Talk

Advanced search

To be considering this free holiday.....

(41 Posts)
Filibear Sat 18-May-13 08:00:56

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

LittlePebble Sat 18-May-13 08:03:41

Oh my god GO!

A year is a long time for DC plus one bad holiday doesn't mean this one will be. What possible reasons do you have not to go?

TigerSwallowTail Sat 18-May-13 08:04:06

Yes you should go. It was only awful last time as there was nothing in the way of entertainment for children but you know this place well so will know if there's a lot to keep kids amused or not.

Facebaffle Sat 18-May-13 08:06:55

You can't stop going on holiday just because of one bad experience.

People go on holiday with kids of all ages without any problems.

How old is your ds?

Filibear Sat 18-May-13 08:11:47

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

cosysocks Sat 18-May-13 08:27:15

If DH refuses, go with your mum and DS. Sounds like you could do with the break and your mum wants company.

Euphemia Sat 18-May-13 08:28:38

Where is it? Is there stuff for kids?

Cabrinha Sat 18-May-13 08:35:42

Why was it a disaster last time?
Kids don't need play areas - the world is a playing area.
Granted, they're good fun and can make life easy - but really, you can't find any way to entertain him without a slide and a pool?
Go on the holiday, explore the area, make lines on the beach with pebbles, talk to old ladies in shops, race each other in local parks, collect leaves etc.

Cabrinha Sat 18-May-13 08:37:35

Just saw the trip is somewhere you used to live - so easy to find parks etc. Go.

FarBetterNow Sat 18-May-13 08:40:37

Go on your own with your Mum (and DS of course)- presuming you get on well.

It will be lovely.

BarredfromhavingStella Sat 18-May-13 08:44:37

Completely agree with Cabrinha we took DD away when she was 1 & had a lovely time-the beach has plenty of sources of entertainment for a child!! We'll be going again this year, DD will be 4 while we're there & DS will be nearly 2-you can't let 1 holiday stop you going away again, GO.

juneau Sat 18-May-13 08:47:35

One disastrous holiday with DC is just that - so don't let it ruin your future plans. Different DC are hard work at different times, but yes I can well see that a baby in a hot country with no childcare or facilities would be hard work. Go. It sounds like you and your mum want to go - so do it.

Buzzardbird Sat 18-May-13 08:47:48

I was thinking that cab. We avoid anywhere with entertainment. We find our own/take colouring/bucket and spade etc.
<dreaming of s/c holiday,not having breakfast when hotel demands type thing>

Filibear Sat 18-May-13 08:48:41

raisah Sat 18-May-13 09:14:19

Go because each time you go you will get better at handling the situation good and bad. I would suggest that you go off peak so its not baking hot as July/August as it will be bit more comfy for your ds. We went to Spain during easter & it was already 26 degrees then. I wouldnt attempt it during high summer season.

LIZS Sat 18-May-13 09:20:21

sc sounds more suitable . If you know the area it shouldn't be hard to find appropriate parks and attractions to break up the day. In most hot countries it is normal for children to stay up later (when cooler) and have a longer nap during the day after lunch.

Filibear Sat 18-May-13 09:23:08

Fedupnagging Sat 18-May-13 09:24:16

You should go - sounds like you need a break and its good experience for your ds. Lively 2yr olds are a handful wherever you are!

From our experience, our holidays when the boys were young were hard work but ultimately worth it. Self catering will make it a bit easier and if your ds eats yoghurt and chips for the entire week, don't worry!

LIZS Sat 18-May-13 09:25:02

If that is the case , one of you stays with him and the others still get a break - by the pool, walk etc. Rent somewhere with a/c

theoriginalandbestrookie Sat 18-May-13 09:27:50

Definitely go for it. It sounds like your last holiday was rubbish because you were unlucky with no play areas etc. Can you take your DS to the swimming pool a few times between then and now to get DS used to it?

Definitely avoid school holidays if you can, will be too hot for your DS. S?C is good because you can eat when you want, we found at that age, DS would sleep in his buggy if we took him out later to have our evening meal.

TeWiSavesTheDay Sat 18-May-13 09:34:01

I think the last holiday was bad luck really - you tried something thinking it would suit DS and it didn't. Self-catering in an area you know will be a totally different experience (hopefully better!)

I think you should go - good luck.

CheshireDing Sat 18-May-13 09:57:39

You could go with DS and leave DH at home if he doesn't want to go.

IL's suggested to us the other week about us all going on holiday abroad together. So far I have told DH he and pfb can go but I don't want to. From my situation just because they would be paying doesn't mean I SHOULD go if I don't want to, the holiday would be the total opposite of the type we would have gone on, MIL fusses, they need to eat at very set times etc, they don't swim so couldn't take pfb off our hands for a bit in the sea/pool etc. Would rather boil my head.

Go if your Mum won't drive you crazy and you enjoy her company, otherwise that will not be a holiday for you. If you both get along I am sure you can find ways to entertain DS.

Filibear Tue 21-May-13 10:36:46

Lulabellarama Tue 21-May-13 10:39:43

Just go. If your DH doesn't want to then that's his decision.

lionheart Tue 21-May-13 10:40:51

Then go without your DH.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now