Talk

Advanced search

....to wonder about Paul Hollywood?

(29 Posts)
rufussmum Thu 23-May-13 13:44:34

In view of all the fan posts on MN about PH, do we all still think he is the best thing since..erm..sliced bread? I see Mary Berry says 'boys will be boys' but unfaithful men usually get a pasting here on MN.

YouStayClassySanDiego Thu 23-May-13 13:46:58

There's a thread on carb face in chat about what a dick head he is.

MoanyYoni Thu 23-May-13 13:56:49

I guess it's a sign of the celebrity age but I have to say I think the vitriol levelled at him on a couple of threads on here have been a bit ridiculous.

Who knows what went on in their marriage?! They've been married for years and only they know what has happened in that time. Admittedly it looks bad, the fact he's started filming with this woman and the next minute he's left his wife but we don't know the facts. It's not as if he or his wife have spoken out.

Have to say I'm a bit confused at some of the views on here.

youmeatsix Thu 23-May-13 14:03:04

i have watched Marcela Valladolids programme for quite a while and i dont think there is one episode she hasnt said how much she values and loves her family, how they are the most important thing to her etc Paul Hollywood has portrayed himself all along as a family man, didnt understand the sex symbol status blah blah. the public feel it was all a sham, so how his wife must feel is beyond me. I am shocked at mary berry's response i have to say, he isnt a BOY he is a man, with a child, this should never have been so public, the brought it into the public by tweeting instead of at least trying to keep it behind closed doors,

Bobyan Thu 23-May-13 14:04:40

Love Mary berry's cooking, hate her views on women and feminism.

squoosh Thu 23-May-13 14:14:43

I've always found him to be a charisma free zone and physically he does nothing for me so I think it's nicely redressed all the perplexing 'ooooh I really fancy Paul Hollywood' malarkey that's been going on.

If Mary Berry really did say 'boys will be boys' well then she deserves a cream pie in the face. National treasure or not.

LRDtheFeministDragon Thu 23-May-13 14:15:37

In all honesty I'm more 'hmm' about Mary Berry.

Either she doesn't know exactly what's going on - in which case it's none of her business and she should butt out instead of spreading sexist crap - or she does know exactly what's going on, in which case she's not a very good mate to be airing his dirty laundry in public.

Cheating on someone is wrong but I don't see it being gender-specific - what's gender-specific is the reactions it gets.

LRDtheFeministDragon Thu 23-May-13 14:16:22

Ha! grin

When will I learn to post faster so I don't end up repeating everyone else's pithier posts? blush

BOF Thu 23-May-13 14:19:45

He IS getting a pasting though, so YABU.

You can hardly expect people to have come down on him like a tonne of brick BEFORE they knew he was a faithless toad, and that's when the vast majority of fan posts used to happen. Before: amiable twinkly-eyed tv baker. After: sleazy smarmy doughboy. That's the main thrust of the posts on MN.

LRDtheFeministDragon Thu 23-May-13 14:21:48

I never liked him. Too much salt, bleugh.

And he doesn't like alcohol in puddings.

And he has no taste in shirts.

Scholes34 Thu 23-May-13 14:42:46

Don't agree with the alcohol and puddings - alcohol in puddings is good. You do need a fair amount of salt in bread, though, for all the chemistry to work well.

Lottapianos Thu 23-May-13 14:45:00

'If Mary Berry really did say 'boys will be boys' well then she deserves a cream pie in the face'

Completely agree, although in her defence, this 'boys will be boys' quote was attributed to 'a friend' of hers in the DM. So it could be utter rubbish. Although I wouldn't be surprised at all if it were true.

LRDtheFeministDragon Thu 23-May-13 14:46:41

Yeah, but he puts in enough salt and then some!

What pisses me off is he'll taste something and say sorrowfully that there isn't enough salt, as if it's a totally objective thing. Now, surely, if everyone else thinks there is enough salt, he might consider he's the odd one out?!

He's wrecked his tastebuds, I think.

(I do hope everyone agrees this is the important point of the thread.)

Tailtwister Thu 23-May-13 14:49:15

I don't pretend to know anything about Paul Hollywood or the state of his marriage, but find Mary Berry's comment 'boys will be boys' pretty distasteful.

squoosh Thu 23-May-13 14:49:26

Hes strikes me as one of those 'celebs' who google themselves feverishly. (sounds slightly filthy).

He won't enjoy the way the tide is turning.

Snoopytwist Thu 23-May-13 16:15:44

google themselves feverishly grin

Scholes34 Thu 23-May-13 18:07:01

To get back to the real point of the thread, bread without sufficient salt doesn't taste good. However, LRD, you're right, he's probably over-salted his taste buds. Perhaps he's like me - it's no salt on lots of things, but lots of salt on others, like roast potatoes, chips and anything with cheese melted on top of it. And it has to be salted butter with bread. And proper butter, none of that spreadable stuff.

maras2 Thu 23-May-13 18:12:28

He's gay.

LRDtheFeministDragon Thu 23-May-13 18:15:29

Oh, I love lots of salt on the right things. I go mad for that butter that has grainy salt crystals mixed into it so that they crunch when you bite down. I just think that he's a bit of knob about it.

rufussmum Thu 23-May-13 20:05:30

Scholes - is all this talk about salt a metaphor for what makes a tasty relationship? That's all about getting the chemistry right too.

Scholes34 Thu 23-May-13 20:16:27

Ooh, rufussmum perhaps it is, but I just didn't realise.

Anyway, you can't beat fresh French bread, salted butter and strawberry jam or sardine pate (though what I really mean is that fish paste that comes in a jar).

GreenEggsAndNichts Thu 23-May-13 20:16:38

I did love Paul. He's got the look I would usually find attractive, and clearly knows how to use his hands. grin

Over time, though, he's become a bit too in love with himself and it's coming through on his programmes. It's fun when Mary keeps him in check, but his Bread show was a bit tedious.

Also, I liked some of his recipes from How To Bake and one of the BakeOff books, but the newest Bread book is a disappointment. Just my opinion, of course.

I'm not at all surprised that he's left his wife. I could see it a mile away, pretty much as soon as I knew he was going to the US. The ego, and that stare, he's ready to go take advantage of his newfound celebrity.

Summary: yes, I think he's a bit of a jerk, but it's been a long time coming.

perplexedpirate Thu 23-May-13 20:19:50

Gutted about Mary saying that. I was sure she'd wither him with her frosty gaze, but no!
Disappointed in them both, for different reasons.

rufussmum Thu 23-May-13 20:24:55

Scoles - you doing it again! Symbolism of french stick, butter (remember Marlon?) and fish paste. You a psychoanalyst by any chance?

Punkatheart Thu 23-May-13 20:45:11

She is the mother-in'law of a friend of our family. Lovely but very twee and does not like to confront or think about anything too challneging, like feminism. PH has an ego as big as a baguette. His wife can do better - find someone of substance. Not yeast.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now