Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone on here actually think that reins on children are the work of the devil?

(177 Posts)
JesusInTheCabbageVan Fri 24-May-13 16:53:19

If so, why? I'm genuinely curious.

Also, so far as I know there hasn't been a bunfight about this yet, so potentially a good Friday topic grin

LadyVoldemort Fri 24-May-13 16:56:46

Nah, I don't. Do what you want with your kids, none of my business.

I like them in fact. DS was a runner as soon as he came out the pushchair, they probably saved his life a few times.

bearhug Fri 24-May-13 16:57:00

No I really don't. On some toddlers, reins are an essential to preserving the child's life and the parents' sanity. I used to secretly judge parents who had their child on a rein, and then I had DS, and he turned out to be a runner.

Sirzy Fri 24-May-13 16:57:16

I have seen people make comments that they are treating children like dogs and things before.

Personally I would rather "treat a child like a dog" and have them safe than risk them running off when they are 'trained' properly.

Sirzy Fri 24-May-13 16:57:26

or even "aren't trained"

Secondme Fri 24-May-13 16:58:15

People use them, don't they, so they can't be that bad. And also, they are life savers (well my dc anyway). I like them. grin

ReallyTired Fri 24-May-13 16:59:26

No... baby reins are useful and stop children running into roads and getting killed.

I used baby reins at different points with both my children. Its better than the alternative of strapping a child who is perfectly capable of walking into a pushchair.

Locketjuice Fri 24-May-13 17:00:06

I think they are okay smile not particular strong feelings either way

Pobblewhohasnotoes Fri 24-May-13 17:01:50

We will be buying reins for DS as he likes to run off in 10 different directions. I'd rather he didn't run out under a car. If it means he can walk safely then so be it.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 24-May-13 17:03:27

Reins are brilliant.

SanityClause Fri 24-May-13 17:04:10

Well, this is disappointing.

Shall I start?

Reins are the work of the devil. Why would you want to treat your child like a dog?

Just fuck off to the far side of fuck, and when you get there, fuck off some more.

(How was that?)

BlingLoving Fri 24-May-13 17:04:43

I used to think they were bad and that parents who did this were avoiding actually teaching their children how to walk in public...

... then we had DS! And although we didn't use them for long, having the option for a few months and using them at key moments saved a lot of lives.

MyThumbsHaveGoneWeird Fri 24-May-13 17:05:17

No strong feelings. Good topic though! I have often heard that people DO have strong feelings but never actually heard someone say that they personally have strong feelings. IYKWIM.

valiumredhead Fri 24-May-13 17:05:34

It's on threads about reins that I always think of a mumsnetter whose child ran out into the road and was killed - she always says to use reins sad

I always did, I'm tall so holding ds's hand was hard as I had to bend, plus he was a wriggly little so and so and could run really fast, really quickly! Reins were a safe option.

I'd put my dog on a lead to keep it safe so why not my small child?

valiumredhead Fri 24-May-13 17:06:02

bling I did too! grin

Unami Fri 24-May-13 17:06:28

I'm one of those people who thinks it looks weird to put kids on a lead.

I haven't seen people around with them for ages though, so it seems they've gone out of fashion -and the number of toddlers careering to their doom doesn't seem to have risen, so I can't see that they were much use.

Nor have I met a healthy adult who couldn't outmaneuver a toddler. But add in a buggy, and another kid and some shopping, and I can see why people feel more secure using them. Looks weird, but I doubt they are bothered about how it looks.

BrianButterfield Fri 24-May-13 17:07:57

I think they're bloody brilliant but DS refuses to take one step wearing them.

GoodbyePorkPie Fri 24-May-13 17:07:57

For me, reins are something that I thought I would never ever use ... and then I became the parent of a bolter.

Like everyone else says, far, far better to have people turn their nose up at you than see your kid run out into the street.

Before I became a parent I was a bit judgey about how parents brought up their children because I had certain set ideas of how I would bring up my own kids blush. Nowadays I find it very difficult to get worked up about anything other parents do, unless they're mistreating their children.

Sirzy Fri 24-May-13 17:08:17

I see lots of parents using them, its more the backpack things now but the same principle. Its not about being able to out manoeuvre a child, it takes a split second for a child to break away and if that is into the path of a car then no matter how quick a parent reacts that could be too slow.

MousyMouse Fri 24-May-13 17:08:24

no they are a great help if you need them.
you know your child best, if he/she is a bolter them they make absolutely sense.

AlanMoore Fri 24-May-13 17:11:42

Oh ffs. I can outrun my dd but she was an awful bolter and so small it was hard to hold on to her without hurting her. She also liked the freedom to pootle along without being gripped by an adult and when I was pregnant I couldn't have taken her out without them. DS is on them till I work out how much of a runner he is.

It only takes seconds for something awful to happen, not worth the risk. I actually judge people who let toddlers wobble about by busy roads without reins on. So there!

freddiefrog Fri 24-May-13 17:13:14

We had a little red rucksack with a rein for DD1 that I used to get no end of grief over from one particular friend. It was fine until her sister came along and I had a buggy to deal with as well

I was treating my child like a dog and I should teach her to walk properly apparently

Then she had kids grin

MimsyBorogroves Fri 24-May-13 17:13:32

I never understood them before DC.

Now I can't understand it when people don't. All it takes is a split second. DS1 was (is) a very dependable child when walking. He would - and still will at 5 - hold onto a hand or the side of the pram and not run off. If he was a pony, I'd describe him as bombproof.

However, at 2, walking along by a road, his hat flew off in the breeze and into the road. His instinctive reaction was to follow as his hat was precious. Fortunately I grabbed him in time. He was in a Littlelife pack from that moment onwards. It's just not worth the risk.

rainbowsprite1 Fri 24-May-13 17:14:49

My 2 DD's had backpacks when we went to visit a relative in london. They both used to bolt sometimes & are very close in age & I did not want to be standing on clapham high street deciding which toddler to chase & which one to abandon.

Finola1step Fri 24-May-13 17:15:31

Used reins with my ds a few times when he was little. Also used the little back pack style rein with the parent cord (v popular in my area). Ds loved his and dd now dd has one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now