Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to ask DH to stop watching the evening news in bed?

(17 Posts)
DorisShutt Thu 23-May-13 07:25:55

I hate the news. It's depressing, it's full of horrible things that upset me and stress me out (currently dealing with GP about possibly starting anti-anxiety medication).

I usually listen to the radio all day (local station so not terribly in depth) so get a flavour of the news in their short bulletins. I can then choose whether to google anything that has caught my interest.

DH likes watching the 10pm news programme. I usually watch the starting headlines (at the bongs) and then leave the room to get ready for bed and read my book until he is done. Now DH has started to say that he'll come to bed too and watch the news. I don't mind him watching other stuff in bed (he has a thing for Deadliest Catch hmm), and occasionally find myself caught up in it.

But would IBU to say that he can watch anything else, but not the news? I want to go to sleep relaxed and chilled, not stressing about what I've just seen.

samandi Thu 23-May-13 08:57:54

YANBU. Preumably you have another tv in the lounge that he can watch. Bedrooms should be peaceful places.

redexpat Thu 23-May-13 09:45:18

YANBU. He should respect your need for peace and quiet before you go to bed. We have a similar rule of no CSI before bed.

TeWiSavesTheDay Thu 23-May-13 09:47:48

He should respect your wishes - I couldn't bring myself to watch the news at all yesterday, and kept abreast online instead.

I certainly couldn't have slept afterwards if I had by the sound of it.

DeepRedBetty Thu 23-May-13 09:48:21

yanbu. Mind you I don't have tv in bedrooms full stop, partially because bed is for reading until 4 a.m. sleeping, partially because I want the moral highground for my ban on things that flicker in dcs bedrooms.

Bowlersarm Thu 23-May-13 09:50:11

YANBU

I like to watch the 10 o'clock news before I go to bed. We don't have a tv in the bedroom so even though the news may be depressing it happens in the sitting room (!) so bedroom time gives us a buffer to cheer up reading or whatever.

I couldn't bear to watch the news last night at all because of the poor soldier sad sad. Which is unlike me.

KatherineLacey Thu 23-May-13 09:51:00

Yanbu but i hate tvs in the bedroom anyway. Bedrooms are for sleeping and shagging in imo

YANBU for not wanting him to watch tv in the bedroom IF you are wanting to get to sleep but YABU for trying to dictate to him what he can and can't watch. Just because it upsets you is no reason for him not to watch it......would you let him ban you from watching your stuff?

thebody Thu 23-May-13 10:08:45

Agree with Betty.

hellsbellsmelons Thu 23-May-13 10:24:55

If it causes you anxiety then you need to talk to him about it.
I'm sure he'll understand and you can come up with a solution.
I'm with you - I never watch the news as it's all just soooo depressing.

HoHoHoNoYouDont Thu 23-May-13 10:28:37

YANBU

If I want news I go onto the internet, that way I get to skim the main news without having to hear all the dross that comes with it when reported on the TV. They make meal out of some of it.

WhereYouLeftIt Thu 23-May-13 10:35:48

YANBU.

The OP is not 'banning' her husband from watching the news, she is objecting to be a captive audience to a TV programme that she has chosen not to watch. For whatever reason, doesn't matter. She leaves the room when it comes on, and lets him get on with watching what he wants to watch. He has no need to trot after her and watch it in the bedroom rather than the living room; he's being thoughtless.

DorisShutt Thu 23-May-13 13:48:21

No. I'm not banning him from watching it - just asking him to refrain from watching it in the bedroom and watch it in the lounge instead.

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 23-May-13 14:43:03

TVs in bedrooms are bad for sex and sleep. Who doesn't want more sex and sleep? The TV moved out of DH's bedroom when I moved in.

YANBU not wanting the news in bed.

AnythingNotEverything Thu 23-May-13 14:46:51

Can he watch it on a smart phone or tablet with headphones in?

shewhowines Thu 23-May-13 14:53:31

I don't watch it either; its too depressing.

TheCountessOlenska Thu 23-May-13 14:55:12

YANBU

DH claims he can't sleep without Radio 5 hmm but I make him wear headphones. And I have asked not to be woken by "breaking news" from him at some ungodly hour (most recently "North Korea are going to nuke the US!" um thanks, that's just what I want to hear at 3am angry ) He seemed so thrilled too confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now