Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be fed up with make up girl on train?

(238 Posts)
Finola1step Tue 21-May-13 17:48:37

I commute in and out of London daily. I am now very used to seeing women every morning applying a full face on their way to work. I don't do this myself as I like to do my prep in privacy at home.

But.. I am sat next to a young woman with a caked on face who has whipped out the baby wipes. She has wiped off all the make up (before wiping her face on her jumper the dirty moo!) and is now reapplying. The whole lot! With dirty hands! Why?

What do I not get here? Would I be unreasonable to ask her why she thinks this is ok? Am I being a judgey old cow?

LastTangoInDevonshire Tue 21-May-13 17:52:42

I used to put my make up on when on the train commuting to London - that was 40 years ago !!

Ooooooh see them bowler hats rise up with indignation, but I didn't care because the world revolved around me at that age and sod everyone else (in the nicest possible way of course)!

I expect that is how she feeds tbh ^^ !!

Finola1step Tue 21-May-13 17:59:22

Tango I'm sure you are right. Many women do it in the morning, saving time etc. But this is on the way home. I think it's the removal of the full face and then the full re application with mucky hands. Turns my stomach.

She's still at it. Her make up bag is filthy too.

Decoy Tue 21-May-13 18:04:03

Yeuch.

TSSDNCOP Tue 21-May-13 18:07:54

I never understand why people get their JP's wedged up their arse about applying make up on the train. It's an excellent use of dead time.

However your description of the wipes/jumper cleansing method made me feel a little quesy.

EverythingInMjiniature Tue 21-May-13 18:08:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

crashdoll Tue 21-May-13 18:10:53

I don't like seeing people apply make-up on trains which really offends some of the make-up appliers on here. It's personal grooming, do it elsewhere!

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Tue 21-May-13 18:14:33

I'll admit that I don't know a lot about this, since I wear make up so rarely that a bottle of foundation can last me ten years, but why is it gross?

It's only painting your face.

I could understand it being something that makes people feel ill if it was whipping down your knickers, spreading yourself over seven seats and giving yourself a hollywood or something, but it's just smearing some paint on your face.

It just doesn't strike me as a particularly private or personal thing.

Finola1step Tue 21-May-13 18:22:00

Her hands are dirty in a working all day, got newspaper print on them kind of way. It's not the applying as such. She had a full face on. She wiped it all off, then wiped her face with her jumper. Then reapplied. She now looks the same as when she got on the train. And all with mucky hands

It may not be the crime if the century but it has made me feel a bit ick.

Nanny0gg Tue 21-May-13 18:25:16

It's personal grooming, do it elsewhere!

This.

raisah Tue 21-May-13 19:29:52

Is she getting ready for a night out & didnt wash her face in the loos at work?

I sometimes do my face on the overground train into London. I normally sit on the window side of a 2 seater so its relatively private. I am not brave enough to do it in full view on the tube though.

Finola1step Tue 21-May-13 20:14:54

I suppose she could be going out. Not discrete. Sitting at a table for four. Lots of awkward glances between myself and other two passengers. Did smile though at her constant preening using the camera option on her iPhone.

stainesmassif Tue 21-May-13 20:18:35

I saw a lady doing her face on the way into work one morning catch a sneeze IN HER HAND AND CONTINUE APPLYING FOUNDATION. How would you have felt then hmm hey?!

HazeltheMcWitch Tue 21-May-13 20:19:27

But she's used a baby wipe on her face, so presumably has cleaned her hands too? And she's poss only giving her face a quick dab dry on her top. Unwedge your pants of judgement!

I'm a makeup applier on trains - in the morning, I don't give a crap by home time. The feelings against makeup appliers do make me laugh.

ChasingStaplers Tue 21-May-13 20:20:03

I am always impressed that they manage to do a good job.

The one (and only) time I tried I ended up with red 24 hour colourstay lipstick smeared above my top lip and poked myself in the eye with my eyeliner at least twice (was also wobbly and uneven!)

namechangeofshame Tue 21-May-13 20:20:30

Ok she sounds gross but tbh I think being bothered by makeup on the train is odd, it's not really personal is it? Not like having a wee exactly!

I do it, I set off at such a stupid hour in the morning and get home so Iate I would prefer to spend the time saved with my children in bed.

myfirstkitchen Tue 21-May-13 20:21:49

Foundation + sneeze is repulsive.
I don't like doing my make up on the train but would pick sitting next to a make up applier over a nail clipper nose picker leg spreader ball bag player any day.

everlong Tue 21-May-13 20:22:12

I wouldn't do it.
But I wouldn't bat an eye lid if someone else did in fact I think I'd quite like to nosy at them!

usualsuspect Tue 21-May-13 20:22:48

Does it matter, really?

She wasn't wiping her make up all over you was she?

Jeez, the things people moan about on here.

TheOrchardKeeper Tue 21-May-13 20:24:29

The jumper thing is a bit ew but why do people give a shit what other people do with their faces? It's not like she was picking her nose and flicking it at you or flicking nail clippings at you. THAT would be case of personal grooming that should be done elsewhere. Not bloody make up?

Haven't you got a book to read? Newspaper? Stare out the window?

I genuinely don't get it...?

Cravingdairy Tue 21-May-13 20:25:19

Get a Kindle?

TheOrchardKeeper Tue 21-May-13 20:25:38

Sorry if that sounds bitchy but I wasn't aware people cared!

It's just such a Non-issue...

Finola1step Tue 21-May-13 20:29:16

No not bitchy. I was just bored on the train.

Hashtagwhatever Tue 21-May-13 20:31:16

This is a pet peev of mine.

I wear shit loads of make up. But I hate seeing people applying it in public.

Floggingmolly Tue 21-May-13 20:36:32

If she was using baby wipes on her face, her hands can't have been that filthy, can they?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now