Talk

Advanced search

To not fly home with DS as he has chicken pox!!

(19 Posts)
Figgygal Wed 22-May-13 09:41:31

Supposed to be on a flight home tonight after visiting my parents in Scotland but DS has the pox (awful timing or what!!!!)

Started with 2 spots on his face on Sunday he got another 1 on his knee and the rash came up Monday and is all over his bum and legs, some on 1 arm but apart from the rash no more spots in 48hrs the spots have crusted.

I spoke to airline Monday and they said spots had to have crusted before he could fly and because they have my dad seems to want me to get on the Plane (don't blame him DS been a nightmare not sleeping and waking everyone up though think that due to new bed/surroundings not the pox) as does dh who doesn't want to have to leave us here for god knows how long before we ok to travel.

I'm debating myself but if a child/pg lady/elderly person was on flight would feel terrible there was a risk. I'm not due back to work until Tuesday due to the bh but if I stay earliest flight back I can get is Wednesday driving sooner not an option as 500+ miles, 10hr drive would need hire car etc.

Do I stick to my guns and stay put And give mum more time with DS or AIBU??

Bloody pox angry

Emsmaman Wed 22-May-13 09:44:48

You'll have to stay put I'm afraid.

Wolfiefan Wed 22-May-13 09:46:32

You say the spots HAVE crusted? So you are ok to fly. Confused.

Cies Wed 22-May-13 09:49:58

you won't be allowed on the flight anyway, so the decision has been made for you.

Take a doctor's note for when you do fly. (speaks from bitter experience of nearly being denied boarding even though spots had all dried up).

Sparkleandshine Wed 22-May-13 09:52:17

The airline won't let you fly. And when pregnant with DS stood in an airline queue while someone tried to check in a poxy child, after a few minutes of 'debate' whining that said child was fit to fly and she would "keep him away from pregnant women" despite the pox the check in lady got very very cross and said "look behind you for gods sake and get out of the airport" grin never seen someone look so embarrassed, practically ran out of the terminal.

Could you hire a car and drive back?

Omnishambolic Wed 22-May-13 09:52:30

You say they've crusted over - if that's the case there's no risk to others anymore.

Figgygal Wed 22-May-13 09:52:54

I think my worry is he only has 3 or 4 big spots which have crusted but he has lots of little ones as the rash they MIGHT come out properly or they MIGHT not if I stay here incurring the cost of a new flight and having to take unpaid time off work and he doesn't get any worse ill be miffed because as he is I think he could go but depends if the rash is considered "spots" or not.

Emsmaman Wed 22-May-13 09:54:45

Well my DD was excluded from nursery for 7 days for chicken pox and my GP said she shouldn't be around other children until 5 days after spots have crusted so that is why I think you shouldn't be flying.

Apart from that, if you were poorly, would you want to stay put to get better or be dragged through airports and fly on a plane?

LIZS Wed 22-May-13 09:54:55

Delay your return.

Exhaustipated Wed 22-May-13 09:59:19

Yup you'll have to stay. Planes are very enclosed environments (obvs!) so YWBU to fly at this stage in his illness and put others at risk.

ilovepowerhoop Wed 22-May-13 10:16:12

health protection agency says 5 days from onset of rash so you shouldnt fly tonight as you are still within that period.

DontMeanToBeRudeBut Wed 22-May-13 11:33:28

The cost of the flight should be covered by travel insurance if you have it.

ProudAS Wed 22-May-13 12:07:32

We've got conflicting information here as to how long CP is infectious for. The airline say he's OK to fly but you don't want to be turned away at check in or put a vulnerable passenger in danger.

How about seeing if you can come back by train/national express at the weekend as that will be over the five days and allow you to be back in time for work.

Also you might want to think about contacting your parents' GP for a letter stating that DS is fit to travel just in case anyone is funny about the scabs. If GP and airline both say OK then fly home tonight as planned.

cory Wed 22-May-13 12:16:26

Can you get a doctor there to confirm that he is still infectious, for the benefit of the insurance company?

I had this happen one Christmas and the British insurance company were sweet: they kept ringing up to check that I was ok, all stranded with a sick child in a foreign country. I felt a bit embarrassed as I was actually in my own country, speaking my own language, staying with my relatives and eating the Christmas leftovers.

Fresh01 Wed 22-May-13 12:39:48

I had 2 with chicken pox over Easter holidays. I noticed that the spots gained and peaked around day 3/4, so based on him starting to get spots on sun no if I were you I would fly today.

Could you get bus/train home at weekend with DH taking the bigger bags on the plane today. DS might see that as an adventure on the way home.

MyDarlingClementine Wed 22-May-13 12:40:37

These threads amaze me, Its great you are asking and not just doing as lots would, but its not a matter open for debate really and its not your fault you don't realise this.

HCP should be ramming this home.
Its not open to debate when Dc have CP you simply have to stay put!

Fresh01 Wed 22-May-13 12:44:41

Sorry that was meant to say wouldn't fly today!

Chicken pox is a nuisance for you but potentially much more serious for others.

Bramshott Wed 22-May-13 12:49:45

Actually I think the OP was asking because the airline said that the spots had to be crusted over, and ALL THE SPOTS HER DS HAS ARE CRUSTED OVER.

But in answer to your query OP - it's probably pretty unlikely that he won't get any more spots, and it's safest to leave it 5 days from the first outbreak even if they are crusted.

ilovepowerhoop Wed 22-May-13 14:01:24

Th OP says 3 or 4 spots have crusted but that he also has a rash which may also be CP which has not scabbed over. I would say he is still infectious and would wait at least 5 days after the rash came out (as per HPA guidance) before flying home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now