Talk

Advanced search

To not take up the exercise referral from the Dr because i have to pay

(43 Posts)
LEMisdisappointed Wed 22-May-13 12:18:00

I am suffering from severe anxiety at the moment, and depression. My doctor has asked if i exercise, which i havent been doing so much at the moment because - this might sound stupid, if i don't have a reason to be doing something, i panic. So i used to go on really long bike rides and really enjoy this but now am worried i will find myself somewhere with no-where really to "go" and have a panic attack. The same for walking and running - but also i had a problem with running as it hurt my hip, which is why i took up the cycling.

The reason my Dr suggested the referral was because i explained this to her and she said that maybe a formalised exercise plan would help and said about the referral scheme. I thought this sounded brilliant and was excited about it.

Now i have received the literature and it turns out it is not free - i dont know why i thought it was blush and i simply cannot afford it, i just can't. I dont work (this is partly due to my anxiety and in fact my dr has told me its too soon to return) and we are broke, especially just now as DP has just taken on a new job which means he wont be paid for a month which is going to put us behind with everything. Once it settles it will be better but anyway, we are struggling. So this would mean that for me to exercise three times a week at the gym/swimming pool it would probably cost me £20 a week, i just don't have the money sad

I feel really disappointed, of course i realise that these things can't be free and im not cross, just disappointed. I feel that maybe i should just make my own training plan up and get my bike out of the shed. I am going to cycle to my counselling session on friday - i cant afford the bus fair but its a lovely cycle through the woods (ten miles) so thats a start.

I feel like a spoilt brat actually - that something has been made available to me and i am not going to take it up.

I have to pay for my counselling £5 a week on a consession, i haven't even told my DP yet - he thinks its free and i have been using my money from when i was working to pay for things but now i have run out, i have no money at all. I have a real issue about asking him for money (it is totally me, not him, he would give me his last penny) for things, i even tried to use my work money for shopping etc, to contribute.

I might ring them anyway, see if they are willing to come up wiht some sort of cycling/running (if my hip doesn't play up) routine - i really wanted to try swimming but to be honest, i can't swim very well and end up going up and down the pool breast stroke which i could do all day long anyway and not get anywere.

I need to loose weight too but i have never really been bothered about my weight, i wish i was, then i would have a goal, if that makes sense.

Arse - i dont know why i am writing this, i just feel disappointed

<prepares to be flammed for being a lazy scrounger>

HeySoulSister Wed 22-May-13 12:21:26

hmm I can see you are a bit stuck!

does the gym/pool not have a concession price?

preparefortakeoff Wed 22-May-13 12:25:14

Can you check with your GP/leisure centre whether you definitely have to pay? I have had exercise on referral from my GP and it was free for six months. £20 a week would have been impossible for me.

You should also speak to your counsellor about the concession price - I have had free counselling before and I wasn't so poor that I couldn't afford bus fares! They tend to work on discretionary policies so if you let them know how hard it is for you, they may do a fee waiver, even if their policy doesn't state this.

LEMisdisappointed Wed 22-May-13 12:26:40

They do yes, but we don't qualify for it, we are in receipt of tax credits just now, but will probably not be entitlted to them for much longer.I need to ring them and inform them that DP has got a better paid job, the problem with that is that DP is self employed so they base your entitlement on the year before so whilst we are still legally entitled because last year was so dire, i suspect we were underpaid, i don't want to have pay back an overpayment - its so bloody complicated!

I am going to ring them and see what they say - DP would probably say go for it, but i feel that unless i can make the commitment to worthwhile sessions then im wasting my time.

The doctor also put obesity down as a reason (the cow grin) and whilst i am overwieght obese thise is not the reason i want to do it, i am actually surprisingly fit for my size and dont want to have to pay to walk on a treadmill for ten minutes if that makes sense!

Wishiwasanheiress Wed 22-May-13 12:26:45

I have no experience of anxiety. I really can't help you there. I do notice though you said you can't cycle etc because you might end up somewhere random and have a panic attack - ok I get that.

But you won't swim either because you can go for ages and not get anywhere - EH?? Surely that's better? Your in the one spot so 'safe'?

Tbh you seem to not want to do anything. You do know that exercise helps the brain as much as the body so might help your other issues.

Essentially I think yabu, but kinda see why a bit.

SirBoobAlot Wed 22-May-13 12:27:27

You don't sound like a spoiled brat at all. I'd call your GP back and question it - you were told one thing, and now this is something entirely different.

I'd also speak to the GP and getting a referral for counselling, as there are ways of accessing treatment for free.

Anxiety and depression is a bitch.

WilsonFrickett Wed 22-May-13 12:27:49

It really, really sucks that when exercise can help so many people to feel better about themselves and get back into the job market, that it costs so much money. So no flaming here!

As Soul says, it's always worth phoning up to see if there is a concessionary rate.

But you must keep going with your counselling, so I think you need to bit the bullet and talk to DP about that. And keep trying to use your bike. If you are anxious about destinations, why not make one up? For eg, if you need a pint of milk, of course you could walk to the corner shop, but actually wouldn't it be better to cycle to another shop x miles away? Then you'll have a destination and a good long cycle.

Good luck.

gruffalocake Wed 22-May-13 12:28:21

Could you look into an exercise app. I am doing couch to 5 k which tells you what to do every few minutes. Sets goals etc for you. Maybe see if there is something similar for cycling or walking or routines to do at home?

Wishiwasanheiress Wed 22-May-13 12:28:46

Walk outside for ten mins? It's free.... Just go round the block?

CAF275 Wed 22-May-13 12:29:09

£20 per week sounds a bit steep tbh. Are there other gyms in your area? I pay £25 per month which includes unlimited pool, gym and classes during off-peak hours.

LEMisdisappointed Wed 22-May-13 12:29:19

prepare - they are already doing it at a consessionary rate, it should be at least £10. i get so stressed about money - when i worked (which is what made me ill - long story) i was so obsessed i wouldnt spend it, it lasted a while after i left but now its all gone. I never buy anything for myself.

I am going to ring them though, see what they can offer - i hate HATE having to go cap in hand, especially as i feel there are people worse off than I am and more deserving - but if i don't do this, then im just putting anotehr obstacle in my way for recovery aren't i?

newgirl Wed 22-May-13 12:29:54

Would you enjoy walking? Just being outside can really lift your spirits and adding in some brisk uphills is exercise?

megsmouse Wed 22-May-13 12:30:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

megsmouse Wed 22-May-13 12:33:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsMook Wed 22-May-13 12:33:18

where are the excercise sessions held? Our council leisure centres have a monthly membership of about £25 for the month with full access. £20 a week is the league of normal prices at private gyms.

Can you draw up your own plan with goals to meet doing free things like walking and cycling?

LEMisdisappointed Wed 22-May-13 12:34:19

Wishiwasanheiress - I do want to do something, i really do - that is not what i meant by the swimming, i mean, i don't feel, becuause i dont do it properly, that i get any exercise value from it, i would burn more calories (Be less bored!) if i went for a walk, which i do, lots - and see, your comment there about walking outside for ten minutes - This is what worries me, because im a big girl, i don't want to be given some light exercise, i want to be challenged, i can, and do walk for miles - i used to walk home from my voluntary job if i couldnt afford the bus fair, before i had my bike, ten miles, two hours - not even get out of breath.

I need to get my finger out of my arse an ring them and THEN whinge about the cost - CAF i was basing that on individual exercises.

LEMisdisappointed Wed 22-May-13 12:35:37

megs, i do this already - i built the school garden and help run the gardening club, didnt think of htat as exercise blush

LEMisdisappointed Wed 22-May-13 12:36:15

oh and megs, housework? wash your mouth out wink

LittleprincessinGOLDrocks Wed 22-May-13 12:38:32

LEM - why do you have to pay for counselling? Genuine question. I had 8 weeks of counselling recently and it was free, so just wondering.

I think if you can't afford to do the training scheme then that is fair enough, and I am sure if you explain that to your GP they will understand. I myself was advised by my GP to try going swimming and joining a gym to help with my back pain and my depression. I calmly explained that since I was no longer earning it was not an option. He was really understanding and talked me through things I could do for free, and had only suggested swimming as I had mentioned in the past I was an avid swimmer.
He hadn't even mentioned walking as he hates doing that himself and would rather go to the gym.

What I think I would do is to discuss your fears about the panic attacks occurring whilst out with your counsellor. My counsellor helped me so much with facing my fear of leaving the house (I would only go out with a responsible adult - I know that sounds silly). I can now manage a short trip out alone, which I know others would find stupid, but hey that's how bad my depression got and that tiny step is in the right direction.
It maybe that you would benefit from some CBT - Cognative Behavioural Therapy. This may help you put a plan in to place that will help you work through your fears and have a "safety net" as such. My counsellor helped me with some suggestions that helped me feel safer about leaving the house - some things which may help you too.

I think setting your self goals is good too. Why not start by choosing a destination you wish to go to - like a café or a garden centre or a friends house. Chose a specific date to go by bike, and chose a route. Then show your DH where you will be going and at what time and agree to text when you have arrived at your destination. That way you have the safety net of someone knowing where you are at all times and if your hubby has the phone to hand for the time of your journey you also have someone you can ring for help IF you need it.
And remember little achievements build confidence. Good Luck!

EasilyBored Wed 22-May-13 12:38:37

Could you join up to do something like a sponsored cycle (there are a few ones like the Bupa one) to give yourself a target, and then use something like MapMyRun (but you can put cycling instead of running in) and make a training plan like that? That might help you feel a bit more like there is something specific to achieve. Or get a cheap pedometer and try and make sure you are getting your 1000 steps each day? You don't sound spoiled at all, some local authorities offer discounted schemes if you are certain benefits (not just tax credits) so might be worth investigating the criteria for those schemes?

Ragwort Wed 22-May-13 12:39:16

Can you get a book from the library with suggested exercise routines, or google something? I have seen lots of routines over the years in magazines etc. You could print your own out and follow it and maybe make little challenges for yourself? I know its not quite the same but it might help? Also some councils do free walks or park runs, that sort of thing.

Phineyj Wed 22-May-13 12:41:25

Find a nice bike club? Ask in local bike shops for suggestions.

LEMisdisappointed Wed 22-May-13 12:44:37

Littleprincess, its just cost - the demands on the counselling services around here are high, (well anywhere i imagine) and it couldnt sustain on free counselling, i used to get it free - but now it needs to be paid for sad

Am just building myself up to give them a call then will take my dogs out!

TantrumsAndBalloons Wed 22-May-13 12:45:07

can you plan out the route you are going to cycle, so you have a finishing point, somewhere to go IYSWIM?
and then maybe set yourself a weekly goal, to increase the distance by x miles?

Would that seem as though you have a place to go and a goal to achieve?

LEMisdisappointed Wed 22-May-13 12:46:16

Am liking the idea of mapmyrun - when i was at university i used to use the gym, they had a thing where you would log your treadmill miles on a map - i got from landsend to, well, um,. the next town grin But it was fun.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: