Talk

Advanced search

To think it would make sense if family friendly pubs had non breakable cups/plates etc?

(27 Posts)
JazzAnnNonMouse Sun 19-May-13 15:41:49

Went to a pub for lunch today - very family friendly with children's play area outside and inside. There was an under 5s play area too which was lovely.

In this pub they have about 20 high chairs so really catering for young children to eat there except they don't have any plastic plates cups knives forks etc - all children's drinks in glasses (not the plastic that looks like glass) and lunch was a smaller portion on the same type of plates we had ours on. Cutlery all the same too. This was fine for us today as we only have dd (so far!) and can keep a close eye. For people with more than one child (us soon!) I imagine it'd be a challenge and that breakages must be high. I'm also wondering of the safety element of giving children glass.

Wibu to suggest some plastic/non smash able crockery and child size cutlery?

SPsCliffingAllOverMN Sun 19-May-13 15:43:35

I think YABU. My mum has two under 3's and when we go go out they manage not to break anything. My 13 year old brother on the other hand is very good at knocking glasses off the table

Saidar Sun 19-May-13 15:44:19

I don't think that would be an unreasonable suggestion at all. Sounds like a sound idea.

LadyVoldemort Sun 19-May-13 15:45:07

Yanbu about the child size cutlery, maybe a wee bit unreasonable about the plates as they need to learn not to break them anyway.

4yoniD Sun 19-May-13 15:48:50

It would be great if they did, but almost no-where does. I try to remember to take a beaker with me for DD2 - not because she can't use an adult cup, but because it would be chaos if she did smash it. At least plates would probably smash into 2 or 3 pieces, not millions!

JazzAnnNonMouse Sun 19-May-13 15:50:44

Of course children need to learn not to break things but accidents do happen. Children drop things off the side of the high chair all the time whether that's on purpose or by accident.

Haylebop12 Sun 19-May-13 15:51:19

Why don't you take your own cutlery for the children?

Manchesterhistorygirl Sun 19-May-13 15:52:59

You are not being unreasonable, family friendly places could stock up on ikea kids crockery and cutlery.

5madthings Sun 19-May-13 15:53:05

I have five children and manage fine. I take my own cuttlery and plastic cup for those that need them ie my toddler.

ihearsounds Sun 19-May-13 15:54:29

The place will have to replace a couple of plates and glasses a month. Whereas with plastic it will be more frequent because of wear and tear - scratches, biting etc. You could take cup from home with you.

JazzAnnNonMouse Sun 19-May-13 15:54:37

Hayle - I will in future, as it was a family friendly place I assumed they'd have some.

alienbanana Sun 19-May-13 15:59:16

I've not come across anywhere that has non breakable plates - somewhere like Ikea has plastic cutlery and cups, but still use normal plates.

I don't think plastic is as hygenic - germs would get into and scratches. At least with normal stuff it can all go in the dishwasher.

alienbanana Sun 19-May-13 15:59:54

*any scratches

Haylebop12 Sun 19-May-13 16:03:59

Where I uses to work we had small cutlery in, albeit the stainless steel stuff, it just got stolen... Like the glasses hmm

Wishiwasanheiress Sun 19-May-13 16:06:37

Yabu.

Do you not take your own bib? Do you take a sippy cup? Why not ur child's own cutlery? It has not occurred to me to think that anywhere should provide my child with plates/cutlery. I have always known they would be adult ones or side plates so taken my / their own.

I'm a bit amazed tbh by this one. If china gets broke I don't see the issue as its the pubs look out. I've not had a breakage yet in 2yrs. How many have you?

toboldlygo Sun 19-May-13 16:21:34

The hotel I used to work in stopped stocking children's cutlery because it was so frequently stolen.

JazzAnnNonMouse Sun 19-May-13 16:22:35

Well we've not had any breakages but while we were there a family of 3 children broke 2 glasses and a plate.

JazzAnnNonMouse Sun 19-May-13 16:23:58

Just thought it'd make sense to have plastic cups - like at softplay.

Saidar Sun 19-May-13 17:03:00

I can see your point Wish, but OP didn't break anything, just an observation on her part. I used to take sippy cups and bibs. I don't expect to eat my meal from the pan though as most places provide knifes forks and plates etc and I'd expect them to do the same for children whether child proof or not so I'd never take forks or plates.

They must have a few breakages if OP's experience of the family that broke 3 things is anything to go by, it's a good idea and may keep costs down for the business.

If someone could make the stuff in a plastic that didn't scratch or show bote marks and was dishwasher safe to boot they'd make a fortune.

VonHerrBurton Sun 19-May-13 17:31:14

They probably don't want to completely alienate adults by making them feel like they're in softplay!

JazzAnnNonMouse Sun 19-May-13 17:33:49

Well they don't have to exclusively have plastic... Could they not have glass for adults and plastic for children??

Judyandherdreamofhorses Sun 19-May-13 17:47:06

Do you really 'worry about the safety' of giving children glass?

I think that one of the nice things about eating out with children is that they try different things, which includes different crockery etc.

But then, I avoid 'family friendly' pubs.

FreddieMisaGREATshag Sun 19-May-13 17:49:26

But it's not softplay. It's a normal place, that happens to cater to children too. If you want plastic cups, plates, and special glasses and cutlery, take your own.

I have taken all of mine out since they were very small to very many places. Never had a plastic plate with me. Or small cutlery. Or, once they were past the sippy cup stage, a special glass. They've never broken anything.

ZolaBuddleia Sun 19-May-13 17:50:20

DD is 3 and has never broken a plate or a glass. Maybe they have them at soft play because children turn into sweaty wild eyed savages the moment they get through the door. grin

BramblyHedge Sun 19-May-13 17:53:35

My three kids use crockery, glasses and adult cutlery. They are 7 4 and 2.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now