Talk

Advanced search

to think he should buy me a present?

(16 Posts)
PandoraBoxx Thu 23-May-13 21:09:50

Basically I asked my partner for a bracelet for my birthday (back in February) - he said yes and to order it.

I never got round to ordering it as I had a lot going on and I thought well I can get it later as I don't have to have it on my actual birthday and I thought he'd buy me something small to open anyway - which he didn't.

I've now seen a watch I really like, it's a little bit more expensive than the bracelet but have said I would pay the difference. He is now refusing to even buy me anything.

I guess I am being unreasonable and probably am coming across as a spoilt brat.

LynetteScavo Thu 23-May-13 21:15:21

He should have asked for the details and ordered it.

If you'd wanted it that much, you would have ordered it....3 months ago.

Basically,now, you are just asking him for cash.

YAbothBU.

SoleSource Thu 23-May-13 21:15:58

He makes no sense

LTB

FourEyesGood Thu 23-May-13 21:17:32

What a depressing way to do presents. I agree with LynetteScavo - you're both BU.

kinkyfuckery Thu 23-May-13 21:18:43

Did he know you hadn't ordered it?

PandoraBoxx Thu 23-May-13 21:21:38

What a depressing way to do presents.

True, but I would have had to have pointed out exactly which one I'd have liked. So it makes no difference who ordered it.

He would have wrapped it up for me if I'd bought it.

PandoraBoxx Thu 23-May-13 21:23:03

If you'd wanted it that much, you would have ordered it....3 months ago.

I'd seen it in a store in Paris, and then couldn't find the same one on the website. Didn't want to spend money on something that would have been my second choice IYSWIM.

DontmindifIdo Thu 23-May-13 21:24:55

Pandora, that's still not ideal but at least would require him to do some effort. For future reference, send him a link to the website at least a fortnight before saying "I like X", leave it up to him, the time to strop up regarding lack of gift is on your actual birthday. You are 3 months late with your tantrum for it to have any effect.

You had already accepting him not buying you a gift.

Fakebook Thu 23-May-13 21:25:57

It's just a bracelet. Stop being materialistic and get over it.

CherylTrole Thu 23-May-13 21:26:07

The two of you need to communicate better confused

DontmindifIdo Thu 23-May-13 21:27:39

Oh x post, that's more complicated, you wanted a bracelet he'd have to go to paris for? Or he'd have to contact the store in Paris? If you wanted something that wasn't for sale in the UK, then that was unfair...

AKissIsNotAContract Thu 23-May-13 21:29:30

When is his birthday? Buy the watch yourself then get him fuck all for his birthday

PandoraBoxx Thu 23-May-13 21:30:11

DontmindifIdo no it's a well known brand and they sell it over here too. I just hadn't seen the one I liked online.

BabsCholmondeley Thu 23-May-13 21:30:28

He is now refusing to even buy me anything
Charming.
Is this symptomatic of his behaviour generally or is he normally generous, kind and thoughtful?

DontmindifIdo Thu 23-May-13 21:40:25

It seems really hard work gift, you wanted him to get you something he couldn't just go get you and you wouldn't let him just pick a gift himself.

On the face of it you were in the right, but it does sound like you picked something very, very hard work and then didn't do it yourself.

For next year, if you want a specific gift, make sure it's possible for him to buy it for you in advance of your birthday. If not, let him get you a surprise, don't leave it 3 months to suddenly remember you've not had a gift that you wanted and now you want something else...

ENormaSnob Thu 23-May-13 22:15:06

He sounds tight and cheap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now