Talk

Advanced search

To wonder where people's safety or even logic is at.

(29 Posts)
Altinkum Wed 22-May-13 21:49:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

gordyslovesheep Wed 22-May-13 21:50:50

maybe they felt it would help the police to catch them?

<clutches straws>

horseonabeach Wed 22-May-13 21:52:31

Same reason the motorways get clogged up with chicken heads staring at accidents - morbid curiosity.

HollyBerryBush Wed 22-May-13 21:53:18

If you watched the news, you would know the assailants stopped a bus and asked the people to film.

I don't know about you, but my self preservation would kick in and I'd do anything asked of me by a man with a machete.

Lj8893 Wed 22-May-13 21:53:37

I personally would react the same as you Op.

But fear and adrenaline makes everyone react in different ways.

Eskino Wed 22-May-13 21:53:54

I know. My first thought would be to get out of the way of these nutters, and to shield my kids eyes from it. But then, I've never been in such a situation so maybe i'd do something irrational. Londoners are known for being hardfaced though aren't they?

AnyaKnowIt Wed 22-May-13 21:54:16

Or you could y'know if that man with the big fuck off knife says film me, You would film him hmm

StealthOfficialCrispTester Wed 22-May-13 21:54:34

Good point holly

Eskino Wed 22-May-13 21:56:24

Sorry, I mean hardfaced in a "seen it all" sort of way. I'm sure some Londoners are as emotional as any other person from anywhere

You can sit there now, rationally thinking about a situation and think you would react in a certain way, if you were to be faced with it in reality then you might react completely differently.

Altinkum Wed 22-May-13 21:58:48

HollyBerryBush Wed 22-May-13 22:01:33

How is a film or photo different from war poets or artists capturing death? It's just a different medium.

if you don't acknowledge and capture images, then history can be rewritten.

Would you complain about CCTV or satellite images?

These images will convict the accused.

Altinkum Wed 22-May-13 22:18:16

scaevola Wed 22-May-13 22:21:41

It's vile on one level. And passing footage to the media is reprehensible.

But they are also filming things that might include vital evidence. If you cannot assist by taking on an assailant, or providing emergency aid to a victim, you can help the investigation by a filmed account of events as they unfold.

horseonabeach Wed 22-May-13 22:25:55

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/10074881/Mum-talked-down-Woolwich-terrorists-who-told-her-We-want-to-start-a-war-in-London-tonight.html

Lifeisontheup Wed 22-May-13 23:04:26

It's the same mentality that films an active resus going on whilst ushering your children to the front so they get a really good view of proceedings as I found out a few weeks ago.

MAny people's first instinct seems to be to record what is happening, very few offer to help.

5madthings Wed 22-May-13 23:06:59

If someone with a gun and knife told me to film them, I would bloody well film them.

Shock and fear makes people do mall sorts of things. The whole thing is horrific, I feel for the family involved and the public who were there, awful thing to witness sad

Altinkum Wed 22-May-13 23:11:40

5madthings Wed 22-May-13 23:17:52

No they weren't bit as o said fear and shock makes people do odd things, you don't think logically.

Shallishanti Wed 22-May-13 23:24:33

that woman was amazing!
am in awe

hopkinette Wed 22-May-13 23:25:41

You have no idea how you would behave in a situation like that. None. But self-righteousness does feel good, doesn't it?

Altinkum Wed 22-May-13 23:34:50

hopkinette Wed 22-May-13 23:52:43

Yes, I've also been raped.

I still don't feel that I could confidently predict the way I'd react in a situation like the one in Woolwich today, and it didn't cross my mind to berate the witnesses for their reactions, or assert how much more rational I am than them. I used to be very confident about how I would react if I was in X situation, and in fact it was (partly) being raped that put paid to that.

I'm sorry for your trauma. What you went though was horrifying. But perhaps you should try to bear in mind that the people who watched this unfold today were also experiencing trauma, and possibly don't need to be scolded on the internet.

5madthings Wed 22-May-13 23:55:54

I have been rapped as well and I froze, didn't utter a sound and the let my rapist walk me home, shock make you do funny things.

5madthings Wed 22-May-13 23:57:54

Raped bloody auto correct.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now