Talk

Advanced search

Angelina Jolie

(8 Posts)
madeit Mon 20-May-13 20:13:11

I am pleased Angelina decided to go public about her decision to take steps against being a strong contender to get breast and/or ovarian cancer. As I understand it her mother died from ovarian cancer. You wouldn't know that from some of the press coverage. As an ovarian cancer survivor I find it infuriating that some newspapers and media outlets choose to publise the breast cancer risk but completely omit the ovarian cancer. Ovarian cancer is a very serious disease and people need to know the symptoms. Ladies if you have bloating, a reduced appetite or a feeling that things are just not right in your abdominal region go to your GP. Insist on a CA125 blood test. It's not full proof. It might freak you out but if ovarian cancer is caught earlier the prognosis is generally good. If ovarian cysts show up on a scan during pregnancy insist they are thoroughly checked. If the doctor sends you for a bowel scan and nothing is found insist on being examined by a gyneocolocist. If you are older- 40 plus it is unlikely you are suddenly going to develop irritable bowel syndrome.

raisah Mon 20-May-13 20:37:54

My sister died from ovarian cancer aged 25. Unfortunately it was diagnosed very late and she died 6 months after diagnosis. My dr doesnt take my history seriously enough to send me for a blood test eventhough I have asked many times. Apparantly because I am too young (30's) with kids so am not at risk which is a load of rubbish.

I think the health professionals need to be educated & given training on ovarian cancer. It is shocking the amount of ignorance amongst health professionals re ovarian cancer. It is the biggest silent killer of women, by the time symptoms show it is already too late.

Not a criticism but the title of the thread needs to have the words ovarian cancer to draw more attention to it.

HollyBerryBush Mon 20-May-13 20:39:52

Well I hate to say it, seeing as its so not acceptable to admit to reading it - but the DM covered it at the time.

StrawberryMojito Mon 20-May-13 20:40:31

I read a few articles about Angelina Jolies mastectomy, all mentioned her increased risk of ovarian cancer.

However, I support your efforts to raise awareness.

madeit Mon 20-May-13 22:17:07

Yes you are right do you know if it's possible to change the name of the thread?

caramelwaffle Mon 20-May-13 22:19:59

You can report your thread and ask MN to change the title.

Excellent OP btw.

Bump

JamieandtheMagicTorch Mon 20-May-13 22:20:20

Thanks for the information

You can get the name of the thread changed by reporting your OP to MNHQ (click on Report), then asking them to change the thread title

CherylTrole Mon 20-May-13 22:32:48

Yes OP I wish Ovarian Cancer got talked about more. I really hope that some day soon it will be talked about at the same level as Breast Cancer. There seems to be a high level of late diagnosis.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now