Talk

Advanced search

...not to want my DD's hat put on another child?

(22 Posts)
Melawen Wed 22-May-13 17:53:12

I'm probably being unreasonable as DD catches all the colds and bugs anyway so this is not a big deal in the scheme of things, but as we left nursery I saw DD's sun-hat get plonked on another child's head.

There is a known case of headlice in the nursery though (albeit in a different room) so should I say something about not sharing hats or is it not worth bothering about because they'll all catch everything at some point!! wink

Elesbe Wed 22-May-13 17:57:41

Does her hat have her name clearly written inside? If so then you are definitely not BU. smile

Melawen Wed 22-May-13 17:59:20

Thanks Nana!! grin Yes your DGD does have her name in her hat!!

Sirzy Wed 22-May-13 17:59:48

Children will swap hats, or pick up the wrong one all the time. It's really not worth getting bothered about.

SantanaLopez Wed 22-May-13 18:00:40

Meh I couldn't really be bothered arguing. Maybe the child didn't have one- would you rather they went without?

namechangeofshame Wed 22-May-13 18:02:43

Fyi I don't believe you can catch lice apart from direct contact.

Yonionekanobe Wed 22-May-13 18:06:07

Our nursery have a box of branded hats as they got so sick of the kids not having them, especially on days when it gets hot and sunny unexpectedly. This means all share - nits and all.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Wed 22-May-13 18:08:00

YABU to even be thinking about it really. The kids rub heads together, lick hands and generally infect one another with all kinds all day. You just don't see it happening usually!

Melawen Wed 22-May-13 18:11:32

Fair point everyone, it just made me twitch a bit when I saw it happen!!

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Wed 22-May-13 18:12:18

Next stop is Nit Central. I would be pissed off too.

Melawen Wed 22-May-13 18:16:00

Thanks property but somehow it's not just the nit factor, but the fact that the hat belongs to DD not everybody!!

5Foot5 Wed 22-May-13 19:24:18

Maybe the child didn't have one- would you rather they went without?

But if another child had the OP's DC's hat on then wouldn't that mean OP's DC was going without it?

Mind you - where are you OP that it is warm enough to need a sun hat at the moment?

thebody Wed 22-May-13 19:28:13

You can't catch nits from a hat. It's direct hair contact.

I used to keep a box of sun hats/ gloves/ wooly hats etc incase parents forgot( CM)

Good tip to stop nits, use conditioner as hair softer and hard for the littke buggers to latch onto.

CloudsAndTrees Wed 22-May-13 19:32:03

I wouldn't like this either, not because of nits but because a child's belongings should go with them or go in their own safe place when they aren't at nursery. Things like that are personal belongings.

They will share plenty of things that belong to the nursery though, especially hats masks and clothes for dressing up.

getyourheadout Wed 22-May-13 19:38:10

you can catch nits from hats , pillow cases and combs .

SantanaLopez Wed 22-May-13 19:40:51

The OP's child didn't need the hat, she was going home. Other child presumably needed it. No problem IMO.

IneedAsockamnesty Wed 22-May-13 19:41:21

You can catch head lice from hats and bedding.

A head louse takes between 24 and 48 hours to die once it leaves its host if it does not find another.

A nit can take longer quite a bit longer but do not become dislodged as frequently due to the louse cementing it to the hair shaft.

Sharing hats is from a head lice perspective rather risky behaviour if that hat is likely to be worn again within 24 hours.

thebody Wed 22-May-13 19:48:59

Op just googled it to check the facts. It would be extremely unlikely to catch nits from a hat.

Google it yourself.

thebody Wed 22-May-13 19:50:05

And bloody scratching like mad now!!!

IneedAsockamnesty Wed 22-May-13 21:24:12

Nits perhaps as they are the eggs that are cemented on to the hair shaft by the louse. But it would not be unlikely to have an actual louse inside a fabric hat transferred onto a new wearers head.

SpanishFly Wed 22-May-13 22:12:41

If it's like my DS' s nursery, then parents were asked for hats and suncream, so a child SHOULDNT be without a hat.
Regardless of nits etc, I hate being organised with things, when others don't bother so much

firawla Wed 22-May-13 23:00:46

I think yanbu, it just seems a bit rude to use someone's belongings on someone else without permission

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now