Talk

Advanced search

to think I'll spend less if I'm out at work all day?

(43 Posts)
EleanorHandbasket Wed 22-May-13 14:27:13

The other 'budget' thread has got me thinking.

We're about to take a massive drop in income (if I get the job), at the moment I earn shitloads a fair whack as a CM and obvs no childcare costs. But because I'm at home we spend a fortune on crap, or not just crap but THINGS.

I reckon being out of the house will balance it though. Less gas/electric for a start. I won't be feeding 500 children a day, and I won't be grazing all day either. No wandering round Tescos at leisure popping goodies in the trolley. No coffees at toddler groups. Much fewer nespresso capsules throughout the day (I've been spending £60 a month on those bad boys since Xmas blush). Less on petrol, maybe (the job is less far than the school/nursery runs). Less idle browsing of the interwebs and the associated impulse purchases.

I'm right, arent' I? Tell me I'm right because we are waving bye bye to eleven hundred pounds a month and I'm a bit scared.

thanks

Poledra Wed 22-May-13 14:32:37

Sorry if this is being too nosey, but isn't this going to mean you'll need childcare yourself? Coz frankly, that's by far the biggest chunk of my budget every month...

EleanorHandbasket Wed 22-May-13 14:32:45

On paper we still have plenty to get by on, but it is masses and masses less than we do now and we never seem to have anything left to put into our sad and lonely savings account.

Come and console me by telling me you all spend £££ as SAHM complared to WOHM. Please.

EleanorHandbasket Wed 22-May-13 14:34:26

Yes, sorry, it's the childcare that's the biggest chunk. New wage minus chidcare is what takes us down by such a drop. It's hideous. It'll be worth it in the long term but we have 3dc so it's pretty crippling.

EleanorHandbasket Wed 22-May-13 14:35:30

But I'm thinking if I can balance that out a bit by spending less on incidental 'at home' things, it'll square up neater in my head...

Nagoo Wed 22-May-13 14:37:12

Childcare is another mortgage for us....

I can sit on the internet at work and shop just as easily as I can at home... sorry.

HeySoulSister Wed 22-May-13 14:37:32

I don't think the 'at home' things can really add up to that much.

BuggerLumpsAnnoyed Wed 22-May-13 14:39:06

Why are you doing this?

Bonsoir Wed 22-May-13 14:39:23

Maybe you should think of your "fair whack" in terms of net profit rather than in terms of gross income. You seem to have a problem with Activity Based Costing. And also with self-control (that Nespresso habit!).

perrinelli Wed 22-May-13 14:40:12

Will you be taking a packed lunch every day? Because I spend a fortune on lunches and coffees on my work days.

HeySoulSister Wed 22-May-13 14:40:39

yes....self control! your post is just excuses really. whats the new job?

Nagoo Wed 22-May-13 14:41:55

Maybe you are spending the money because you have it. Do you think that you will be able to budget better when you have less?

I shop online, that means I get less impulsive items in my trolley.

HeySoulSister Wed 22-May-13 14:44:08

does a childminder really wander aimlessly round Tesco and sit on the internet when there are mindee's to be considered? i'm quite surprised you find time for all this coffee drinking....shouldn't you be up to your eyes in paint/playdough/books etc?

EleanorHandbasket Wed 22-May-13 14:44:40

In answer to why I'm doing it, it's not all about money, I've been at home with my DC for a very long time, working from home for most of it, and I want to chase a real career before it's too late. The job I'm after is what I want to do, Childminding has been wonderful but I'm tired of it, my DC are tired of it, even my DH is. We want our lives and house back.

Actually, Bonsoir, you are spot on there, my net profit is actually much less than my 'new' wage will be, but I don't often think of it like that as most of my expenses are ones I woudl incur being at home with DS2, but actually that's made me feel a lot happier about it, and I don't know why I didn't think of it myself thanks.

Chocotrekkie Wed 22-May-13 14:46:10

With work don't forget smart clothes (depending on job),shoes,bag etc

Also the constant birthday collections, leaving do collections, wedding collections, maternity/paternity collections and my personal favourite the I am running for 5 minutes down the road sponsorship forms.

Also you can spend a lot in a lunch hour and on the way there and back especially if you like decent coffee as most places ive worked use crappy instant bought in bulk.

EleanorHandbasket Wed 22-May-13 14:47:03

I have lunch/coffee breaks, and family shopping is part of our weekly activities. All three of my mindees are having half an hour of Cbeebies before the school run now, we've done gymnastics, the park and a sponsored walk today so they are shattered.

EleanorHandbasket Wed 22-May-13 14:48:24

Good points, Choco.

Nagoo, yes, I only spend it because it's there. At least I think so. My credit cards might say otherwise

EleanorHandbasket Wed 22-May-13 14:49:08

And yes, childcare will cost more than our mortgage.

Gulp.

beginnings Wed 22-May-13 14:51:18

Despite developing a very serious coffee and cake habit while on mat leaves I'm spending a shed load more now that I'm back at work. Travel, coffees, lunches, clothes to get me set back up (which I promptly couldn't wear as I got knocked up again) not to mention childcare as you've already factored that back in. Being at home was definitely much much cheaper.

CajaDeLaMemoria Wed 22-May-13 14:55:59

Hmm..

You know, I think you're wrong. It makes sense the way you look at it, but work is so expensive.

There's endless collections, which you can't get out of. Charity donations you are expected to make. Travel to and from work. Coffee and teas inside the office are free here, but everyone gets a Starbucks/Costa etc because of peer pressure. Same for lunch. Overpriced snack bars or meals or burgers. There's usually someone doing a cake sale. Work clothes are expensive, and you'll need to replace them often because you can't wear the same shirt two days in a row etc.

I found being at home much, much cheaper, despite grazing all the time, popping out for an unnecessary coffee and lunch most days, and going to Tesco/Sainsburys/Morrisons all the time just because. Just grabbing things that I don't need, but want.

It might be different for you, but have you got a plan incase it's not? Will you be fine anyway, or will it make things impossibly tight?

sounds like you need a clear budget plan, you should include everything you want / need to spend on and allocate amounts... including savings even if it is only a little bit for emergencies. include and debts / card bill etc too and PLAN

zxcv123 Wed 22-May-13 14:59:38

Well I spend a lot less now that I'm working than when I was a SAHM. Simply to do with having far less time to spend it!

Nowadays I often put £50 in my purse on Monday morning and by Friday evening it's still there. When I was a SAHM that money would disappear on treats for the DCs, treats for me, coffee and cake out with friends etc.

I also notice my fuel costs are lower in the winter as I don't heat the house during the day. Turns out we don't need so many clothes as I used to buy, either. (Not a deliberate choice - just haven't got round to buying so many, and we don't seem to miss them...)

EleanorHandbasket Wed 22-May-13 15:02:09

I have spreadsheeted it all to the nth degree, we won't starve but it's not going to be pretty for a few months. DH has a pay review next month though and I am going in as a trainee so both wages should go up.

It's going to be a total lifestyle change, and we'll make it work, but it's a bit terrifying. In a good way. Erk.

EleanorHandbasket Wed 22-May-13 15:03:00

Thank you zxcv. That's what I think will happen.

EleanorHandbasket Wed 22-May-13 15:04:04

And if it doesn't work out I can go back to China without any trouble. So it's a calculated risk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now