Talk

Advanced search

to take a baby with a mysterious high temperature out?

(14 Posts)
honeytea Mon 20-May-13 13:20:46

I'm a new clueless mum. Ds is 5 months old, he has a high temperature (38 degrees rectally this morning) he has no other symptoms, not cold symptoms no diarrhea.

Usually on a Monday we go to a baby massage class and then baby singing in the afternoon, we stayed at home today to avoid sharing any potential germs with the other babies.

I am wondering if it is unreasonable to give him calpol (his temperature drops down to normal with some calpol) and take him out in his pram to the shops?

jollygoose Mon 20-May-13 13:23:19

calpol wont do him any harm and a walk in the pram is a good idea for keeping him cool and he will probably enjoy the fresh air. Hope he is back to usual self soon.

blueberryupsidedown Mon 20-May-13 13:26:32

Going out in pram is a good idea, but don't overdress him if he has a temp.

WhiteBirdBlueSky Mon 20-May-13 13:26:44

It'll be fine.

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Mon 20-May-13 13:28:06

Some fresh air will do him good. Might help him sleep it off too

honeytea Mon 20-May-13 13:44:16

Thanks for the advice, I wasn't sure if it was socially unacceptable to take him out if he is ill for fear of him infecting other people but he isn't sneezing/coughing or puking so I don't think he is too contagious. smile

Beckamaw Mon 20-May-13 13:46:07

My babies have all had insane temps while teething, along with horrid mucus poo! They all seemed fine otherwise.
You can always head home if necessary.

Noorny Mon 20-May-13 13:47:58

The first thing you should be doing is visiting your GP. This forum is no substitute for medical advice.

BabsCholmondeley Mon 20-May-13 14:27:35

Please take your baby's temperature using a thermometer that goes under his arm or in his ear. There is no need to use an invasive rectal themometer on a baby

blueberryupsidedown Mon 20-May-13 16:00:59

I don't think it's necessary to visit a GP every time a baby has a temperature, if there are no other worrying symptoms and if the temperature is not too high. If the temperature is high or does not come down with paracetamol or ibuprofen, then it's the right thing to do, but the GP would be full of babies with minor (completely normal) minor illnesses such as colds, runny noses, teething, and mild bugs.

honeytea Mon 20-May-13 16:13:15

Thanks for the advice, I think I would be wasting the dr's time if I had taken my baby to the dr because he was slightly warm.

The country I live in recomends rectal thermometers, I have been told they are much more accurate. Childrens medicine is normally given rectally also. Ds doesn't seem to mind.

Lweji Mon 20-May-13 16:15:01

Yes to underarm.
Yes to not go to the doctor at first sign of a fever.
Yes to go to shops if otherwise ok (carrying Calpol).
Yes to not go to baby massage (more tiring to the baby).

Pobblewhohasnotoes Mon 20-May-13 16:18:53

A temp of 38 is not a reason to see a GP!

Actually the recommendation now isn't even to give calpol anymore unless the temp is sky high or for pain, as the thinking now is that you have a temperature for a reason so you shouldn't mask it.

OP yes I would take my baby out, just to the shops.

CrazyOldCatLady Mon 20-May-13 16:22:12

I'd take him out, but not to a baby group. And I probably wouldn't dose him unless he shows other symptoms. I certainly wouldn't bring him to the GP!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now