Talk

Advanced search

To ask why so many people kill spiders

(108 Posts)
McNewPants2013 Sun 26-May-13 20:40:58

What is so scary about them.

They make the most amazing webs and these webs catch flys.

littlepeas Sun 26-May-13 23:05:23

I consider it bad luck to kill a spider. Not sure whether it is generally thought to be bad luck, or whether I have just made it up? Some are allowed to live in my house and others are evicted! Small - medium ones I can do myself, but I did once scream my head off and go and get my very manly neighbour to sort it when a very large one fell out of the cardigan I was about to put on. And there was once an absolutely humungous brute on the stairs that I was was very scared of - I actually phoned dh at work to come and get it (he was working 5 mins up the road at the time). I was around 8 months pregnant and sounded so scared on the phone that he didn't even wait to hear why I wanted him to come home and raced back thinking it was baby related. That was quite embarrassing!

We have lovely Bill our house spider who I mentioned on another thread, he lives in a nook in the back door, he's been there many years and is currently my hero after catching a crane fly in his web.

<I hate crane flies>
<<shudder>>

Maleeka Sun 26-May-13 23:32:23

I've been know to get the hoover out at 3am to suck up a little fucker that was wandering around my house not paying rent and acting like he owns the place !

I really should let them live because my other deadly foe is the crane fly! Spider with wings??, WTH was nature thinking !!!

xkittyx Sun 26-May-13 23:44:23

Another spider lover here. I actually think it's sad that so many people will end another living creature's life for no reason.

MultumInParvo Mon 27-May-13 00:04:44

I don't kill spiders. My dogs do. Sometimes you see them with legs sticking out of their chops.

hiddenhome Mon 27-May-13 00:24:49

I love them. I look for them in their webs then donate the tarantula's live crickets to them so they're all well fed and happy smile

VenusStarr Mon 27-May-13 08:30:08

I don't kill them, but I have two cats who like a spider snack, so if they come in the house they don't seem to last very long!

livinginwonderland Mon 27-May-13 08:41:27

I kill them because if I know there's one around somewhere, I get anxiety and can't sleep.

Ratata Mon 27-May-13 10:38:17

DH has to deal with the spiders, they get killed for having the gaul to enter our house. And for being fast and creepy. Slaters are fine. I deal with those by popping them outside as they aren't fast and I can pick them up. Wasps are my domain... DH hates them and I can chase them around with a rolled up newspaper. Bumblebees are too cute to kill. Yeah we have lots of different rules here lol.

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Mon 27-May-13 12:34:32

I catch or squash spiders. It is them or me. We can't live happily under the same roof.

Fakebook Mon 27-May-13 12:38:40

Because they're scary leg wiggling little shits.

MidniteScribbler Mon 27-May-13 12:56:32

Because around here, they can kill you. And it's them or my DS or my dogs, and I know which I'm going to choose. I get a spider treatment done every six months which keeps most of them at bay, but the occasional one chooses to come in.

dufflefluffle Mon 27-May-13 13:01:52

I got stung by a scorpion once, it cured me of my spider phobia (I thought I was going to dieblush) I've never killed one since (not even that one though I did capture him and in all likelihood he (or she) probably suffocated to deathsad)
I have to rescue my dh often from spiders but try to teach my dc that as spiders kill dirty flies they are our friends (neither dc convinced yet)

Loulybelle Mon 27-May-13 13:27:42

I hate the evil little fuckers, opened my door this morning, 2 huge spiders came running in, i tried to get them out, but the thick bastards werent getting it.

Spiders have a conspiracy to overthrow the human race you know, and all you spider lovers are working for them, and i will turn you in to the "SPLAT" team (Spider Protection, Lets Annihilate the Twats), Men in Hazmats are coming for ya..

goldierocks Mon 27-May-13 13:29:58

I live in an old Victorian house...a magnet for spiders. Since I got my two pet tarantuals I've not had a single visit from any other spider.
Having pet taratulas is probably quite a drastic solution...:-)

I thank my dad for curing me of my spider phobia when I was a very little girl....he bought me some spider glove-puppets to play with.

McNewPants2013 Mon 27-May-13 13:36:05

I get some people have a phobia, but just imagine them with skates on like on Harry potter lol

Loulybelle Mon 27-May-13 13:37:44

McNew, i cant watch that scene in HP2, alll those spiders..................

<shudders>

McNewPants2013 Mon 27-May-13 13:42:15

Aragog is an amazing spider, even if it is totally fictional

jamdonut Mon 27-May-13 14:07:20

I can deal with little spiders, but anything bigger than 10p,I just can't live with. I don't like to kill them,and prefer if someone who doesn't mind them puts them outside. But if there is no-one available, I vacuum them and they get pulverised in our cyclonic cleaner. I just can't manage the glass and paper trick...they escape to easily from that before you can get to the door!

My husband is not keen on picking them up after he got bitten by a large house spider once,a few years ago. That is another reason not to like the huge ones.

And Crane flies....uuuuurgh actually worse than spiders!

My cat eats spiders and spider webs.(shudders)

TSSDNCOP Mon 27-May-13 14:39:44

No I can't imagine them with skates on. Sorry. I get that to many they are things of amazement, but equally those people must realise that those of us at the opposite end of the scale have a fear beyond all reason.

The only good spider chez TSS is a stone dead one. Otherwise I can't stay in the house. Not a room. The whole house. I will never, ever visit Australia.

It's irrational, inconvenient and something I go out of my way not to communicate to DS.

xylem8 Mon 27-May-13 15:15:54

I remember coming out of the shower once , took off my towel and there was the most humungus spider on my leg.I screamed and flicked him off and had 2 bleeding puncture wounds on my leg, rally hurt.Ladybirds can bite too , but the worst are horse flies.I nearly fainted from pain when one of those fu*kers bit me on the neck!

Cobrepat Mon 27-May-13 15:26:19

I live in Australia and kill around 5-10 a day! They're always White Tails so I definitely need to kill them. I leave Daddy long leg spiders in the hopes they will eat the mean ones, but hate to do so. Yesterday I squished a spider with my shoe and it spilt baby spiders all over the place; horrific!

Tillyandjamie Mon 27-May-13 15:26:51

I don't kill spiders. I can't catch them in a glass though either. If one comes in the house I have to leave the house. Once there was a massive one in the middle of the night. I couldn't be there. I had to get my children out of bed and sit in the car! I rang my sister who got out of bed and got it for me. If she didn't we would of been in the car until someone got it sad it's ridiculous but I don't know how to get over the fear. I've just bought a spider repellent. I spray the house everyday. It doesn't kill them just stops them coming in.

VerySmallSqueak Mon 27-May-13 15:31:24

'If you want to live and thrive,let a spider run alive'

(But not if you live in a country where they are dodgy fuckers,obviously)

TiredyCustards Mon 27-May-13 15:33:24

I can't bear the thought of them crawling into my dcs' mouths.

If they come in the house they get hoovered I'm afraid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now