Talk

Advanced search

To think the mobile phone is making us a society of people who never arrive on time...

(6 Posts)
ilovecolinfirth Mon 20-May-13 18:10:30

Gone are the days when we arrange to meet someone and actually arrive on time. It drives me round the bend. I am frequently organising to meet people and know that I will get a message saying they're running late. With certain friends I've even started becoming sloppy and arriving late as I know that I'll be the one waiting, but even if I do arrive late I'm still usually the first to arrive.

I'm not talking about 5 minutes late. This morning I was due to meet my friend in a cafe. She sent me a text 10 minutes after the meeting time to say she was running late. She finally arrived 30 mins late.

I do understand that unavoidable things happen sometimes, but really? In my experience this is now becoming the norm.

angusandelspethsthistlewhistle Mon 20-May-13 18:59:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cardibach Mon 20-May-13 19:07:01

I hate lateness. Don't blame the mobile phone, though, but the view that individuals are more important than society. I blame Thatcher, actually smile

ilovecolinfirth Mon 20-May-13 19:57:21

Haha! I love that...never even considered Thatcher would be responsible for that!

MrsMcEnroe Mon 20-May-13 20:00:20

YANBU.

The mobile has also made us more prone to flakiness, I think - far easier to let someone down at the last minute if you can just send an impersonal text rather than having to actually speak to them and explain yourself ...

Let's ban them!

Lweji Mon 20-May-13 20:23:07

You could reply and say never mind. And go shopping or something.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now