillow around my head) I got out of bed at 1:30am and walked round there (quite a walk, as their garden backs onto mine without an alley between so I had to walk all the way around) and knocked on their door. I had my phone videoing in case anything happened, I was SHITTING myself. It took 3 goes to get someone to answer (their lights were on) and a huge topless bloke covered in tattoos finally answered. He actually seemed surprised that the dog was disturbing anyone.
He must have let it in the house because it shut up, but my adrenaline was still pumping so I still couldn't sleep! An hour later, it was back in the garden yapping away.
I reported them to RSPCA (didn't want to know, said they had every right to keep their dog outside if they chose to) and the environmental health dept of the council. All they did was suggest I went round to talk to them, and gave me paper to record the times of the noise. Once I sent those back, they contacted the dog owners and told them of the complaint. It's been better since then, but occasionally it still is out yapping til after midnight. I wear ear plugs every night, but it still gets through. It's like Chinese Water Torture!
I've been thinking of sending a postcard through the mail to ask them again to get it to shut the fuck up.

Keep a diary of times it disturbs you, and send it in to environmental health and let them deal with it.
You could also try their landlord if it's council/HA/you know who it is.

Antisecco Tue 28-May-13 13:23:05

If you suffer from barking then teh solution is simple....move to East Ham

Pathetic joke. And it's no laughing matter...I have been there. Environmental Health has to be the way forward.

quoteunquote Tue 28-May-13 13:31:48

Post a list of local dog trainers and behaviourists through the door, with a reminder that they have a responsibility to the dogs welfare and the community, the dog is not calm if it is barking.

If they really want to fix it, it terrible easy. they just have to accept and implement the advice that is available.

buy some big chalk, write on the road/pavement "*HOME OF THE BARKING DOG" with big arrows pointing at their house.

They are failing their dog, and their community.

Don't let them be lazy, pull them up on it.

I have lots of dogs they don't bark, unless I tell them to, it's not magic, it's really easy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now