Talk

Advanced search

To think that Anglian keep cancelling on me because my dh isn't in?

(43 Posts)
notnagging Sun 19-May-13 19:27:24

Second time now. Both times they rang before hand & said they had been delayed. Then asked if my dh would be around. When I've said no he won't they've said they will have to reschedule for when he is. hmm
What's all that about? I've managed to see builders fine by myself. Why do Anglian seem to think I won't manage without him?

StuffezLaYoni Sun 19-May-13 19:29:02

How pathetically insulting. I'd take my money elsewhere and explain why I'd done so.

MisForMumNotMaid Sun 19-May-13 19:30:36

Could it be that they don't want to leave a male sales person exposed by visiting a women home alone?

LunaticFringe Sun 19-May-13 19:30:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AKissIsNotAContract Sun 19-May-13 19:32:01

yeah that is the reason, they are renowned for it. Use a different company.

tripecity Sun 19-May-13 19:32:12

mazylou Sun 19-May-13 19:32:24

They tried that with me too - they want to have you both there together for the hard sell. I told them not to bother coming round. They didn't realise that my partner is a kept man :-)

SugarPasteGreyhound Sun 19-May-13 19:33:41

gallifrey Sun 19-May-13 19:33:54

My friends dp is a window fitter for Anglian and she is always boasting about how much he earns!

WafflyVersatile Sun 19-May-13 19:34:09

They will say that because it is a major investment that both partners should be there as it needs to be a joint decision and they have had many experiences where one has agreed to the work and then the other has objected as they did not also agree.

It's up to you whether you believe that or not, or that it would be the same the other way round...

DressMe Sun 19-May-13 19:34:27

I had exactly the same from another company when I was trying to get a uPVC door fitted.

Would happily see DH on his own but not me, even though it's my house, my money and my bloody door! Gave loads of reasons, none of them good enough.

I went with another company.

dizzy77 Sun 19-May-13 19:35:12

Yes: we've had this with another big window company. Took our business local too (used Which local recommendations) and have been really happy. We didn't get any hard sell just a proper price for the windows we wanted doing, no messing round with "special today only offers" and "let me see if we can do anything here, can I borrow your phone to ring my manager?"

NotAnotherPackedLunch Sun 19-May-13 19:36:06

Can you get your DH to be the only one in when they come round and for him to say "sorry, but you'll have to come back when notnagging is here as I don't make the decisions"?
I used a local window company who were great. The only evidence they saw of DH was my huge bump.

notnagging Sun 19-May-13 19:36:56

Thank you. I was beginning to think I was being paranoid. It is ridiculous. I've had at least 3 other companies around for quotes & none of them treated me like this. I shall stay clear.

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Sun 19-May-13 19:37:32

There is no reason at all that any company needs both people in if all they are coming to do is to measure up and prepare a quote and leave it with you for you to consider.

They want you both there so that they can give you the hard sell and do the 4 hour sit in trying to bully you into signing up on the night with the tonight only offers and the calling of the 'manager'.

They don't do 'measure up quote and leave'. They do 'measure up and refuse to leave for hours and hours'!

I suggest you cancel them altogether and find a local firm.

notnagging Sun 19-May-13 19:38:13

Good idea notanothersmile

TwasBrillig Sun 19-May-13 19:38:35

Local window company was about half the price here. Anglican were awful.

HarrietSchulenberg Sun 19-May-13 19:39:12

They want both of you there as you both have to sign their credit agreement should you fall victim to their hard sell. Assuming that you own the property jointly. They don't want to have to wait for you both to sign (ie they don't want you to have a chance to think it over).
Look for a local company and ask to see examples of their workmanship in your local area.
If you really want to try Anglian tell them that you are the sole homeowner. And be prepared for a long evening - they wouldn't leave my house until I physically held the door open and asked them to go.

notnagging Sun 19-May-13 19:40:52

These experiences don't sound good at all. They were recommended by a friend but will not be ringing them back.

digerd Sun 19-May-13 19:42:47

I had my windows done by Anglian in 2008. I am a widow living on my own. I bartered them down by half, and he jumped at it.
The surveyor came down and wrote that it would take 2 days and the large bow window would need 2 supports.
It was booked for the 18th and 19 January - 18th was cancelled so the 2nd day was a Saturday and I knew they wouldn't want to come then. Got it in writing from Head office that they had to come back on Saturday.

I am always right, and they refused, finished it off in the dark.
The next day one of the windows was not set in right so had the inspector come and they sent the remedial man round. They did not put the supports on.

IncrediblePhatTheInnkeepersCat Sun 19-May-13 19:44:17

YANBU

Do not deal with them. We agreed to let them come and quote when I was doorstepped, as we were gathering quotes from a few places. They called to check that DH would be there, ostensibly for safety, but in reality it is so they can pressure sell you without you using 'I need to talk it through with DH and get back to you' as an excuse.

The rep came to our house at about 7pm and would not leave until 11pm. Seriously. He pulled a made up bolloxy quote out of his arse, that made no sense and was more expensive than other places, as a special, limited time only deal. We told him (as I'd told the door person and the guy on the telephone) that we were only collecting quotes as we had to wait until the insurance company had finished a claim on the house and that could be months away from finishing.

He still tried to hard sell for that night. DH told him that he'd talked himself out of any possible custom from us and yet he wouldn't go. He stood in our kitchen for about 45mins in silence, until DH nearly had to bodily move him.

Once the insurance work was done, we went to a local company down the road who were so friendly, polite, helpful, fairly priced and delivered a fantastic service.

Avoid Anglian like the plague.

TeaMakesItAllPossible Sun 19-May-13 19:49:46

Ooooo. I've had the same this week from them. Calling, checking DH was in and not being able to make appointment when DH wasn't back.

Based on this thread I won't await their input into my decision and will go local. After all it's my bonus that we're using. What a shower of sexist bastards!

Purpletots Sun 19-May-13 19:52:47

They are well known for it. Go for a small local company just make sure they are Fensa registered and offer a 10 year insurance backed guarantee.

FJL203 Sun 19-May-13 19:53:43

Tell them that yes, DH will be home on that date, but not until 8pm. Let them book the appointment. Let them turn up.

Go to the pub at 7.30pm. wink grin

Dawndonna Sun 19-May-13 19:54:33

Anglian are local to me. They're known for being crap. We've just had our Anglian windows replaced with ones that don't let in draughts and have an element of sound proofing too. They're fabulous, unlike the badly fitted rubbish Anglian put in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now