Talk

Advanced search

Ok. let's have it. AIBU, or is DH?

(11 Posts)
loopylou6 Fri 17-May-13 23:48:01

dh has fallen out with his bro.

the bro had been telling people, that ds is not dh's.Christmas night her ear texting dh,v calling me insulting names, he didn't invite us to his dd christening, he is very spiteful, he's told loads lof lies about me...

tonight, myself and dh have argued, because he says he would be there for his brother if he needed him. I've took offence, because, after what he's said about me, I find it difficult to understand why dh would still want to be there for him - had it been my family saying hurtful things about dh, I would be seriously pissed off.

I have had wine, so understand if my view is screwed, hence asking you lovely lot. smile

IneedAsockamnesty Fri 17-May-13 23:53:12

You are.

Your adults he gets to make that choice for him and you get to make it for you as long as neither expect the other to go along with personal choice or join in with it there is nothing wrong with making a different choice.

mynewpassion Fri 17-May-13 23:55:32

I think that your DH should support you and defend you. He's already fallen out with his brother.

However, there are special circumstances (death/illness) that sometimes people need to set aside their differences for the moment and help each other out. I think this is along the lines of what your DH is thinking of.

SolidGoldBrass Fri 17-May-13 23:56:39

Your poor DH, like all abuse victims (his brother is abusive) wants the person to stop being abusive and love him. That's all he meant. You are not helping by being a self-righteous whinyarse about it.

Yabu I'm afraid, he can hate what his brother has done without hating his brother. Don't put him in the position of choosing, its not fair.

loopylou6 Fri 17-May-13 23:59:22

thanks you two. I'm amazed that I got such calm, measured opinions smile

loopylou6 Sat 18-May-13 00:01:51

thanks, for the replies, I'm digesting them.

I'm off to bed soon tho, so please don't think I'm being ignorant.

I'm welcoming all replies.

craftycottontail Sat 18-May-13 00:02:44

I'm with missymoo, it's not fair to make him choose. Everyone has a tolerance level where they are willing to forgive / get past things and you've reached yours which is fair enough. But don't make your DH feel guilty for trying to be the bigger person with his brother.

MomsNetCurtains Sat 18-May-13 05:17:21

I don't think YABU at all.

I would expect my DH to be on my side and to defend me if his DB had bad mouthed me with no good reason. Without question.

When my DS said something wholly un-called for about DH (she IS a PITA to everyone) I defended him immediately as he had done nothing wrong. It was a nasty personal comment; he had done nothing 'to' her to warrant name-calling.

He 'chose' me when he decided to marry and start a family with me.

His DB needs to be put in his place unless there is a good reason for why your BIL is being a PITA? What piece of the puzzle are we missing here, if any?

quesadilla Sat 18-May-13 08:18:39

I don't blame you for being highly pissed off, your DH's bro sounds like a world class wanker but you can't reasonably expect him to cut all ties with a family member.

IneedAsockamnesty Sat 18-May-13 10:08:11

You can still defend someone without having to cut off the person who is upsetting them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now