Talk

Advanced search

To think sometimes PND is used as an excuse for organisations to give new mums the runaround?

(9 Posts)
MiaowTheCat Fri 17-May-13 20:16:03

Fairly well known we're having a mildly shit time with DD2 at present. I'll admit I have mental health issues - namely a diagnosed anxiety disorder, basically PTSD from the hell we got put through with the birth of DD1 but when they diagnosed that, they ruled out depression - it's purely this anxiety issue I have.

Anyway - we're being led a merry dance with the health system in terms of finding out what the hell is wrong with DD2 (it's reflux type issues but now looking more like allergies are at the root of it all) - I've been sent from GP to health visitor, back to GP, back to health visitor who then rang the dietician who rang the GP who rang the health visitor who rang me (starting to sound like the old lady who swallowed a fly by this point)... to get to the point we're at at the moment with a short-term trial of Neocate to see if that helps things... oh and they want bloods done - but to do that I had to ring the GP to be told to ring the hospital to be told to ring the GP for the blood form and then ring the hospital again to get the hospital to do them - but they can't do the taking of blood for another 3 weeks - and in the meantime the one-off batch of Neocate they've prescribed is ticking over and they won't prescribe anything else until the bloods are back.

So needless to say I'm feeling somewhat worn down and frustrated by this and think that the system is taking the piss totally. Yet every time I raise how distressing this is to be stuck with a baby suffering and in masses of pain with a horrific skin rash - I just get them immediately saying "Oh you've probably got PND" and dodging out of the subject in hand - it's almost beginning to seem like it's a handy get-out clause for if any mother tells them that they're becoming fed up with these sort of antics they launch into PND mode and ignore what's actually being said. I guess it's a somewhat more advanced version of when men shrug off anything that's annoying their partners as "that time of the month".

I ain't depressed at all - worn down by dealing with an idiotic system, worried about what's the next step if this doesn't work and wanting answers - but definitely not depressed and just sick of them using that idea as a fob off to ignore what's being actually said!

TheDetective Fri 17-May-13 20:27:23

Miaow how old is DD? Going through exactly the same thing with my own DS who is coming up to 6 months.

I don't have any MH issues, but I've had the same run around. I'd like to type more, but I'm shattered after a refluxy baby day, and I'm not sure coherent sentences are forthcoming.

Just to say, I'm on the Nov 12 PN thread, and there are at least 6 mums/babies going through the same thing. We are all fighting the system when it comes to reflux and intolerances.

It's like no one gives a shit about a baby who is in pain. Makes me angry. Only if your baby isn't gaining weight does someone do anything!

We've been on this road since he was 10 weeks. He's not yet been seen by the (urgent referral) paeds that the GP referred him to. His appt is for the end of May when he is 27 weeks!!! Same for the dietician appt, it's the next day. The GP refused to prescribe meds/milk.

I ended up taking him to A&E in another town and getting all lioness mama over it. Luckily I work in another department at that hospital. So I was seen, given meds, and had a paeds appt for 10 days later. I've had to fight every step though. I feel like I'm just floundering around with the whole thing.

Sorry you are going through it too. But I'd just tell them no, it has nothing to do with your MH, and be assertive if they try to push it that way. smile

Natmu Fri 17-May-13 20:43:53

Miaow we've been there too. I've had to practically diagnose everything myself. When I went to GP about DS's reflux and eczema she said 'it's the time of year because you've got the heating on'!! Makes my blood boil that DS2 has had to suffer for months because of so called health 'professionals' who don't know the first thing about allergies, intolerances etc. I ended up speaking unofficially to a paediatrician who said to try a dairy and soya free diet (DS is ebf) which has worked miracles. Still had no official appointments for him. First one they could manage was end of June (we've been waiting since Feb). It's enough to bring on PND if you didn't have it before!!!

As TheDetective says, I think you just have to keep on insisting. Good luck.

stargirl1701 Fri 17-May-13 20:53:17

I hear you. My appt for a PND assessment came through long before DD's appt for the paediatrician. The psychologist concluded I do not have PND - I have a normal reaction to a very stressful situation.

It's just not right.

ouryve Fri 17-May-13 20:57:47

Are you with your DP, Miaow. It sounds like a bit of a cop out, regarding the attitude you're facing, but if he can take your DD2 to her next appointment, they can hardly accuse him of being over-anxious due to PND.

TheDetective Fri 17-May-13 21:04:44

Same here Natmu I've had to do all the diagnosing, and asking for xyz meds/milk. This all started in feb too. sad

Meerkatwhiskers Fri 17-May-13 21:28:52

Speaking as a healthcare professional, unfortunately if you have pre-existing mental health issues that puts you in a higher risk group for developing PND even if you didn't have it with your previous DC and there is already a 10% chance of getting PND anyway. So from your GP's point of view you do have an increased risk and if you haven't had depression before you are unlikely to recognise the symptoms in yourself (speaking from personal experience).

However, before formally diagnosing you there is a questionnaire that you should be filling in that will say whether you are likely to have PND so he should have asked you to fill that in before saying 'you've probably got PND' so that was tactless to say the least.

Just keep on his back or go and see another GP as it sounds like you aren't getting anywhere with this one. If the worst comes to the worst change surgery as you need a supportive GP.

TheDetective Fri 17-May-13 21:34:07

But it shouldn't matter if she does or doesn't Meerkat. The fact is, health care surrounding babies when it comes to reflux and/or intolerance, is just shocking.

Natmu Sat 18-May-13 20:03:33

Totally agree Detective. Meerkat I had PND following birth of DS1 and was very well looked after as you describe. I had no complaints about the way my situation was handled at all but I find it frustrating that DS2 has been swept aside by various GP's apparently because they are under the impression that 'most of them grow out of it'. This may be true but I am not prepared to let DS2 suffer while he 'grows out of it'. To say nothing of the strain it puts on the rest of the family.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now