Talk

Advanced search

To think it's creepy that the pop up adverts on Mumsnet are related to threads you post on

(24 Posts)
Bearbehind Sat 25-May-13 10:57:41

Ive only just noticed this, but the adverts that pop up on the right of my screen on Mumsnet are related to threads you post on.

I've posted on the printer cartridge thread and just now an advert for cartridges popped up. The same happened on a wedding thread now I think about it, the adverts were about hen dos etc.

I know it's actually clever marketing and it's all through key words etc but it is a bit too 'Big Brother' for my liking.

WorraLiberty Sat 25-May-13 11:00:03

It's happened on Facebook for years.

I wonder if we should start random threads about sex toys grin

Jinsei Sat 25-May-13 11:01:26

Really? I've just posted on a thread about a kettle, but no ads for kitchen appliances have appeared yet.

I've also posted on a few threads about racism. Do you think I'll get a banner for the BNP next? shock

Bearbehind Sat 25-May-13 11:04:02

It definitely happens, I'm not sure how long it takes for links to be made etc but it is creepy.

Love the sex toys idea!

BusStopWanker Sat 25-May-13 11:43:43

You need AdBlock. I don't get any ads at all now.

Bearbehind Sat 25-May-13 11:46:52

Thanks Bsw

xmarksaspot Sat 25-May-13 11:53:38

It will be linked to the topic heading rather than the content of the thread I think a bit less big brother

Bearbehind Sat 25-May-13 11:56:27

I don't think it is xmarks the thread I'm talking about was about a printer cartridge but it wasn't mentioned in the thread title.

Chivetalking Sat 25-May-13 12:10:46

Another vote for adblock.

toiletbrush Sat 25-May-13 12:13:01

Had to laugh the other day. I was reading a thread that mentioned alcohol in it and below was an advert for solicitors and how they can represent you for drunk driving!

Trills Sat 25-May-13 12:25:39

Well right now I have:
Volunteer trips abroad (nope)
Could you foster a child? (nope)
Something about children running away and/or insurance (not really sure what it's for, can't be bothered to watch it)

In general this is how adverts work.
A website (MN) signs up to show adverts from a very large set.
The people who make the adverts say things like "I'd like this advert to show on web pages that contain the phrase "printer cartridge".
Then the adverts get matched to the page.
The idea is that in theory you'll get more relevant adverts for things that you might plausibly want, and the advertisers will have their adverts shown to people who are more likely to click on them. If it worked well it would be win-win.

Ilikethebreeze Sat 25-May-13 12:33:15

Did you google those topics too, op.
I would have assumed that that was the reason.
[dont know, just guessing]

Bearbehind Sat 25-May-13 12:36:50

Definitely not ilikethebreeze I know you get pop ups from say M&S showing things you've looked at on their websites but I haven't even got a printer at home so have never googled cartridges, it can only have been from the thread I was on.

BedHog Sat 25-May-13 12:50:36

I've noticed that whenever I venture into style and beauty and someone wants advice about a hideous dress or pair of shoes, for a couple of weeks afterwards those same articles will keep popping up anywhere and everywhere.

More annoyingly though, I ordered some flowers to be sent to my mum for her birthday, then came on mumsnet straight afterwards and found a discount code for the company I'd just ordered from.

Ilikethebreeze Sat 25-May-13 12:52:04

I am finding it a bit big brother too now.
I am on ac old pc.
My current advert is to visit Orlando.
As far as I can remember, I mist certainly have not been on a thread about Florida though. I dont think it is happening to me.

Would it have anything to do with cookies?

It may have been better for this thread to be in site stuff.
MN always read the threads in there. And normally quickly post on them too.

ChoudeBruxelles Sat 25-May-13 12:53:26

Pay per click adverts. Companies spend a lot trying to target you

Bearbehind Sat 25-May-13 12:58:11

I think the ads are general most of the time but when a poster is on a thread with something specific that an advertiser if offering, it's making a link.

They are pay per click ads but it just scares me how targeted they can be based on your posting activity. I always thought it was just on things you'd looked at, not words you wrote.

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 25-May-13 13:20:20

It is more specific than just threads you post on. They have identified that I am a vet and I get ads for CPD specifically for vets!!!!

LRDtheFeministDragon Sat 25-May-13 13:20:46

The facebook ones annoy me more.

If I share status updates about feminism, I get a week's worth of adverts for 'lesbian vacations'. However, I am also getting spammed with loads of 'feel guilty, fat woman, lose weight!' ones right now, which I take it are simply because I'm female. And I get loads of bridal ones every time someone I know gets married.

I'm not entirely sure they've figured out how to triangulate for the accurate result, have they?

kim147 Sat 25-May-13 13:32:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LRDtheFeministDragon Sat 25-May-13 13:36:35

No shit. grin

It's that plus the bridal (and very obviously 'hetero bridal') I find funny.

I also thought stereotypical lesbians were supposed to be fat and wear dungarees.

LRDtheFeministDragon Sat 25-May-13 13:37:24

(Or indeed stereotypical feminists, since FB doesn't seem to recognize the difference.)

BumpAndGrind Sat 25-May-13 13:39:17

Yes... the MNer who showed us her holiday cottage and the thread about what you can find after cleaning.

I get her cottage pop up ALL THE TIME on other sites now.

tallulah Sat 25-May-13 14:02:23

I don't get adverts on MN (thanks ad-blockers grin) but was quite shock to find google today is made up of birthday cakes and hovering over says happy birthday tallulah (only it's using my real name and not tallulah- that would be spooky grin)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now