Talk

Advanced search

People always asking for things via their Facebook statuses?

(39 Posts)
Lamour Wed 22-May-13 13:39:43

Has anyone else got Facebook friends that do this? Or perhaps it's just me.

One friend posted today asking if anyone has a pram, cot, and other baby equipment she can have for her new baby.

Another posted fairly recently asking if she could have peoples' old maternity clothes, but "preferably Isabella Oliver or Next".

Someone else is always asking if anyone can pick her son up from school for her that day.

I just think it's a bit cheeky really. AIBU?

HibiscusIsland Wed 22-May-13 13:45:01

"Does anyone have a pram, cot, and other baby equipment for my new baby?"

"Yes, I'm selling all of these at the NCT sale. Do come along and buy it." grin

catgirl1976 Wed 22-May-13 13:46:35

I can forgive the 'can anyone pick my son up' one as it may have been desperation and I don't mind "Is anyone selling / knows anyone who is selling xx"

But the "preferably Isabella Oliver" comment is a bit of a piss take IMO

I may go on and check if any of my friends are giving away yachts or original Monets

MatersMate Wed 22-May-13 13:46:38

No!? Seems very bizarre to me, maybe someone asking if anyone was selling something, but even that has never happened.

SomeDizzyWhore1804 Wed 22-May-13 13:52:12

I've got one of these, every other status is asking for something . When someone called her on it recently she said "well having a baby is very expensive!"

Duh hmm

Loulybelle Wed 22-May-13 13:57:30

she said "well having a baby is very expensive!"

No shit sherlock, does one not realise before hand.

Raaraathenoisybaby Wed 22-May-13 13:59:08

I wouldn't mind. I have some maternity stuff to give away and some baby stuff. If I want to sell it I will but no harm in asking IMO

DeWe Wed 22-May-13 14:24:35

I don't mind that at all.

Because actually it's easier to refuse/ignore if it's generally asked to everyone rather than put on the spot and asked directly.
I'll help if I can, but if I'm asked directly then I feel guilt if I can't. Also if I am in the situation that it's tricky for me, but can if they're desperate then I can see if they've had replies and volunteer if they're stuck.

I would always take on the asking for stuff as acceptable to reply "I am selling a XXX for £50, will take £40 from you" or whatever.

honeytea Wed 22-May-13 14:46:07

I don't have friends asking for things.

I found when I was pregnant if I ever posted baby item related questions such as "is it a good idea to buy newborn sized baby clothes or should I just buy the 0-3 month size? Advice appreciated" posts of people commented saying don't buy any I have a bag of used ones you can have!

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 22-May-13 14:48:01

One of my friends calls it "asking the universe". Nope, it is begging from your friends.

usualsuspect Wed 22-May-13 14:51:31

I don't mind, I would help any of my fb friends out if I could.

I suppose if you have any old random on your fb it might be different though

lurkedtoolong Wed 22-May-13 14:54:37

Eeek. Was worried this might be about me. Just put up a Facebook status request this morning for Sainsbury's Vouchers for my Brownies...

IneedAyoniNickname Wed 22-May-13 15:03:56

I've posted once or twice asking if anyone can pick the dc up. It can be easier than texting everyone until you get an answer!

If its constantly I can see why it would be annoying though

Bogeyface Wed 22-May-13 15:16:24

Asking for things like the Sainsburys vouchers is fine though, I wouldnt mind passing something like that on to someone who needed them. I had a friend asking for the pyrex vouchers from Tesco and I gave her loads, they didnt cost me anything and I didnt need them.

But I have also had begging statuses which really annoy me mainly because they always come from people who I know for a fact have more disposable income than me! I was asked recently if I would give someone my old baby stuff as "you dont need it anymore" and got a really huffy reply when I said I was planning to sell it but they were more than welcome to make me an offer. Apparently "most people just pass stuff on". Yeah, well most people havent just had to sign on again after their employer doing a bunk and not pay their wages! This reply was sent via a mobile phone while they were on a v expensive holiday!

Raaraathenoisybaby Wed 22-May-13 15:20:49

Bogey yanbu - I was asked for baby stuff to pass on to someone I don't even know and I fell out with the asker about it when I said no. There is a would of difference between that an a generic ask on fb

Bogeyface Wed 22-May-13 15:22:23

This was played out on my wall! I let it stand as I wanted mutual friends to know what she is like!

Lioninthesun Wed 22-May-13 15:25:49

I usually offer things on FB, like our old walker, and if I want a fiver or whatever will put that on there too. I offered our old pram to a friend for £40 (was a BJ and good condition, we just upgraded) and she seemed to be huffy I was asking for any £ at all! I think I would feel weird just accepting such an expensive thing from a friend without offering money, but maybe I am weird!

ilovexmastime Wed 22-May-13 15:31:46

Wouldn't bother me, if I could help and wanted to then I would, but if I couldn't or wouldn't then I'd ignore.

TeWiSavesTheDay Wed 22-May-13 15:46:12

I wouldn't really mind - but people I know don't tend to do this!

I certainly wouldn't mind a generic wanting baby or maternity stuff, you can always offer a price - and loads of our baby stuff has been cycled through the same group of friends. So it benefits me as well! One Moses basket has just been passed on for it's 7th baby.

KellyElly Wed 22-May-13 16:03:42

Saves calling/texting people individually I guess. It's a good way to reach a wide group of people so why not.

SomethingsUp Wed 22-May-13 16:05:31

I ask for help. Because the people on Facebook are my friends. And I am in need.

wickedwitchofwaterloo Wed 22-May-13 18:46:20

I think it's a good way to reach a lot of people if you are in actual need. The specific clothes one is taking the piss a bit though.
I had broken my spare phone and I asked if anyone had an old "half decent" phone I could borrow and a friend gave me his iPhone 4 with a cracked screen!! shock

Gossipmonster Wed 22-May-13 18:46:59

YANBU - it's very down market IMO smile

expatinscotland Wed 22-May-13 18:47:22

I ask if people have certain items to sell.

shockers Wed 22-May-13 20:10:51

I've asked to borrow things... my last request was for an item of fancy dress (most of my requests are for stuff like that). I find that my friends are usually happy to help. I've never asked for anything to keep though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now