Talk

Advanced search

to think that if you were a member of the would-be groom's family in Mamma Mia, you'd be pretty pissed off?

(26 Posts)
HerrenaLovesStarTrek Sun 19-May-13 16:15:50

I mean, come on. You've trekked all the way to a remoteish Greek island for your darling son/nephew/cousin's wedding and then the bride decided she doesn't fancy marriage, really. And then her mum marries a man who might be the bride's dad due to a spur of the moment proposal.

Yes, you still get good scenery, a nice meal and too many lots of songs, but still. You would be a bit annoyed, right?

HeffalumpTheFlump Sun 19-May-13 16:20:11

A bit.. But Donna was right to marry pierce brosnan because he's seriously yummy blush it's a bit of an older man crush though, he's older than my dad!! grin

HerrenaLovesStarTrek Sun 19-May-13 16:24:43

That would be worse for me - sitting next to my imaginary grumpy DH who's bitching about the flight costs and how it's impossible to get 'proper' food here, trying to tune out his grumbling whilst I lust over the man that has just proposed to another woman oh-so-romantically.

I am an old cynic grin

Icelollycraving Sun 19-May-13 16:28:12

I would marry Pierce Brosnan in a heartbeat. In fact I would do anything with him in a heartbeat.

fackinell Sun 19-May-13 16:34:57

Ahhh but didn't the guy suggest they should go travelling instead but was marrying because it was important to her?

Wouldn't be an issue for us as my man won't do Greece 'cos you have to put big roll in the bin.'
I will win eventually btw!! grin

HeffalumpTheFlump Sun 19-May-13 16:38:40

Icelolly - yes so would I grin

SPsCliffingAllOverMN Sun 19-May-13 16:40:53

Its the singing that would bother me

HerrenaLovesStarTrek Sun 19-May-13 16:41:42

Not disputing Donna's decision at all! It just amused me to think of the AIBU post by the groom's mum:

'DS's wedding was called off at the last minute because his would-be DFiance had a change of heart, even though we'd flown all the way to the arse end of nowhere for his big day. AND THEN his would-be MIL (who I suspect is a big old flirt, incidentally, judging from all the lurking ex-BFs) randomly decided to get married to one of said ex-BFs. AND THEN they sat down for a big meal that WE PAID FOR and never once said anything about returning items on the gift list.'

Heh heh heh grin

fackinell Sun 19-May-13 16:43:39

grin At Herrena!!

HerrenaLovesStarTrek Sun 19-May-13 16:43:45

'Poor old Auntie Mavis flew ALL THE WAY HERE you know. AND she's got sciatica. AND her neighbour is looking after her dog which is poorly and she's fretting, poor thing. Just selfish I call it.'

Yonihadtoask Sun 19-May-13 16:45:11

Ha ha ha. Love this film so much. Am watching now, its even better half a bottle of chardonnay down..

Yea op. Yanbu.

But who cares. Am drooling over Pierce brosnan .. even though he is 60 and can't sing for toffee smile

Hubba Hubba

Yonihadtoask Sun 19-May-13 16:46:16

Ah, but I reckon there was no soppy poem asking for euros for the honeymoon...

crashdoll Sun 19-May-13 16:47:42

The film is utter shite. The stage production is fabulous.

HeffalumpTheFlump Sun 19-May-13 16:47:56

Herrena that's fab :D

Yoni I don't care either, I don't understand why but I even find the bad singing sexy... blush

LottieJenkins Sun 19-May-13 16:54:06

I didnt see much of the Grooms family in the film!! wink

BrianCoxandTheTempleofDOOM Sun 19-May-13 16:57:35

I'm still in shock that "Bill" is in fact Alexander Skarsgård's dad (Eric in True Blood). Although, given the actor is called Stellan (or somethin) Skarsgård it should have been a giveaway!

DD loves MM, I know it word for bloomin' word!

HerrenaLovesStarTrek Sun 19-May-13 16:57:42

maybe they boycotted, lottiejenkins....

'Her mother runs a hotel ALONE, you know. In GREECE. Very unusual.'
<purses lips and sips tea from bone china cup whilst idly stroking pearls>

TravelinColour Sun 19-May-13 17:04:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Yonihadtoask Sun 19-May-13 17:08:47

Ha ha to Sky smile

And why is the priest not Greek?

BrianCoxandTheTempleofDOOM Sun 19-May-13 17:13:45

Why do the Greek work force, who can't speak English, laugh uncontrollably when Meryl and co sing Chiqitita? hmm

HerrenaLovesStarTrek Sun 19-May-13 17:20:45

Ahhh, but he may have chosen that as his alternative name in order to escape from his bourgouis (sp?) upbringing in Tunbridge Wells, Travelin

<clings to theory>

lurkedtoolong Sun 19-May-13 17:29:27

Why do the Greek work force, who can't speak English, laugh uncontrollably when Meryl and co sing Chiqitita? hmm

Because they heard their voices? I'm more concerned about why Donna, who is totally skint, is paying for hundreds of layabouts to work for her doing nothing more than backing vocals.

RedPencils Sun 19-May-13 17:36:28

I'd be too busy trying to turn Colin Firth back.

BrianCoxandTheTempleofDOOM Sun 19-May-13 17:38:19

grin lurked!

twooter Sun 19-May-13 18:01:24

I'd be more pissed off if I my dad got married to a previous fling in front of a possible half-sister, without even informing me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now