Talk

Advanced search

To think that it shouldn't take 5 weeks to cash a cheque?

(9 Posts)
SamuelWestsMistress Fri 24-May-13 20:20:11

I've recently written out two cheques to different organisations for separate things. (One is dance lessons for DD and another was for a charity show).

I know i need to chase it up, but I've been really busy lately and it's not for a huge amount, which I make sure is always available in the account. I don't always use cheques either but both of these payments had to be sent by post. I can't believe I'm still waiting 5 weeks later for them to be cashed! AIBU in thinking that it is a bit off waiting THAT long?

Bearbehind Fri 24-May-13 20:27:57

Confused- you are waiting for the money to leave your account and it hasn't?

Why is that a problem?

If you know it hasn't then surely you make sure there's enough to cover it when it does and thats it?

SamuelWestsMistress Fri 24-May-13 20:29:48

Yes still waiting for it to be cashed. Just seems an awfully long time?

Bearbehind Fri 24-May-13 20:34:39

Some businesses etc don't bank cheques every day/ week as they get so few nowadays.

I know it can be annoying as you need to keep checking to see if it's cleared so you know there's enough cash to cover it but sods law says it will be cashed on the day you spend it grin

EskSmith Fri 24-May-13 20:54:45

Afraid I often wait this long. My nearest bank is in the centre of our nearest City, 18 miles away. I only go in once a month max, no way would I make a special trip for one cheque.

Is slightly odd for a business but as others have said with the decline in use of cheques they probably wait until they have a fair few before banking.

WMittens Fri 24-May-13 22:39:54

Confused- you are waiting for the money to leave your account and it hasn't?

Why is that a problem?

Because someone less diligent than the OP might not notice, believe they have more money than they do, spend it thinking it's safe to do so and then get hit with charges/interest for going into an unauthorised overdraft.

For someone as diligent as the OP, it screws up budgeting and requires extra effort to track, or they end up as per previous paragraph.

Splatt34 Fri 24-May-13 22:56:24

i've had cheques for months before i could get to the bank.

SizzleSazz Fri 24-May-13 22:58:20

I live/work no where near a bank so often have cheques I haven't cashed for ages. I did have a postal account which was great, but interest was shite so I closed it <sigh>

givemeaboost Fri 24-May-13 22:59:32

legally isnt the time frame 6 months to cash it after it was written?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now