Talk

Advanced search

To frisbee DS' dinner out the back door?!

(15 Posts)
DorisShutt Tue 21-May-13 17:08:38

Not really, but it's what I want to do with it!

DS (2.7) asked for pasta bake for tea (aka macaroni cheese with ham and onion in it). I agreed and he helped me make it.

We sat down at the table to eat (I have a small amount with him and then the remainder later with DH) and DS announced that he didn't want any.

He was made to wait until I'd finished mine (and did so) but he still won't touch it even to try it. He is however asking for pudding - which he won't get until he has at least tasted dinner.

Kids!!! Food!!! Argh!!! angry

polkadotsrock Tue 21-May-13 17:09:46

Well at least you're not threatening to frisbee him, there's hope for the day yet ;)

phantomhairpuller Tue 21-May-13 17:13:59

My DB used to do this a lot. DM lost it one night and broke the plate over his head [disclaimer: the plate was plastic] he never did it again wink

DorisShutt Tue 21-May-13 17:16:44

I honestly have no clue what to do with him sometimes hmm

Usually, he is quite resistant to food, but get him to taste it and he will then tell me it's yummy and eat it.

Today, it's a complete refusal. Complete with "yuk" noises.

I have taken it away and told him he is getting nothing else.

polkadotsrock Tue 21-May-13 17:17:54

Little else you can do OP, tis life with our little darlings. Drives me bonkers too though.

MostPeopleAreMad Tue 21-May-13 17:22:17

Mmm, pasta bake with ham, cheese and onion. Sounds delicious and I want some now

A few weeks back I made some rather delicious chilli con carne which DS (aged 6) enjoyed so much that he had three helpings of it. The next time I made it (using the same recipe), he screamed "This is horrible food!" (It wasn't horrible, honest, it was lovely...)

Ahh, yes, kids and food... wink

dribbleface Tue 21-May-13 19:48:11

I dumped ds1 dinner in the recycling blush, had warned him to either eat it, or if he wasn't hungry to get down from the table and he would only be allowed a banana before bed. He threw his spoon and screamed at me so i disposed of it. He is 5! Arghh

captainmummy Tue 21-May-13 19:49:54

My ds1 was the fussiest child ever.

He quite often went without, simply because he didn't recognise it. His choice.

He's 21 this year.

LaGuardia Tue 21-May-13 21:03:58

You are allowing a two year old to dictate to you? It is the thin end of the wedge. Mine got what they were given. And they loved it too!

Enfyshedd Tue 21-May-13 22:32:50

DSS2 (7) is the same - a complainer that food is too spicy if the flecks of black pepper are too big. DP got fed up of this and made a chicken & vegetable curry a couple of months ago which DSS2 loved and even asked for seconds.

3 weeks ago, we went to an all you can eat asian buffet restaurant where DSS2 happily ate some food that DP found too hot even for himself. A few nights later when DP made the same mild/medium chicken & veg curry again for us all as before, DSS2 was crying because "it's too spicy" while DD (then 11mo) was happily eating pieces of chappatti dipped in the curry - I think she ate curry than her brother!

DP allowed DSS2 a small slice of battenberg that evening before bed, but he prety much went to bed without any tea.

BearFrills Tue 21-May-13 23:04:18

DS is 3yo and will do this too, I think it's just a kid thing TBH.

We don't fuss over food. His plate is put in front of him and if he eats it, he eats it, if he doesn't then he doesn't. We just carry on with the meal as normal and take his plate away when we're finished eating. After our evening meal the DCs always have a yoghurt or some fruit or some cheese for dessert, eaten at the table. We still offer this as it's part of the main meal (again sometimes he eats it, sometimes he doesn't) but once he gets down from the table that's it, meal over and no substitutions.

My theory is that he won't wither away for the sake of one or two refused meals.

DD is 20mo and still fairly compliant, she happily troughs away at her meals but I've no doubt her day will come too!

YANBU. It's frustrating and annoying. Before we reached this point of not making any sort of fuss we had lots of episodes of 'one bite' and 'just taste it' and 'eat it and you can have xyz after' and so on. Just not saying anything about his eating, or lack of eating, is far less stressful and he does tend to be more willing to try food now before saying he doesn't like it rather than simply going off how it looks/smells.

DorisShutt Wed 22-May-13 06:14:37

Nope. Not allowing him to dictate. He asked nicely for something which, as I had no plans for that meal, I agreed to make. DS helped make it, but refused to eat it.

He got nothing else to eat. No dictation allowed. However, as he didn't ask for anything else to eat, I can only assume that he really wasn't hungry - and I'm not going to force him; that way problems lie.

LoveBeingUpAt4InTheMorning Wed 22-May-13 06:22:12

I don't see anything wrong in making that if he asked for it, does he normally help? Could be he wanted to make it but hadn't followed through in his head that he'd have to eat it iyswim

Saski Wed 22-May-13 06:37:27

I'd be sputtering in anger.

There's no understanding what goes on in the brain of a 2 year old. They're insane. Sounds like you're doing all the right things.

FWIW, I have a 7 and 10 year old & while they're good eaters - if I had it to do over again, I would be even more ruthless with "here's dinner- this is what we're eating & this is what you're eating" than I actually was. It's good for them. There's collateral damage along the way, though.

HDEE Wed 22-May-13 06:47:32

He's two and a half! I can't believe people get angry over whether they eat their dinner or not.

I have no idea how much food my three year olds actually take in. It's put on their plates, and if they eat it, they eat it. If not, it gets taken away and nothing more said.

You can't force someone to eat, so there is no pont wasting energy getting upset.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now