Talk

Advanced search

To eat this Shepherds pie?

(23 Posts)
Madratlady Thu 23-May-13 20:56:19

Dh put the left over shepherd's pie in the oven instead of the fridge last night. If I microwave it and eat it will it be ok or is it likely to make me ill?

SacreBlue Thu 23-May-13 20:58:39

I would but then I eat nearly anything not moving. If you have a good constitution I doubt it would do any harm disclaimer I am not a doctor smile

chocoluvva Thu 23-May-13 20:58:46

I think it'll be okay - unless the oven has a large glass door and sits in the full glare of the sun, causing it to get warm.

Make sure it's really hot.

trashcanjunkie Thu 23-May-13 20:58:56

I would eat it. But I have a cavalier attitude to food safety, and have been known to eat prawn curry that's been left out all night for breakfast. If you reheat it properly it will be bloody delicious.

Bowlersarm Thu 23-May-13 21:00:14

I think I'm right in saying shepherds pie is the one thing to be dubious about reheating.

My friends had a family party and reheated shepherds pies. Most people were ill. And most of those people who were ill were shocked, when they found out they had eaten reheated shepherds pies, that my friends didn't know not to reheat it.

So now I don't!

Madratlady Thu 23-May-13 21:00:52

I have just got in from work after 12 hours. I want my shepherd's pie! It's in the microwave.

WilsonFrickett Thu 23-May-13 21:01:56

Was it made from leftovers or from fresh? I would probably be wary about something that had been cooked, cooled, cooked again, then left at room temp for 24 hours. If it had only been cooked once I'd probably give it a go.

Madratlady Thu 23-May-13 21:02:41

It was cooked fresh. And very yummy it was too.

WilsonFrickett Thu 23-May-13 21:04:02

ach you'll be fine then!

Bowlersarm Thu 23-May-13 21:06:23

If you eat it, let us know if you get food poisoning, then we can all avoid doing it in future grin

It sounds like you are going ahead so I would just say make sure it's piping hot all the way through.

Alwayscheerful Thu 23-May-13 21:08:13

It will be fine.

Madratlady Thu 23-May-13 21:08:57

If it kills me I will indeed let you all know.

It's definitely heated through, I just burnt my lip sad

Loulybelle Thu 23-May-13 21:10:51

I did that couple of day ago, i always do it, not letting it go to waste never.

gaggiagirl Thu 23-May-13 21:10:59

Good on you I would have done the same. I have guts of steel nowt makes me sick (touching wood emoticon)

KittensoftPuppydog Thu 23-May-13 21:18:03

Neigh, thrice neigh.

mikkii Thu 23-May-13 21:20:22

I'd eat it too, I think it's good for your immune system.

Madratlady Thu 23-May-13 21:26:07

No neighs here kitten it's nice lean mince and made into a pie from scratch. Even if I had to text DH detailed instructions on how to make a shepherd's pie. He was very proud of himself.

squeakytoy Thu 23-May-13 21:47:39

It would be absolutely fine to eat.

People managed like this long before fridges were invented.

Madratlady Thu 23-May-13 21:50:03

squeakytoy that's what I thought.

For anyone who wants an adventurous shepherd's pie, this one had a tin of beans, smoked bacon and mushrooms in as well as mince, DH got all creative with it. It was awesome!

Roomfor1more Thu 23-May-13 22:26:33

Shepards Pie is always nicer the next day as is Lasagne once its nuked to nuclear proportions! wink

Samu2 Thu 23-May-13 22:35:07

I would but I have guts of steel. Which I put down to not being a germaphobe and eating meals that have been left out overnight grin

Samu2 Thu 23-May-13 22:36:56

My mum used to put baked beans in her Cottage pie (it's only shepherds pie if you have lamb in it which so many people get confused about) and I hated it.

However, the bacon sounds lovely.

Startail Thu 23-May-13 22:38:10

I would. My squeamishness about food poisoning is in inverse proportion to effort taken to make the dish.

Shepherds pie is a right faff and therefore it is always eaten.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now