Talk

Advanced search

to ask if anyone else is ever an ungrateful sod sometimes?

(14 Posts)
Thurlow Thu 23-May-13 18:52:55

Yesterday my parents looked after my 16mo all day to help us out of a childcare problem. My dad took a day off work. They got up at 6am so they could drive the 1hr to get to mine in time for me to leave for work. They spent all day being knackered by a hyperactive wannabe toddler, in a house that isn't their own, wandering around a town they don't know, until I got home 10 hours later.

At which point I walked through the door, saw them and DD sitting at the table finishing their tea - and my first reaction was to be pissed off that they'd all had dinner without me and hadn't made anything for me.

blush

Does anyone else ever find themselves being absolute ungrateful arse?

Disclaimer: I am of course pathetically grateful to my wonderful parents for being so helpful and amazing

Xmasbaby11 Thu 23-May-13 18:54:49

No sympathy I'm afraid, only envy. We don't have anyone who would do even one of those things for us. You're lucky you can take that for granted.

saintmerryweather Thu 23-May-13 18:55:21

yes i do. my dad bought me a chicken chow mein from the local shop before and rather than being pleased i had an unexpected treat, i was pissed off that it had beansprouts in when normally i have it without

BunnyLebowski Thu 23-May-13 18:56:45

Ungrateful but at least you know it.

With my family in another country and DP's not in the picture I'd kill for that kind of support.

Try and remember how lucky you are smile .

Thurlow Thu 23-May-13 18:59:46

There was a thread on here the other day about turning in to a child when you're back at your parents house. I think it's like that.

Glad you know that I mean, merryweather! I've done it before at work, my manager brought us chocolate after a bad day and I had a brief reaction of - I prefer Twix's - before catching myself...

I'm clearly a terrible person <shrivels in shame>

ParsleyTheLioness Thu 23-May-13 19:02:24

Your manager bought you chocolate! YABU!

ParsleyTheLioness Thu 23-May-13 19:03:24

Of course, that doesn't make it U to ask if we ever were ungrateful...just jealous of a manager who buys you choccie!

sooperdooper Thu 23-May-13 19:05:07

I would never admit this irl, but my Dh bought me Jimmy Choos as a present on our wedding day...... I wore them obviously but I don't actually like them! Oops

CalamityJ Thu 23-May-13 19:08:29

My work colleague got me two drinks from the machine at work and all I could say was 'I asked you to fill up my water bottle'. How ungrateful! In my defence he did offer and I was having a bad reaction to some tablets I was on

I often cringe at how rude I was to someone doing me a favour and am careful to try and remember to be appreciative of any favour well intended even if you didn't actually want the favour doing!

Thurlow Thu 23-May-13 19:18:17

Jimmy Choos shock - you win!

Minshu Thu 23-May-13 20:17:17

I flipped my lid about DP buying me flowers when DD was a week or so old. The house was such a tip so I didn't want them nestled among the unopened post and unread papers on the dining table blush

juneybean Thu 23-May-13 20:19:14

Yeah I get grumpy over silly things when people are trying to do nice things, I don't even know why. I'm just a negative nancy.

raisah Thu 23-May-13 21:00:57

I was an ungrateful cow the other day & hurt dhs feelings by refusing to take the sandwiches he made for my lunch. He put them in a tupperware box with a cartoon cow on the front. We ran out of foil so that was the only thing available.

Thurlow Thu 23-May-13 21:06:45

Was it the picture of the cow, or the actual sandwiches that annoyed you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now