Talk

Advanced search

To be a bit wary of the bottle of Pimms I've found in the cupboard

(11 Posts)
LargeLatte Fri 24-May-13 18:37:37

It's open. At least a year old. Possible 2. No best before or use by date. Smells fine.

Drink it or tip it (which would break my heart).

I am normally so thorough with my alcohol consumption - never found an open abandoned bottle before.

MooseBeTimeForSpring Fri 24-May-13 18:40:16

Drink it. What's the worst that could happen? grin

mrscumberbatch Fri 24-May-13 18:42:51

Drink it. Pimms is Pimms!

Trills Fri 24-May-13 18:43:45

Alcohol kills germs.

Pimms isn't very strong though.

Stick some extra gin in the jug just to be safe.

HazeltheMcWitch Fri 24-May-13 18:49:56

All prepackaged foods have best before dates - with certain exceptions:

- Alcholic products with abv over 10% is one such exception*! Pimms is bottled at 25% alcohol by volume, IIRC. It'll be fine, it really won't 'go bad'. The worst that will happen, if you keep it years and years is that the colour might fade a bit, and the flavours might slightly alter.

*an exception to the exception might be if said product contains a fresh ingredient, eg Baileys which contains cream.

HazeltheMcWitch Fri 24-May-13 18:52:09

Alcholic?

Am slurring already....

LargeLatte Fri 24-May-13 19:06:37

Thanks Hazel.

I like Trills idea and might top it up with a little vodka just to be sure.

EffieTheDuck Fri 24-May-13 19:19:23

Be wary of it after you have necked the contents.

pleasestoptalking Fri 24-May-13 19:22:55

I recently chucked a bottle that had been open for a good 5 years. It had been lost in a house move and I found it again at the back of the cupboard. I did attempt to drink it but it tasted pretty awful.

My theory is if it tastes ok, it's ok.

ifancyashandy Fri 24-May-13 19:24:30

Ach, it's all good! I just realised I've committed a sin against MN and have run out if tonic to wave at add to me gin. Improvised with ginger beer. It's bloody delicious!

NaturalBlondeYeahRight Fri 24-May-13 19:27:04

If you feel really bad tomorrow (headache/queasy etc) then it obviously was off! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now