Talk

Advanced search

To buy a playhouse for the garden?

(15 Posts)
MiaowTheCat Fri 24-May-13 13:07:57

Or, realistically will I never get the use of it and it be destined to be filled up with man-crap like our shed/coalstore thing has been?

Basically we don't have a proper shed in this house - we have a kind of cupboard under the stairs but accessible from outside, not inside, that I think must have originally been the coalstore or something. It's full and obviously now DD1 is hitting toddling age at a terrifying pace, we're starting to collect bigger play stuff for outside (I keep raking gumtree etc for cheapo bits mainly planning ahead for next summer when DD2 will be at the point DD1 is at starting to walk, and DD1 will either be walking and climbing or have killed herself in the process of trying to do so... or I'll have keeled over and dropped down dead from the strain of stopping two of them killing themselves getting mobile). My mum's found one of the creches of a charity she's involved with is closing down and selling off play equipment so she seems to have picked up a mountain of Little Tykes type outdoor stuff too... and I'm going to need somewhere to put it over the winter.

First thought was a shed - but I know it'll get innundated with man-crap as DH "just puts this in here for now" and then chucks a right mard-arse strop when I ask him to move it... but I'm now starting to wonder about a wooden playhouse that's probably big enough to take storing things over the winter in it as a second use for it. Just not sure if it's a good idea or not.

Sadly, replacing DH with one that does NOT accumulate man-crap at a rate of knots is not an option.

Pootles2010 Fri 24-May-13 13:11:25

The playhouse will get full of man-crap too, surely? You do sound like you have a smidge too much play stuff though...

What's your current cupboard full of? May I tactfull steer you towards the minimalism thread? grin

night1971 Fri 24-May-13 13:12:00

Whatever you do, don't buy one from TOYS R US. They took 5 days to deliver a "next day " delivery. Then when it was delivered, it was missing 3 parts. Tried to get it taken away 5 days ago and still sitting in the rain. LOUSY WASTE of TIME AND MONEY. angry

Meanwhile, ordered one from John Lewis, far more straightforward service and delivery. wine

night1971 Fri 24-May-13 13:12:50

Playhouse delightful BTW and DC love it.

miffybun73 Fri 24-May-13 13:13:17

We have this one:

www.shedstore.co.uk/kids/playhouses/shire/shire-pixie-playhouse-6-by-5

and the kids absolutely love it.

They are just turned 5 and almost 3 and have used it for the last two years.

They use it for imaginative play - cafe, grocers, shop etc. and it's handy for storing the garden toys too.

SoleSource Fri 24-May-13 13:15:29

Yanbu

Hanginggardenofboobylon Fri 24-May-13 13:15:45

My son got his playhouse in March, he's 3. He loves it and has already had lots of use out of it. We store his bikes/trikes/gardening tools/chairs, etc in there when he's not playing in it. We got one to avoid DH moaning about his shed filling up with kids stuff. I would get the biggest you can so the stuff you actually want to store will all fit in there.

I got mine from Garden buildings direct.

BabyMakesTheBoobiesGoLeaky Fri 24-May-13 13:15:48

My DC love the playhouse. Its 7 years old and still going strong. Things like the small slide,trikes,plastic chairs can be stored in it, there is no crap allowed to accumulate in it as its for the kids.

If your dh tries to dump crap junk stuff in it tell him to buy a shed and leave your kids play equipment alone.

seesensepeople Fri 24-May-13 13:16:48

Well, if you're in Derbyshire my 11 year olds have finally realised they have grown out of theirs!!! They are over 5 foot tall now and bang their heads when they go in - they've loved their own garden space for a few years, even painted the inside (well half of it). I would be willing to let it go to a good home.

And because of it's mini opening size I think your OH would be reluctant to store his stuff in there.

If you're not near me I would still recommend getting one.

MiaowTheCat Fri 24-May-13 13:17:00

The current cupboard contains as far as I last recall from reorganising it before I lost the will to live... about 97 tins of paint of varying interesting colours helpfully left by the previous residents, a pitchfork and flaming torch (well it's a garden candle on a stick) - also helpfully left by the previous owners, a bit of wood DH won't let me throw out but doesn't know what it is, left over bits of carpet he won't let me throw out, bottled water bought when our water went off for 36 hours (again DH won't let me throw this out and insists on hanging onto it in order to flush the loo if the water ever goes off again), half a dismembered barbecue, two lawnmowers (one knackered and not allowed to chuck it), my carefully organised gardening stuff I can't get at cos he's chucked man crap on top of it, one single buggy we won't get to use again for about another 2 years... just utter utter shit really!

And yep we have too many toys - problem with the small age gap is there's no point in tidying the real baby stuff away since DD2 is hitting the age of needing it - so double the amount of stuff at present.

And he'll get killed (and buried under the playhouse if he man-craps that up)!

MiaowTheCat Fri 24-May-13 13:18:19

seesensepeople I'm actually ON the Notts/Derby border (it's about 1 mile away from us)!

(I'm also hoping something for small people would mean DH couldn't physically fit in it to fill it with junk - another cunning part of my plan)

Oldraver Fri 24-May-13 14:04:28

Yes I would go ahead and get one, she will love it. I bought DS a cheap one from ToysRus (I call it the single parent no more kids to pass onto version). He is 7 seven now and has grown out of it in size so we have revamped the shed for him.

Just make sure it doesn't get used as a dumping ground in the winter as I found DS still used his on brighter days all year round

MummytoMog Fri 24-May-13 14:32:09

My Little Tikes stuff stays out all winter - it's all second hand and still looks fine apart from the bird poo which I never remember to clean off so I wouldn't worry about storing it. Playhouses are brilliant, my 3 and 2 year olds have the best time running in and out of their castle (OMG how much do I love the castle, I play in it too) and the little wooden playhouse at the bottom of the garden gets a lot of action.

tassisssss Fri 24-May-13 14:36:39

You need a shed to store the outside toys/bikes/trikes etc (unless you have garage options).

And then a playhouse that is not used to store stuff. IMO it needs to house a wee table and chairs so kids can go there to draw/chill/have snack. We have meals in ours (and it's not that big and there are 5 of us!!). Ours now has the play kitchen in it but only because DH wanted to get rid of it and I wasn't ready for that!

VerySmallSqueak Fri 24-May-13 14:38:39

Mine loved theirs and it was ideal to store their outdoor stuff in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now