Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To turn down the offer of a new job?

(17 Posts)
skyblue11 Sat 18-May-13 14:19:37

So this is my situation that I have created, we have recently been TUPE’d over at work, I have been with the council for 12 years and the new company are making changes to the way they work and I don’t doubt that may mean job losses long term, who knows?
My T & C’s are good, flexi, 30 week contract, 1 non working day per week, term time, at a reasonable pay, not fantastic but hey ho. I have a good pension company and sick pay if I need it (no days sick in 7 years), I do have a health condition which may fluctuate in the future though so that concerns me. I applied because I wanted security and not to work in the pressured ‘call centre’ mentality we are moving to.
I got the job, out of 140 applicants, great ego boost but now I am not sure I want it. I have a list of pros and cons of course and the cons are greater but I am thinking in this current climate it would appear ungrateful and also my future may not be good. All what ifs but I am in turmoil. It would mean massive changes, still same hours but very inflexible and working every day. No term time contract, no transferable pension, it would take me 5 years service to get to where I am.
Travel would be difficult, at the moment I can get a bus or car share, job offer has no parking and public transport 2 buses and a walk either end. I feel I’m damned if I do and damned if I don’t!
Pay is less (slightly) but as I would not be term time then it would be more per month.
Also I am old(er) 51 so I was gobsmacked to be offered it so I have proved I can do it but now I have do I want it? Help!!!

FarBetterNow Sat 18-May-13 14:25:09

What is TUPE?

skyblue11 Sat 18-May-13 14:27:10

Where you transfer over on the same rights terms conditions..

mikkii Sat 18-May-13 14:31:24

TUPE is transfer of undertakings (protected employment) what it really means is that the time you spent with the original employer is carried forward to the new employment and treated as continuing service. This is relevant for pension rights, pay, eye fits, holiday rights as potentially redundancy entitlement.

Taking the new job would give you a breathing space to look for one thing else.

mikkii Sat 18-May-13 14:31:40

Sorry something else.

skyblue11 Sat 18-May-13 15:05:06

But I would lose the T & C's I have now... its the pension that bothers me and loss of flexi

SueDunome Sat 18-May-13 15:19:42

Why did you apply for the job / what are the pros? You have listed the cons, but not really mentioned the pros.
Is the new job similar to the old one or totally different? Do you want career change?
If you've only moved because of the TUPE, because you fear possible future redundancies, I would stay where you are. The other benefits you mention are too good to give up, unless the new job is your dream job and a career change.
Even if you do get made redundant, you will get a substantial payout because of your length of service. You are extremely unlikely to be in this position again and, presumably the new job is private sector, there is no guarantee that you won't be made redundant in your new job either. Remember, it is easy and cheap to get rid of people within their first two years of service.

skyblue11 Sat 18-May-13 15:25:49

Pros....security? Not as stressful, same work, nicer environment. I feel as I have got this far I should take it, but I feel so wary as I have a lot to loose.

SueDunome Sat 18-May-13 18:27:48

How do you know it will be less stressful?
Having worked both in public sector and private sector, I'd say that private sector jobs are more stressful, unless you are talking about a top management position.

In the public sector, people tend to work in large teams where everyone is protected and the blame is never put on an individual for human error. In the private sector it's more likely that you will be the sole person doing a particular job, so your job your responsibility.

skyblue11 Sat 18-May-13 20:17:03

Good point Sue, everyone at work will think I'm mad though, we are going through such a time of change everyone wants out. I just think you think the grass is greener and all that but reality is I will lose out on my free time, which depending on your outlook, I'd rather have that than money.

skyblue11 Sat 18-May-13 20:18:47

Some colleagues have said go.... other ones my age have a different view, better the devil you know.

Noorny Sat 18-May-13 21:03:48

I TUPE staff over all the time and the basic rule of TUPE is the new contract must be at least as good or better than the original. If I received a TUPEd employee on £12 an hour and my new contract stated £11 per hour that would be illegal.

skyblue11 Sun 19-May-13 09:42:25

It's not the TUPE but the way they are turning us into a call centre, logging work/calls etc. And the way they are looking at the way we work only means one thing. I just don't know what to do.

BestParentEver Sun 19-May-13 09:53:14

Sounds like the job offer is inconvenient for you. Can you negotiate on the contract? I mean it's clear they want you so may be a bit flexible for you to sweeten the deal?

skyblue11 Sun 19-May-13 12:18:17

I think I have talked myself out of this....I just calculated I would be about £125 per month better off but.....I now have a term time contract which gives me 12 weeks of leave (half unpaid of course) and I have a non working day cos I consolidate my hours so instead of 100 days per year I wouldn't work, I would be entitled to just 24 per year so in effect I'd lose 3/4 of my time out for £125 per month. As I can live to my means at the moment, and my health may deteriorate I think it's a no brainer. What do you all think, what would you all do? I forgot to add I'm the appointee for my disabled brother and my mum is needing more support now she's getting frailer so that adds weight to it.

skyblue11 Sun 19-May-13 12:20:08

Bestparent......they all have 40 weeks contract but wanted the only admin to be 52 for cover I don't think they'd lessen that and the hours are non flexible, if they could give me that I would be up for it. I just thought they might move a bit at interview as you never know until you go to these things to see how the land lies but it's not to be this time round. I just think they will all think I'm a bit daft going for a post when I know the hours etc

SueDunome Sun 19-May-13 16:47:35

Don't worry about what other people might think, your happiness is what matters.
If nothing else, you have proved that you are still very much employable. If you decide the new job is not right for you, there will be other jobs advertised and you can apply with confidence knowing you have skills that employers are looking for and that you can do well at interview.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now