Talk

Advanced search

Stupid, bloody "dances" being put on by girls at school

(31 Posts)
Pantone363 Mon 20-May-13 20:21:45

There seems to be a trend at the moment for girls to be allowed to organise and put on dances for the class. It was one occasionally a few terms ago. Today both DD and DS didn't have story time before the end of school because girls in the class had organised a dance to show to everyone.

There's been repeated problems with girls being excluded from dances and it being used to bully and pick on children who are in then out then in then out.

Where is the educational value? Some of the songs the year 6s are using are utterly inappropriate for a primary school. I've spoken to one teacher who seemed to agree but said once they'd said yes once it was unfair to say no to others.

AIBU to think the school should just say a blanket NO from now on?

Pantone363 Mon 20-May-13 20:23:44

The school repeatedly tell us how important it is to read to the children...and then they miss out on having books read to them (some of them probably the only time they get read too) so that little girls can copy some crappy dance off MTV for the class??

ubik Mon 20-May-13 20:25:55

our school insists the dances, are vetted by the head or SMT first - and they are told to practice more/change dance etc

ArtexMonkey Mon 20-May-13 20:27:05

Oh god, this sounds awful op. i don't blame you for being fed up with it.

Can you perhaps suggest to the school that it sounds like it's now impacting too much on lessons and would perhaps be better if they put on an afterschool club for it?

DonDrapersAltrEgoBigglesDraper Mon 20-May-13 20:30:20

Yes, that sounds desperately cringey for all concerned, except the girls involved.

I would ask for it either to be moved after school, or contained to say once a year week or month.

Pantone363 Mon 20-May-13 20:31:11

I'm thinking of suggesting they all have one assembly and get to do their dances all at once and then that's it.

Plus it is always the same girls doing a slightly different dance. They do one then organise another. DS is in year1 and even the girls in his class put one on today hmm

MalcolmTuckersMum Mon 20-May-13 20:35:20

Sounds like it's got way out of hand OP. I'd certainly be saying something - and it's no good them brushing off with "Well we've started it now........" - all that means is "Well, we can't be arsed to do anything about it now........".

It sounds ridiculous to me. Should be a once a term thing at most.

ArtexMonkey Mon 20-May-13 20:37:07

I bet they'd find a way to say no to them if Ofsted were in...

imaginethat Mon 20-May-13 20:39:31

Our school puts on a show once a year to get all these dances out of the way. The acts are vetted, and many refused, for inappropriate song choice/dress.

DuttyWine Mon 20-May-13 20:39:39

Ooh this sounds exactly the kind of thing my dd would love to be dragged into! My dd is in yr 4 and she makes up lots of dances at playtime. Last year she and her friend did one for the talent show but I made sure it was an appropriate song...

I wouldn't want them to perform them to the class as I agree some kids would feel left out and usually they are not very good! Sometimes when her friends come they make up dances and do a strange kind of makaton where they act out each word with an action! I often have to stifle my giggles when they ask me to watch grin

Maybe once a month they could pick a group or individual child to show something at the end of the session? They could pick out of a hat so it was fair to all?

LimeLeaffLizard Mon 20-May-13 20:41:09

Never heard of this before. Doesn't seem a good use of class time.

YANBU

Dozer Mon 20-May-13 20:41:24

Urgh. Yanbu.

ThreeBeeOneGee Mon 20-May-13 20:42:34

My children's primary school has a talent show every Christmas. The teachers tend to only put one act of each genre through. So only the best of the countless dance routines gets through, but DS1 and his friends got through with a rather under-rehearsed escapology act because it was unusual.

I remember dance routines (and the associated friendship / clique issues) at primary school, so this is not a new phenomenon.

CloudsAndTrees Mon 20-May-13 20:43:33

I agree it sounds like its got out of hand. There is no need for Y6 children to be doing this in school time, it's what drama and dance lessons and clubs are for.

I think there is some value to it in reception and KS1, it can build confidence, improve physical development, encourage team work, encourage peer support, and if it's a 'show' rather than a dance it helps the children build their understanding of different things as the ideas often come from books and stories. It can be a good way to expand their imagination and sometimes their language development.

Personally, I would disagree with the hmm you have given for girls in Y1 doing this, but then I work with Early Years so I can find a learning opportunity in just about anything!

WorraLiberty Mon 20-May-13 20:45:43

Are you sure it's just dancing?

My DS's school lets the kids perform whatever they want...singing/dancing/comedy/poetry etc for the rest of the class.

Mind you, I think the only ones interested in performing are the dancers and singers.

bleedingheart Mon 20-May-13 20:47:28

Sounds like it has so much potential for upset -bullying through exclusion etc.
It seems so OTT, why allow it so often? So dull for those watching too.
YANBU

serin Mon 20-May-13 20:47:54

How boring for all the other kids. Is the teacher very inexperienced?

TigOldBitties Mon 20-May-13 20:50:38

I don't think its a current trend as my DS1 is 21 and I remember them doing these sorts of things all the time. I think in the end it became what they did on Friday afternoons while some kids did drawing or whatever and those who wanted to perform or watch performances did that.

I can't see theres massive harm in it, the only negative side would be the bullying but I'm sure the school could resolve that with a bit of organisation. Some kids really enjoy performing, others don't but as long as they aren't interrupting every class I don't see it as an issue.

Sokmonsta Mon 20-May-13 22:24:31

Op yanbu. Dd's reception class went through a phase of this. It was stopped when it became clear that the girls were using it as a way to isolate certain other.

Instead the teacher asked if parents had any CDs they could loan the class as they were going to learn about different genres of music (so they could have more than just the latest tracks) and about movement. They swapped a free play session for the movement session so they didn't lose out on their regular pe lessons.

Permanentlyexhausted Mon 20-May-13 22:38:51

YANBU.

The phrase "Me and x and y want to put on a show" is possibly the one i detest the most during my Brownie meetings. Why on earth would they be getting allowed to do this sort of stuff at school?

gallicgirl Mon 20-May-13 22:42:43

Huh? Shouldn't this take place in PE class?
I can understand the value of public speaking, presentation and debate but this sounds more like a talent show and doesn't belong in the classroom (unless its PE obviously)

MrsKoala Mon 20-May-13 22:43:10

oh god! i remember this from secondary school. There was a group of very showy girls in the year and they were constantly doing dances in the assemblies, at least one per week. These were often buttock clenchingly embarassing as they pranced around doing ill rehearsed moves to songs like Addicted to Love by Robert Palmer.

AmberSocks Mon 20-May-13 22:46:59

YABU

you cant stop kids from doing stuff just in case others feel left out.

PimpMyHippo Mon 20-May-13 22:48:42

I remember this... Even at primary school we would all be cringing! Funny how it was always performed by the cliquey girls who would laugh at the rest of us for not being cool enough - I don't know how they failed to see how cringey their dances were!

Pantone363 Mon 20-May-13 22:49:08

Thank you! I just wanted to check I wasn't being a loon before I mentioned it properly tomorrow.

The hmm about year 1 was mostly because one of the girls came out crying last week because they hadn't had time to do their dance, so time was made to do it today (what should've been story time)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now