Talk

Advanced search

To think that showing primary children photos of 7/7 was inappropriate?

(12 Posts)
LindyHemming Sun 19-May-13 16:21:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Wishiwasanheiress Sun 19-May-13 16:24:53

I think your projecting somewhat.

I'm not suggesting it was ideal but I don't think it's a massive issue. I was at Aldgate. I fully understand why it might be for you.

burberryqueen Sun 19-May-13 16:25:07

i agree with you, not necessary, it was a shocking image that sticks in children's minds, my children did see it on TV blush when they must have been 7, the other day in a charity shop my now 14 year old showed me a little red bus without a roof, and said, 'look mum, Tavistock Square' which made me realise how ingrained those images are in their minds, and I felt quite ashamed of myself for not removing them quicker.
ramble ramble, but you are right, it is not necessary.

HollyBerryBush Sun 19-May-13 16:27:17

Really? seriously? My children were watching it live on telly, and as DH has a morbid streak, they've probably seen every docu made on the subject too. None of them have got an emotional disorder from doing so. Neither have I from watching the news every night when the IRA was in full swing, indiscriminately murdering people

MissAnnersley Sun 19-May-13 16:28:00

I don't know Euphemia.

Did the children in your class seem upset after the assembly? Did they mention it to you at any other point during the day?

If they did then I guess you could mention it to your HT otherwise I wouldn't bother personally.

Hulababy Sun 19-May-13 16:30:16

I wouldn't have an issue with this. DD is Y6 and she wouldn't be distressed over it. She has been to NYC and see the site of the WTC and the memorials to 9/11, including images from the incident. I am sure she knows about 7/7 too.

LindyHemming Sun 19-May-13 16:33:02

LindyHemming Sun 19-May-13 16:34:56

MissAnnersley Sun 19-May-13 16:36:33

Well if the children are okay I wouldn't be all that worried.

Perhaps there are better examples however I can't think of any at the moment.

It is still a very good example though.

MrsTerryPratchett Sun 19-May-13 16:37:36

The thing is it is a wonderful example. It shows the children that Guide Dogs can deal with really unique and scary situations and enable their visually impaired owners to negotiate life in a way that they would not be able to without the dogs.

Ilovesunflowers Sun 19-May-13 16:38:52

Children need to learn to understand the world. Some things about our world are wonderful. Other things are downright horrible. We can't shelter them from that fact. We can however talk about it and help them to see that these things are awful but are thankfully rare.

LindyHemming Sun 19-May-13 16:38:58

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now