Talk

Advanced search

To throw an apple core onto the grass verge?

(80 Posts)
Kasterborous Wed 22-May-13 15:53:18

I ate an apple while taking DD to playgroup this morning. I threw the core onto this big grass verge that is unkempt anyway. I've always thought it was ok to do this with apple cores as they rot. I never throw any litter away always put it in the bin or take it home. I always pick my dogs poo up, and wouldn't throw an apple core on someone's lawn.

But there was someone behind me who called me a litter lout mumbled under their breath in passing so was I being unreasonable or not?

sooperdooper Wed 22-May-13 15:54:42

YANBU, an apple core will rot away or get eaten by birds, I'd throw an apple core the same, they were being dim to moan about it

HotCrossPun Wed 22-May-13 15:54:51

YANBU, it will rot away and feed some insects before it does.

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 22-May-13 15:54:53

Someone got fined a while ago for this. It is littering. Insane but true.

coffeeinbed Wed 22-May-13 15:55:54

Apple cores, banana peel, orange peel.
Of course it's bloody litter.
What do you think it's going to happen to it?
Is the compost fairy doing to appear and deal with it?
no.
YABU.
and a litter lout.

Bogeyface Wed 22-May-13 15:56:03

I think YABU tbh, mainly because you are giving a mixed message to your DD. Rubbish goes in the bin (or recycling) and if there isnt a bin you take it home.

There have been cases of people being fined for littering with apple cores, so the law says that YABU too!

MrsHoarder Wed 22-May-13 15:56:31

A grass verge isn't on. Into a rural hedge maybe, but not the verge and certainly not in a built up area.

Bogeyface Wed 22-May-13 15:56:55

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/a1581603-to-think-throwing-an-apple-core-into-a-hedge-does-not-deserve-150-fine

Came up on google!

McNewPants2013 Wed 22-May-13 15:57:00

It is littering and food waste attracts rats and mice.

FruOla Wed 22-May-13 15:57:53

YANBU. It will be eaten by birds or little critters. It's not littering, it's recycling - or, rather, it's just going back into the food chain.

CajaDeLaMemoria Wed 22-May-13 15:58:07

It is actually littering, and you can be charged additionally for littering food products that attract pests.

So while I can see your logic, at least the person behind you wasn't someone who could fine you!

Bluegrass Wed 22-May-13 15:58:10

YABU. An apple core slowly rotting on the ground looks crap. Saying something is already untidy is no excuse to make it more of a mess, otherwise the whole thing becomes a cycle of people adding shit on top of shit because no one gives a damn. Take some pride in your puberty and find a bin or take it home.

ChocsAwayInMyGob Wed 22-May-13 15:58:20

Well, it looks like its illegal but I think it's OK if its an apple core. Birds and insects will have a go and then it will rot down into harmless mulch.

GetOrfMoiLand Wed 22-May-13 15:58:24

I would lob an apple core into a field or something in a rural area, but not a grass verge in a town.

Anyway, who is going to tell off the OP for eating in the street? grin

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 22-May-13 15:58:51

Thanks for finding that Bogey. I knew I probably saw it here.

Also, boring factoid, we need more green waste in the bin because it actually helps the landfills decompose. No idea if this is true but someone who is a bit of a rubbish nerd told me.

GetOrfMoiLand Wed 22-May-13 15:58:59

lol at take pride in your puberty

WOOOOOAH Bodyform

GetOrfMoiLand Wed 22-May-13 15:59:31

No idea if this is true but someone who is a bit of a rubbish nerd told me

That just made me laugh as well.

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 22-May-13 16:00:04

Take some pride in your puberty <sniggers like Beavis and Butthead>

McNewPants2013 Wed 22-May-13 16:00:31

pmsl at bluegrass

pride in your puberty how excatly

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 22-May-13 16:00:48

WOOOOOAH Bodyform

<falls off chair>

melika Wed 22-May-13 16:02:48

Yanbu apple cores are food for birds. I do it. Forget the knockers!

sassytheFIRST Wed 22-May-13 16:03:29

Literally lolling at bodyform here grin

Bogeyface Wed 22-May-13 16:03:50

Apple cores are also food for rats and mice you know...

Startail Wed 22-May-13 16:04:17

I always throw apple cores on the lawn as I have blackbirds that devour them.

At university we threw them out for the acquittals, especially when we had revision. Watching squirrels spiralling down the trunk of a scots pine is way more fun than working.

Bluegrass Wed 22-May-13 16:04:34

Lol - country! Autocorrect on top form today :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now