Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think this is abilist?

(28 Posts)
Sparhawk Fri 17-May-13 21:38:10

A while back I was discussing sensory groups in my area with people at my local mother and baby group, one person mentioned that a local group actually charged more money to bring a child if they have a disability. I was pretty angry when I heard this. Surely this is discriminatory?

I work for a well known charity that campaigns for equal rights for those with learning disabilities and I'm wondering whether this is something I should bring to their attention.

AIBU?

TheEndOfMyLastWit Fri 17-May-13 21:41:41

Huh?

Do you mean disablist?

Sparhawk Fri 17-May-13 21:42:58

My mistake, I mean; ableist my spell check let me down.

itsnothingoriginal Fri 17-May-13 21:47:51

Definitely check it out. Sounds pretty shock to me if that is the practice of this group to charge MORE for disabled children normally it's the other way around..

AgentZigzag Fri 17-May-13 21:49:35

I would probably find out a bit more about exactly why (if in fact they do) they charge more for a child with a disability before going anywhere with it.

Can't think why they'd do that though, and I can't imagine it going down very well with any of the users of the playgroup regardless of whether their child has a disability or not.

I didn't know ableism meant the same as disabilsm, didn't even know it was a word tbh. You live and learn.

Sparhawk Fri 17-May-13 21:49:38

I'm assuming they're working on the assumption that disabled children are more likely to cause damage/more trouble, but that's just a guess. I'm temped to go and ask myself in case the person who told me wasn't being truthful, but I really doubt that's the case.

PollyPlummer Fri 17-May-13 21:50:59

Really ? Wow.
Its worth checking out but I really don't see how a group would get away with it or why they would even do it in the first place.
How well do you know the woman who told you ?

ChippingInLovesSunshine Fri 17-May-13 21:51:27

Maybe the person who told you misunderstood?

Sparhawk Fri 17-May-13 21:51:50

I've only met her a few times but she's employed by the organisation that runs the group.

anastaisia Fri 17-May-13 21:54:04

Depends? If it's because (just examples) they provide longer or exclusive sessions for disabled children, or put additional staff on duty so parents can get a short period of respite then it wouldn't be discriminatory IMO, just that they'd be offering a different service.

If they offer the exact same sessions but for a different price that's not okay.

PollyPlummer Fri 17-May-13 21:54:14

I would be very surprised and sad if she is right.
I used to work with adults with LD. I never encountered community groups charging more for us to join in. Not to say there is not discrimination out there - sadly there is, it just seems a bit hmm

AgentZigzag Fri 17-May-13 21:54:15

'I'm assuming they're working on the assumption that disabled children are more likely to cause damage/more trouble,'

Surely nobody would think that (apart from you? (sorry)), let alone carry it through into a pricing structure for playgroup??

Sparhawk Fri 17-May-13 21:56:02

You'd be surprised ZigZag, through the charity I've heard of plenty of occasions when disabled people have been charged more to access services and experienced it myself when supporting the people I work with.

DoubleLifeIsALifeHalved Fri 17-May-13 21:56:54

Shocking if actually true - defo find out more and complain loudly if it's the case.

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 17-May-13 22:00:29

I know playgroups that charge less, but never more?! Do you think she/you got the wrong end of the stick?

Sparhawk Fri 17-May-13 22:00:46

anastasia that's a very good point, this is why I'm wondering whether to mention it. I guess it means I'm going on an outing to see what the deal is. smile

PeneloPeePitstop Fri 17-May-13 22:01:35

Welcome to the world of SN.
If you put SN before anything - pushchair, stabilisers whatever you can at least treble the price.

It's truly shit. I could do with some large stabilisers to help DS1 learn to ride a bike (he's nearly 5ft at 9 and can't do it without) but at £110 I just can't do it....

All too common, sadly.

PeneloPeePitstop Fri 17-May-13 22:02:43

Oh, and childminders locally charge double for SN kids as they have to drop their ratios for a SN child so you have to compensate the loss of earnings.

Factor in additional laundry costs/damaged clothes/furniture replacement, increased utility bills in general and that's what the DLA goes on...

Sparhawk Fri 17-May-13 22:05:16

I've never worked with anyone with physical disabilities, so I've never encountered that. sad I did once try to take a person I supported on a short boat trip at a park, they clearly had a learning disability and the boat driver tried to charge us more to get on. I challenged him and eventually his boss got involved and told me the driver must have been confused about the prices. I was very hmm about it.

WorraLiberty Fri 17-May-13 22:06:03

I just can't imagine a conversation between two people, where one person mentioned that a local group actually charged more money to bring a child if they have a disability...and the other doesn't ask "Why?"

Were you not particularly interested in the conversation?

Sparhawk Fri 17-May-13 22:13:05

At the time I wasn't really thinking that much about it, Worra. I have to admit the conversation happened several months ago too, I only remembered it after my DM suggested I take DD to a sensory room.

My brain has been completely fuddled since I've had her. blush

Sparhawk Fri 17-May-13 22:16:49

Ugh, I realize I'm not making much sense now either. I was angry when I heard about it but at the time it didn't occur to me that I should do something about it.

Anyway, I'm going report my thread. I realize that I have't explained myself very well and I don't want people to think I'm trolling. If it turns out it's true I'll post another thread about it.

AgentZigzag Fri 17-May-13 22:35:51

Aww, don't report it, it's just AIBU posters ferreting about for things in an OP.

Which I did as well.

You're not trolling in the slightest.

It'd be completely unreasonable if they were charging more, and if Pens experiences are telling her not to be surprised maybe it's more widespread than people think?

PeneloPeePitstop Fri 17-May-13 22:40:53

Oh yes, my points weren't made out of any anger with the OP at all, it's more the situation I am angry at, which isn't of the OP's making!

flanbase Fri 17-May-13 22:46:17

Saprhawk - can't see what's wrong with what you've posted. You should bring the higher fees to the attention of the charity so it can explain and help sort the situation out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now