Talk

Advanced search

Dog ownership takes more than buying a dog

(7 Posts)
KhaosandKalamity Fri 24-May-13 08:20:34

Been a bit over emotional lately (and have my suspicions as to why) so sorry if I am being irrational. I read an article today (DM, I'm trying to quit, I swear) about a elderly dog trainer who sold a collie for a record breaking amount. It seemed like a puff piece about a nice old man who trains amazing dogs. But the comments were full of comments about dog attacks, people who have collies that herd children*, and how horrible it was to sell the dog**. Sadly there was an article in our local paper about a dog that attacked a horse at a reserve. While the dog attacked the owners, a man and child, stood by and watched.

Is it unreasonable that this makes me wish there were some form of test required to own a dog. People just don't seem to understand them. My I just being completely irrational, it would not surprise me I seem to be a lot at the moment. I did have a long rant about this, but it was turning into a novel.

Ps. *Collies are amazing dogs, but herding can be a dangerous behavior in not working dogs, particularly around children and cats. **And working dogs love to work, I bet the collie loves his trainer too, but he was trained to work and it was probably in his best interest to be sold.

IamMrsElf Fri 24-May-13 09:16:38

I am inclined to agree with you. I just worry about how this test would come about, who would do it, how much would it cost? There would need to be a lot of money spent to make it possible and that is something the country can ill afford at the moment.

My DM & DF decided they wanted a husky. They read every scrap of literature on the breed before they got one, so they fully understood what they were getting. They now have 2 and love their dogs. They took both of them to puppy classes, which gave them more tips on how to take care of their dogs. It's a shame that more people don't research their breed before getting one.

AFewShitsBehind Fri 24-May-13 09:20:18

YANBU I love dogs but would never get one as I know I would be too selfish when it comes to giving them the attention and long walks they deserve.

HazleNutt Fri 24-May-13 09:24:09

In Switzerland, you have to pass a dog-ownership theory course before you get your first dog and with each dog, a practical training as well. Very good idea, I think.

Birdsgottafly Fri 24-May-13 09:27:19

As someone working in Children's services, it would sum up the UK, for me at the moment, to introduce a test for dog ownership, but allow anyone to go ahead and fuck up on parenting, tbh.

The test wouldn't help, people's lives change, they lie and what would you want, licences issued for someone to have an allowed list of breeds?

The requirements for each breed, varies and not just by size.

WileyRoadRunner Fri 24-May-13 09:35:25

I don't think that the comments on the Daily Mail site are a true reflection of anything and should be taken with a pinch of salt grin.

Whilst in theory YANBU it would never work. Those who are irresponsible dog owners would get a dog regardless of licences/tests or any other formal requirement.

Kormachameleon Fri 24-May-13 09:42:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now