Talk

Advanced search

to not want to do dc's homework?

(12 Posts)
ditavonteesed Sat 18-May-13 10:12:21

I am really I know, but there homework this term includes make an edible house, make a board game, make a mini beast out of food, last term we had to make a dalek out of paper mache. I have recently started work and am doing an access course, I would really like it if I didnt have to spend the entire weekend making stuff for homework that kids couldnt possibly do on their own. I enjoy doing craft stuff with dcc but these activities take hours, wreck the house and involve more of my work than the kids.

Littleturkish Sat 18-May-13 10:14:44

How old are they? Is it optional? Do they get a task like this each week??

How much guidance on how to make it do you get from the school?

YANBU

Cherriesarelovely Sat 18-May-13 10:17:32

Some of those homework projects sound fun but hugely time consuming!! I agree with you, particularly the robot from paper mache! I can appreciate that they would be a nice thing to do say once a year or for a competition but frequently, over the weekend for a homework assignment, no way!

ditavonteesed Sat 18-May-13 10:18:55

they have a project like this every week, they are 7 and 9 so Y2 and Y4, I just want to spend some weekends chilling and relaxing at home but I feel guilty about this.

ditavonteesed Sat 18-May-13 10:19:30

the dalek was well cool but I ended up making it and dd1 painting it.

Cherriesarelovely Sat 18-May-13 10:19:53

Every week??? That is ridiculous! I would complain.

schooldidi Sat 18-May-13 10:20:34

YANBU. I'm dreading dd2 starting school in case she gets loads of this type of homework. Dd1 didn't but she was at a different school than dd2 will go to, so i'm not sure how much of this stuff we'll be expected to do here. If it's more than one piece like this per term we won't be doing it, or we'll be doing it the easy way.

Edible house - cut a house shape out of taost and decorate it.
Mini beast - chocolate roll with smarties stuck along the bottom and a face drawn on in writing icing.
Paper mache - not being done in this house <stubborn>

Buzzardbird Sat 18-May-13 10:21:12

I think its bollocks and if the parents are doing it then it teaches the child nothing. I would refuse and state why.

Patosshades Sat 18-May-13 10:22:11

Teacher must think she's gifting some quality bonding time for her pupils families grin
Too right you should be able to put the feet up and relax at the weekends, I would complain at the frequency of these projects also.

ditavonteesed Sat 18-May-13 10:22:58

schooldidi, thanks edible house was killing me trying to work it out that is perfect.

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Sat 18-May-13 10:23:15

I would also complain about this! Is this homework on top of the usual literacy and numeracy homework that you'd expect?

YANBU.

Cherriesarelovely Sat 18-May-13 10:24:16

I teach year 2 and never or rarely give out hugely time consuming projects like that. What about the poor kids who visit their other parent at the weekend or have hobbies like football or dancing classes? What if people want to go away? I will stop now and just say YA definitely NBU!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now