Talk

Advanced search

walking (probably) in the rain rather than accepting a lift?

(4 Posts)
bigmouthstrikesagain Fri 24-May-13 11:46:56

Tbh I know I am being unreasonable.

I have a friend with children same age as my younger two. She and I look after each others younger children on occasion. Help out when needed, I have agreed dh or I can provide references if required in her job search. So we have a reciprocal relationship, I enjoy her company though she can be a little pushy, I am sure she means well.

She has a habit of micro managing transportation to any arrangements we make though, she drives I don't. So when we have gone out she spends excessive (imo) amounts of time finding out how people are getting to the pub/ restaurant/ whatever and 'telling' everyone how we should get there, practically arranging a walking bus to the local, picking everyone up in a fleet of taxis etc.
I hate this, I like to know where/ when we need to be and getting there myself, I like walking, plug myself into my music device, enjoy some ambulant alone time.

Today we are going swimming, yesterday she said she would pick me up (in the car), its probably going to be raining. I said I would be going to the swimming pool from somewhere else, that I had errands to run, I would see them there. She still tried to offer her lift. I know it is well meant, I do feel stupid and stubborn, but I just want her to accept a polite no thanks and leave it at that. If she could, I would have no problem with her offering lifts - it is the pushy micro managing that drives me round the bend!

[Looks out of the window, glumly aware of rain blatting against window pane] - I know I am cutting off my nose... but does anyone get where I am coming from?

miffybun73 Fri 24-May-13 11:48:55

YANBU, I totally get you.

This sort of thing really annoys me too.

LemonPeculiarJones Fri 24-May-13 11:51:50

YANBU. She's being controlling. It's fine to reinforce that boundary by continuing to politely decline.

bigmouthstrikesagain Fri 24-May-13 11:59:57

I may may play the classic pe excuse card, and beg off swimming entirely (there are a couple of others going so it won't leave anyone in the lurch), I am hungover and could survive not swimming, go on my own another day.. thus avoiding the lift scenario after swimming. Last time I biked there but it is not much fun cycling whilst blinded by raindrops confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now