Talk

Advanced search

to think that if you are a 36G+ in bra size

(114 Posts)
Maryz Tue 21-May-13 21:46:06

you don't want a push-up bikini?

I mean ffs, the only underwired bikini tops I could find in Marks and Spencer today were push-up types. There were loads of them. And you should see the size of cup that is needed for a 36G bra size when they add in two inches or more of push-up padding. It looked like a double shopping bag.

I am not small of nork (or of body, tbh). I haven't worn a bikini in years, but was contemplating getting one for my upcoming long-awaited holiday. But I think I'll give up angry

FatimaLovesBread Tue 21-May-13 21:49:06

YANBU
It really pisses me off when I see nice bras or bikinis in my size and they've got a massive fuck off wedge of foam in them

Maryz Tue 21-May-13 21:51:10

I honestly don't understand it.

I mean, how on earth do they sell? Do people spend hours cutting out the padding (actually on one of the M&S reviews, someone obviously had).

The only non-push-up ones they had in the whole shop were bandeau style with very thin halter straps and no support whatsoever.

And only up to a D-cup.

space21 Tue 21-May-13 21:51:25

I'm a 32J....
Don't bother with m&s - go straight to bravissimo. They have some lovely bikinis and swimsuits.

TheDetective Tue 21-May-13 21:52:07

I want mine pushed up. They are far to, um, south for my liking.

But I will never wear a bikini again. But a bra... yeah, I'll have a push up thanks!

Umlauf Tue 21-May-13 21:53:16

Yabu to confuse push up with padded.

Yanbu to be frustrated there is so much padding in larger sized bikinis.

Push up is about shape and lift and looking perkier. People of all sizes want that, and no matter how big you are a lifted bosom is better than a saggy one.

Padding is about looking bigger, often larger cupped people would rather not look bigger.

And Yabu to be looking for sedentary supportive swimwear in big sizes in m&s! grin try panache, Fantasie, cleo, mis Mandalay...

Umlauf Tue 21-May-13 21:53:37

Decent, not sedentary!!

KittensoftPuppydog Tue 21-May-13 21:53:40

I bloody hate underwired bras. Why are there so few without bloody bits of metal in them.
My neighbour had a nasty accident with an underwire bra.

Maryz Tue 21-May-13 21:53:46

I'm in Ireland space, and sadly, bravissimo aren't. I'm beginning to think a trip to the UK might be worthwhile. It's taken me a month of trying every shop in Dublin to get bras to fit, finally, after 50 years of the wrong size and thanks to the lovely bra-intervention folk on here.

And now I'm starting again with swimming togs [sigh]

SomewhereBeyondTheSea Tue 21-May-13 21:55:00

I've got big tits (I hate them, tbh) and M&S drive me wild with their awful, awful bras and swimwear. I would pay good money for half an hour in a locked room with their designers. Why oh why oh why oh why FFS !
I swear they didn't used to be this bad.

(I wear Freya btw.)

Yup, M&S are just utterly shit when it comes to anything bra-related. I'd be tempted by an online order - unless Debenhams in Dublin have any? The ones here tend to stock Freya bikinis IIRC. If not, Brastop often have free worldwide delivery.

Maryz Tue 21-May-13 21:58:00

Umlauf, these are push-up and padded. Really they are. The have a hunk of padding in the bottom of the cup that would rival a decent pair of boobs for size.

And the bigger the cup, the bigger the padding in the bottom of, iyswim. I reckon they were designed by a computer not a person, in that there was about 10 times more padding in the G cup than the B cup.

space21 Tue 21-May-13 21:58:39

Maryz I'm in France and buy online. Only downside is you have to pay for return postage for stuff you don't want. Failing that have you got an independent lingerie shop near you? Also usually very helpful if pricey.

LarvalFormOfOddSock Tue 21-May-13 21:59:19

YANBU. But, just to add, I'm a 36 A and the range for less endowed ladies is just as shite. I think they just make ugly, unflattering bikinis!

Maryz Tue 21-May-13 21:59:58

I'm afraid to order online, because of the postage cost of returning them to the UK.

Debenhams Ireland website looks ok, but there is never anything in store to try.

LimeLeaffLizard Tue 21-May-13 22:00:11

Bravissimo do mail order and they are pretty good about returns - I have returned / exchanged things several times. You just print a free returns label off the internet.

It is worth a trip to a store to be fitted in the first place though.

LimeLeaffLizard Tue 21-May-13 22:01:10

oh sorry x post I didn't realise you had to pay for postage from other countries. Makes sense I suppose.

McNewPants2013 Tue 21-May-13 22:01:59

Thanks to Bravissimo I have not had a back pain in over 5 weeks, I am a 36f so good bras are few and far between.

Maryz Tue 21-May-13 22:02:37

space, I think with the price of postage in Ireland and the quantity I would end up buying, a ryanair flight to London is looking good value atm grin

I sympathise Larval. dd has lovely boobs envy - she is a 32DD or E (according to the lovely bra interventionists - she was measured as 36C in M&S hmm) and she looks great in all the bandau and halterneck types. Though I probably looked great when I was 16 [sigh]

Darkesteyes Tue 21-May-13 22:03:11

I used to be a 46G Went down to a 34F after losing ten stone.
Am currently a 38 K (though i was measured two months ago and bra is loosening because im trying to lose weight) I dont get this either. Ive never bought a padded bra. Or a push up one. It would drive me nuts. I need a fucking engineering degree to put a bra on as it is.

Larval, I hope you don't think I am rude asking this but, are you sure you are a 36A? I don't know if you have seen any of the bra intervention threads but most women who have thought they are (and previously been fitted at!) a 36A actually aren't. If you've been fitted at most big retailers or followed pretty much any online size chart there is a fair chance it's wrong.

custardismyhamster Tue 21-May-13 22:05:34

I've nearly cancelled my holiday because I couldn't get bikinis (I'm a 36GG) I went to Boux Avenue. Two bikinis in pretty prints for 80 quid-appreciate that's not cheap but it's cheaper than 35-45 for just the top in bravissimo!

Maryz Tue 21-May-13 22:05:43

Actually, I might stop moaning and post in S&B for suggestions as to brands to try, and then see if Debenhams or House of Frazer do those brands. That's how I (finally) got bras to fit me.

Debenhams here do seem to have a couple of Freya tops Statistically - I will start there I think. Thanks.

Maryz Tue 21-May-13 22:07:28

But it's €59 euro. For the top <weeps>

The bikini will cost more than the airfare to France.

Darkesteyes Tue 21-May-13 22:08:32

Best bra i ever had was the sports bra i had five years ago. It was so good on support i sometimes wore it when i wasnt excersising.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now