Talk

Advanced search

To have an impending sense of doom?

(18 Posts)
Namechangingnorma Sat 25-May-13 23:26:28

I feel so grateful for everything I have in my life, I recognise how fortunate I am, but I often worry that everything is going too smoothly and something bad must be happening around the corner. Does anyone else feel like this?

cogitosum Sat 25-May-13 23:28:04

Yes constantly. Currently 33 weeks pregnant and so happy apart from this. I'm considering speaking to dr as I'm scared of having all good times in life ruined by this...

flanbase Sat 25-May-13 23:29:25

enjoy everything that you have as this is the reality you are living right now

borisjohnsonshair Sat 25-May-13 23:29:40

Yes, all the time. I think it has something to do with feeling guilty or unworthy of the good life that I have. I try not to dwell on it, because clearly it doesn't do you any good but I do know exactly what you mean.

The thing to do is just try to enjoy the here and now and not think about the future at all (although that's not easy).

AgentZigzag Sat 25-May-13 23:30:29

I have OCD and I have it all the time.

Is it something that's come on gradually or as the result of something major, or have you always had it?

Cosydressinggown Sat 25-May-13 23:30:58

No, but I really did when pregnant with baby 2 cogitosum.

It disappeared once she was here safely. I think being pregnant can give you a bit of a vulnerable feeling.

AlbertoFrog Sat 25-May-13 23:32:50

Depending on the time of the month I'm either ever so grateful for all I have in my life or wishing ill on my "no good for nothing DH".

Both usually end in tears as well blush

cogitosum Sat 25-May-13 23:33:10

I'm really glad to hear that It went when your baby arrived safely cosy. I'm ironically worried about it ruining the first few months with the baby so really hope it goes.

Sorry for hijack op but you're definitely not alone.

AlbertoFrog Sat 25-May-13 23:34:53

Oh sorry, and when everything's going really, really well?

I think disaster is going to strike and bad things will happen because I don't deserve it.

YANBU

Namechangingnorma Sat 25-May-13 23:37:09

i think I realised it recently when I was job hunting and found the perfect, very well paid job within a week of job hunting, despite hearing everything about how badnthe job market is, I was just thinking to myself 'no-one can be this lucky' honestly, I feel like my life is perfect, and I know how difficult thing are for some people particularly at the moment. I do suffer from anxiety and panic attacks though, but relatively under control. my dh and I are ttc at the moment and it hasnt happened yet so I think to myself 'oh that must be the thing, I am not going to be able to have children' and in a way that makes me feel a bit better.
Congrats on your pregnancy cog and ladies, good to know I am not the only one

MummytoKatie Sat 25-May-13 23:41:46

I have this.

At the moment I am assuming that it is because I am 39+1 and with dd I went into labour at 4am at 39+2!

Bit scared to go to bed.....

Namechangingnorma Sat 25-May-13 23:43:45

Good luck mummy katie xx

Shakey1500 Sat 25-May-13 23:46:38

I have this, think it stems from childhood things. Things have been pretty great for the last couple of years especially and it flits through my mind that someone really close to me is going to die confused. I mean, of course they all will but the feeling is imminent. Totally irrational. As if someone has to die for my happiness to be prolonged. How stupid is that?? Actually don't answer it's bloody ridiculous.

Bimbledorf Sat 25-May-13 23:47:33

I really do feel this way too. For the last 5 years I have stressed my head off about our finances but now they have just been sorted and I no longer have that to focus on I am actually more anxious than I have ever been! All for ridiculous, hypothetical situations mainly centring on my health or future poss bad health. I have a six month old, So hoping it is post natal anxiety and it will pass but at the moment really struggling. You are not alone op but isn't it a horrible thing to share!!

Cosydressinggown Sat 25-May-13 23:52:26

Cogitosum - most likely once he/she is safely in your arms, these feelings will go away, and you'll spend those first precious few months in love, and exhausted, and everything you should be.

Keep an eye on the feelings, and don't be afraid to have a chat with your GP if they do linger after she is born. There is lots they can do about anxiety or mild depression if it comes to that - but I really think that, like me, you'll find that it's pregnancy hormones and vulnerability giving you anxiety, and it'll vanish as soon as you have that gorgeous baby. Good luck. xxxx

Namechangingnorma Sat 25-May-13 23:56:01

shakey, I feel exactly the same, my dh has lost,both his parents and I worry about someone getting ill, I am really aware how lucky I am to have both my parents when so many of my friends dont, I worry about something happening to me, dh, my friends etc etc glad I am not,alone

AngryFeet Sun 26-May-13 00:50:42

Sense of impending doom is an anxiety symptom. Have you seen gp about it?

SabrinaMulhollandJjones Sun 26-May-13 01:05:25

Yes, I feel like this too. I have an idyllic life, I really do. I'm so lucky - I live in fear of it all going wrong. It's not like it ruins my enjoyment of life or anything, just that it's always slightly at the back of my mind. I also have feelings of 'surely I can't be this lucky' or 'my luck can't last.'

I posted on the 'do you worry about your dc being abducted' thread a while back - because I do - and it made me realise I may have anxiety issues. It's whether I consider it bad enough to see gp/do something about it I suppose.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now