Talk

Advanced search

to not budge

(39 Posts)
flowerandrandd Tue 21-May-13 17:08:43

trivial but dds (4&5) are currently packing their bags to go the nannys house because their dinner apparently looked like sick... it was a carbonara made from scratch which was yummy.. nanny feeds them chicken nuggets blah blah blah....

the 4 year old is most vocal in the plot... im sitting on the sofa drinking wine fighting the urge to make them some toast !

SPsCliffingAllOverMN Tue 21-May-13 17:10:11

Leave the door open for them and let Nanny know they are on their way

flowerandrandd Tue 21-May-13 17:11:23

dont tempt me... dd2 has just come down the stairs and muttered 'that i only think about himeself!' where do they get it from!

thebody Tue 21-May-13 17:13:10

Oh yes, do them toast and finish the wine.

Loving this post.

LittleprincessinGOLDrocks Tue 21-May-13 17:13:50

I have been there, when DD was 4 (it was not food related in my case, but Granny gives her sweeties every time she asks and I had said no on this occasion).
I stayed strong and let her pack her bags. She got to the door, and asked me to drive her to granny's house. I said no, if you are big enough to move out you get there by yourself.
She then realised she couldn't unlock the door or drive.
So she then went for a sulk on the step.
5 minutes later she was hugging me saying sorry.

Stay strong!

SPsCliffingAllOverMN Tue 21-May-13 17:14:01

grin

I have no idea. i have a 3 year old and he packs his bag at least once a week to go live with his nanna

flowerandrandd Tue 21-May-13 17:14:32

dont tell me to give in!!! i'm just about holding it together, wellies have been taken from the porch and put in bags grin wonder if they will remember their toothbrush? hmm

SPsCliffingAllOverMN Tue 21-May-13 17:23:54

Dont give in!

GoodbyePorkPie Tue 21-May-13 17:25:35

"She then realised she couldn't unlock the door or drive."

This is all ahead of me. I can't wait!

SPsCliffingAllOverMN Tue 21-May-13 17:27:45

My son sits on the step with a bag packed saying how he's waiting for a good mum because I'm a bad one. I tell him he will be waiting a while and go eat my chocolate from the stash while I can.

In his bag is usually cars, couple of pairs of underpants, a t-shirt, a tractor, a book and crayons.

LittleprincessinGOLDrocks Tue 21-May-13 17:30:29

Afraid so GoodbyePorkpie!
I have a DS who is approaching this age... the joys of parent hood I guess lol.

Donnadoon Tue 21-May-13 17:31:19

Awwwww ^ All your kids are so cute!

fuzzywuzzy Tue 21-May-13 17:35:31

Send them to your mums.

It annoys the heck out of me that my mum & dad go running to the shops with my two & buy them all sorts of crap, my mother once called me to tell me dd2 had seemed a little out of sorts & not eaten her dinner.....but not to worry she'd managed an entire packet of Jaffa cakes so the poor darling wouldn't starve.
Well of course mother, if your offering a three year old Jaffa cakes she's not going to bother with dinner! (Never remember being indulged like that when I was a kid!).

TheOneWithTheHair Tue 21-May-13 17:39:58

Ds1 (17), dd (9) and ds2 (4) all still want to live at home forever. I'd love it if one of them went to live at Granny's house!
She fills them with sweets and oven food too.

CharlieUniformNovemberTango Tue 21-May-13 17:46:45

My sister used to live on a house backing onto ours with her DC. I'd regularly answer the back door to my niece, bag and all, saying she was coming to live with us because we had biscuits grin

DD never did this with me but we lived 500 miles from family so she probably knew it wouldn't work!

durbanmummy Tue 21-May-13 17:56:12

Thats one of the beauties about living in a different country - they have nowhere to run!!!

captainmummy Tue 21-May-13 18:03:10

My ds2 used to do this - he's walk out the door, and pop offf down the road, looking behind him all the way! He'd get to about 4 doors down (i used to watch from the front wndow) and sit on the wall until i went to get him.
My mum fills them up with sweeties too - those really sticky ones like opal fruits, that stick to their teeth and rot them. She'd fill their pockets.sad

captainmummy Tue 21-May-13 18:03:34

Oh and we had carbonara tonight too!

glenthebattleostrich Tue 21-May-13 18:07:00

Ooh can I come and have their carbonara? I can bring wine and haribo

DD (only just 3) tells me to go sit on the naughty spot when I tell her off because telling her off is being unkind smile

Pixel Tue 21-May-13 18:08:29

My sister and I never did this but our Nan did! If she considered we'd been very naughty she would come downstairs with her suitcase and tell us she couldn't live with our behaviour any more and was leaving (Nan lived with us, to clarify). My sister would cry and beg but I was very stubborn blush. Sometimes she'd call the children's home and ask them to send a car to collect us. Found out later it was the speaking clock. But I'm not scarred for life <twitch>.

Never had to deal with dcs threatening to leave either, but I agree you have to stay strong (and try not to laugh when they can hear you grin). Not sure I could resist the urge to wind them up a bit, eg ask if there's anything they need for the journey, I think I must have inherited a slight cruel streak <strokes cat menacingly>.

RememberingMyPFEs Tue 21-May-13 18:18:13

Oh my, I'm dreading this!
I ran away once age c6yo and Mum caught up with me. Conversation went like this (I remember every single detail):
Me: I don't want you as my mum so I'm leaving
Mum: can I have my clothes back then?
Me: what!??
Mum: if I'm not your mum you can leave naked, like you arrived. Give me your bag and strip. Now.
Me: silence but turn around and trudge home.

Scarred for life at the lack of compassion. How do you strike the right balance?!?

INeedtoDrinkLess Tue 21-May-13 18:26:26

I once told.my mum I was going to ring the nspcc about her. she passed me the phone book. grin.

Inertia Tue 21-May-13 18:30:39

DD1 packed her bag to leave home once. No food or clean clothes but she did pack her teddy and a large encyclopaedia.

DD2 used to tell me that she wanted her real mummy back if she was ever told off for anything.

BlueberryHill Tue 21-May-13 18:41:04

DS1 used to want to send DH and I to prison if we told him off / made him tidy his room. We both said, great, at least it will be quiet and peaceful.

Ah, this is a nice AIBU thread?

How is it going OP?

EggsMichelle Tue 21-May-13 19:04:23

I'm trying to feed my 5m DS to sleep but keep chuckling and disturbing him! I remember trying to run away and packing everything I needed into my lunch box!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now