Talk

Advanced search

To have just this second decided that spiders are ace

(51 Posts)
DevonCiderPunk Sat 25-May-13 00:28:05

...because the stupid, flailing, pointless daddy-long-legs that has been pissing and pinging about in my bedroom for the last hour has just flown into a cobweb, panicked, flapped about and got itself suspended arse-upwards with all of its stupid flaily legs bound together?

Well played, spiders.

onenutshortofasnickers Sat 25-May-13 00:34:59

well played indeed....

i like it when they catch flies, i have seen a spider eat a fly- it is odd looking and the flywas still trying to get away.

i like ikkle spiders- as a child a had a tiny pet spider in my room called spidey...i dont like big spiders though?!

DevonCiderPunk Sat 25-May-13 00:57:00

I'd love to see a spider come and start eating this pointless thing that has been air-surfing up the side of my headboard in a blind panic about heaven knows what.

I hear they have no mouths, so are basically dying of starvation?

Idiots.

I knew this would be about a Daddy Long Legs, eugh pointless spindly divebombing fuckers.
Spiders are ace, our one (Bill, who lives in a crack in the back door, has been there years) caught a DLL the other day too, I am eternally grateful to him.

<Diaclaimer, I don't know how long spiders actually live, but it looks like the same one, and he lives in the same place, could be original Bill's grandson/daughter?>.

Buzzardbird Sat 25-May-13 03:27:35

Nooooo, don't talk about ddl's (major phobia, proper one)...its not their time yet is it? <hides for rest of summer>

Buzzardbird Sat 25-May-13 03:33:05

Hang on a cockin pickin minute, ddl's don't hatch <shudder> until September. You must be referring to those other things I have been batting out of the house today which I am not as scared of for some reason?

Nope, it was definitely a stupid, swooping, horrible Crane Fly.
Sorry sad I know how you feel, I can tolerate most insects, but those things make me <shudder> and scream like a wuss.
It's the dropping onto your head out of nowhere, then they do it again and again, they are so stupid, I hate them.

Buzzardbird Sat 25-May-13 04:45:28

Oh god. Stop it! I can't bear the thought. I got really bad just googling to see when they hatch...there were pictures. Why would anyone photograph them?

AmandinePoulain Sat 25-May-13 05:27:22

I saw one the other day and was a bit confused - maybe it's because of the weird weather?. Maybe they'll all come out early and then did? <hopeful>

AmandinePoulain Sat 25-May-13 05:27:55

*die

I blame autocorrect.

NandH Sat 25-May-13 05:40:09

I have just woken to a spider on my neck!!...it very quickly had flying lessons out the window!...scared to go back to sleep incase his/her friends have it in for me now!

wankerchief Sat 25-May-13 06:09:57

Spiders that come into my house get sucked up inthe dyson.
I know someone will come tell me that is murder and they are vital to our eco system or some shit.
Dont care. they show up univited and are unwelcome in wankers household

GoblinGranny Sat 25-May-13 07:29:47

I've always liked spiders, especially garden spiders with their beautiful webs, exquisite designs on their backs and their useful diet of gnats.
I don't mind sharing the house with them either, they are helpful and unobtrusive.
Wasps on the other hand...angry

NumTumDeDum Sat 25-May-13 07:33:47

I like spiders on the basis that exh doesn't. He has a 'get that away from me dance'. Mind you, his wasp dance is truly something to behold. And for that reason, quite fond of the odd wasp too.

YesIamYourSisterInLaw Sat 25-May-13 07:38:34

YABU there's currently one living it up in my bedroom while I hide out in the spare room. Bastard!

YesIamYourSisterInLaw Sat 25-May-13 07:40:22

Wankercheif I have heard they can live, lay eggs in and even crawl out of a Hoover shock

DevonCiderPunk Sat 25-May-13 07:42:35

Yes I thought it was far too early for them too, but I've had 3 in the house over the last week.

This one managed to extricate itself just as I was going to sleep. I heard that "panic panic splat, panic panic splat" noise so I turned the light on and there it was crossing the room at waist-height, doing that stupid thing with its two front legs extended out as though badly in need of a cuddle.

A spider has dignity.

ipswichwitch Sat 25-May-13 07:44:19

You can have all of my spiders then. They have too many legs (sorry but I think 8 legs is an extravagance, and don't even get me started on millipedes, urgh) and even the bloody cat won't eat them anymore. Also I am sick of them bungeeing into my face when I go in the garage.

burberryqueen Sat 25-May-13 07:49:03

yes spiders are sweet and lovely and have the prettiest little faces if you look closely. We should live together in harmony as they are useful in their dietary preferences.

quesadilla Sat 25-May-13 07:50:07

I am actually terrified of spiders and go to extreme lengths to avoid then but even I have to after with this. If you are going to be a horrible spindly creepy crawly at least be one with substance.

TwistTee Sat 25-May-13 07:51:59

I love spiders and generally tend to leave them alone, unless they are the really thick body version, when I help them outdoors after exhibiting them in a glass to dd.

However my love of spiders is explained by my skin crawling dislike of almost all insects.

fishandlilacs Sat 25-May-13 07:56:53

Alexreids

www.bbc.co.uk/nature/wildfacts/factfiles/348.shtml

SanityClause Sat 25-May-13 08:05:27

DD2 loves spiders, and gets stick at school for being weird.

I have to point out to her that Steve Backshall was thought of at school as the weird boy who smelled of sour goats milk.

And now he's Steve Backshall, and they're bus drivers. (Well they can't all be bus drivers, or there'd be no one to get in the buses, but the point is, they aren't Steve Backshall.)

DevonCiderPunk Sat 25-May-13 08:09:27

Thanks fishandlilacs that was fascinating.

Wow, they can survive for long periods without food & water? Spiders are cool. Their mating habits are mercenary.

I don't like a house spider to crawl on me, but then they'll only do that by accident, then say "oh bollocks, oops" and scarper off as fast as they can.

Far better than this idiot thing which is now pinging about the bookcase fanning itself and shrieking for smelling salts.

bootsycollins Sat 25-May-13 08:13:44

When we were kids my cousin had a massive spider that lived in a speaker, she swears that it had moved house with them grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now