Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet App: delete or wait --til hell freezes over-- or it's fixed?

(21 Posts)
Caoilainn Tue 21-May-13 22:12:40

Seen numerous threads in site stuff over mumsnet app, but answers tend to be thats tech is looking into it but not with an actual fix date. I've said about problems with the app on a thread with no reply.

So on app you can't: highlight the op or mn towers
Decide how many posts per page
Can't always bookmark
If you type a message in app the switch to app then data is lost.
It refreshes pages multiple times

My biggest bugbear is that if you click on a link, anyone including the Mumsnet ones, they open (safari on an iPad) and connect to the Internet site! In that case why would anyone use the app?? sad

In theory I don't mind waiting for a fix, in practice I would like an ETA!

Is anyone else having app issues? Am I being unreasonable to delete the app from my phone and ipad til Mumsnet declare that tech has fixed the bugs and the app is user friendly? hmm

EatenByZombies Wed 22-May-13 00:22:41

I have the app, too, and it's annoying not being able to highlight OP and stuff. It also annoys me that I have to flip every thread to get the posts in date order as opposed to newest first (thought that might just be me being a twerp and not finding the setting grin )

It depends really, YANBU to delete the app if you never use it/it slows your phone/ipad/it crashes etc, but seeing as the bugs may never be fixed, you could say YABU to delete it until such time.

Then again, it's an app and I don't think anyone can really say YABU for deleting it because.. it's an app.. smile

caroldecker Wed 22-May-13 00:41:09

try posting on site stuff

ScrambledSmegs Wed 22-May-13 00:43:12

Delete it. It's shite and the smileys are terrifying.

AndBingoWasHisNameOh Wed 22-May-13 01:54:33

I don't both with the app anymore

BabeRuthless Wed 22-May-13 06:20:56

I use the app but it has a really irritating bug where if I look at topics I'm on and then go straight back to the main page it crashes. Every time. I would love page numbers too, apart from that I like it.

QuackQuackChicken Wed 22-May-13 06:27:52

I use the app but find it v bugging. Often titles from the same threads repeat themselves in the active topics list. And it would be really great if you could bookmark an actual post in a long thread so you could return to where you got up to. YANBU.

pollywollydoodle Wed 22-May-13 06:45:32

it's a pain not to be able to :

-unwatch posts (even if i unwatch them on the desktop , they remain on the android app)

-bookmark posts

-colour your own/OPs posts

pollywollydoodle Wed 22-May-13 06:48:48

sorry, sent too soon
it does crash once or twice a day but it's better than linking via the net on the phone so i use it

Tee2072 Wed 22-May-13 06:49:05

Just don't use it, use the mobile site.

Perhaps if enough people stop using it, they'll fix it.

AgentProvocateur Wed 22-May-13 06:50:34

The app is shite. Use the mobile site, then create an icon for your phone. It's just like an app then, but better.

TheDeadlyDonkey Wed 22-May-13 07:07:53

The mobile site is much better.
I keep forgetting how crap the app is and downloading it, then deleting it again within 5 minutes.
I can't work out why anyone would use it in the first place confused

usualsuspect Wed 22-May-13 07:43:35

I use the mobile site.

MalcolmTuckersMum Wed 22-May-13 07:51:07

I also only use the mobile site. Tried the app once - lasted five whole minutes. Ghastly stuff.

EskSmith Wed 22-May-13 09:38:18

I'm on android, tried the app several times but it is always inferior to the mobile site.

Delete it!!

TooTabooToBoo Wed 22-May-13 09:47:44

I use android mobile app, I don't have any problems with it crashing at all.

There's a glitch with sticky threads at the moment (current thread in Site Stuff) but other than that I find it more useable than the mobile site.

O
My bug bears are, the OP subsequent comments and my comments not being highlighted and not being able to link. Linking may be my ineptness or my phone being shite (HTC Wildfire - worst phone on the planet!)

valiumredhead Wed 22-May-13 11:30:46

Not being able to bookmark annoys me other than that it's not bad really, but having to scroll down the page endlessly on a long thread drives me bat shit.

valiumredhead Wed 22-May-13 11:31:29

I seem to be able to post better from the app rather than the mobile site.

valiumredhead Wed 22-May-13 11:31:45

Better = easier

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 22-May-13 11:34:50

Hello. And we are so, so sorry about all this.

We know the app is, erm, less than perfect in its current form. And, though it may not look like it, we're are working ridiculously hard on trying to get it improved.

Unfortunately, some of the work involves outside agencies and we're having some issues moving that work on as fast as we'd like. We are jumping up and down in a very scary way, though, we promise you!

But, straight up, we can't give you an ETA right now. If that changes, we'll let you know ASAP.

In the meantime, you might well be better off leaving the app alone and using the mobile version of the site - which is much more glitch-free.

QuackQuackChicken Wed 22-May-13 19:34:24

Thanks for the update Helen, glad something's happening even if it is very slowly!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now